Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Now You Can Master Any DSLR Camera And Take Gorgeous, Attention-Grabbing Photos
Follow these step-by-step video tutorials.
Posts for: tschuler
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Apr 14, 2019 09:42:30   #
I don't understand. Every Nikon camera I have purchased came with a printed manual (and I have several Nikon, and only Nikon, cameras). Do other manufacturers not include a printed manual?
 
Now You Can Master Any DSLR Camera And Take Gorgeous, Attention-Grabbing Photos
Follow these step-by-step video tutorials.
Apr 14, 2019 09:07:44   #
Those who advise check before you shoot are advising the obvious. The problem is for those who are distracted and forgetful (me). My first shot out of the camera bag is usually good because for some reason it is automatic to check the settings in the viewfinder. The problem is my forgetfulness as I go along and take more photos. I am shooting landscape photography the vast amount of times and it's easy to forget as I move from sunlight to shade and back.

Last weekend, on one of my hikes, I was trying to shoot some butterflies. Not only forgetfulness frustrated me, but the speed from shot to shot because of the resistance of the butterflies to stay in one place, was a challenge for me.
Mar 22, 2019 23:17:22   #
Because the vast majority of my photography is landscape, I have a CP on all my lenses. I have had 2 of the filters broken when my camera has been in the overhead bin on airplanes. There was no damage to the lenses and the lens cap was on the camera in both situations. The filters are all Nikon branded for Nikon cameras.
Jan 22, 2019 18:37:45   #
foxfirerodandgun wrote:
We were blessed with clear skies, after a section of thin clouds passed by around 9:30 pm, but it was very cold & windy.


foxfirerodandgun, we are from the same neck of the woods. I'm near Mansassas. It was not only cold and windy for the moon eclipse... it was extremely cold and windy (for VA). My thermometer said 12 degrees, and with the wind that we had, the wind chill surely was way below zero. The wind was so bad, I had a hard time keeping my camera and tripod from swaying. I tried to snap shots in between gusts of wind.

After being outside for one minute, I could barely operate my camera. It's impossible to make adjustments with gloves on, so my fingers would freeze up immediately. Like you, my photos were disappointing. I tried using live view to focus, and from the difficult position to view the screen, the moon appeared to me to be in focus. However, I was so cold and my eyes aren't the greatest. I guess my focusing was just not good enough.
Jan 18, 2019 15:29:51   #
Jan 15, 2019 17:45:56   #
I have a Lenovo with i5 processor and Win 10. This happens to me intermittently when I open a JPEG with the Windows included program "Photos". I also use ASeeDSee and Photoshop frequently to open JPEG's, but never had the problem occur with them. It only occurs on Windows "Photos".
 
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
Jan 10, 2019 17:41:46   #
sbohne wrote:
Man, after nearly 20 years I still can't believe there is confusion on this. Here we go:

A RAW file is all the data from the sensor capture. Your RAW files will need post-processing. When you open them as is, they are flat and lifeless...


I use Photoshop CC 2015. When I double click on my NEF files (Nikon RAW files) they open in the Camera Raw part of Photoshop. My photo does not look flat and lifeless. It looks similar to the equivalent JPG photo. Am I doing something wrong and are my photos lacking any of the PP that should be available to RAW files? Am I really processing the RAW file?
Jan 4, 2019 17:19:24   #
Smudgey wrote:
This is great if the police dept. will cooperate. I had my iPad stolen in LV. I was able to tell the police where it was by using the find my phone app. They said that unless someone was hurt, they couldn't help me.


Someone was hurt! YOU. You should have told them that you were hurt. You were not hurt physically, but you were both financially and mentally.
Dec 23, 2018 03:45:30   #
rook2c4 wrote:
In other words, you want a tripod that folds up to a selfie stick? What do you want to attach to this imagined tripod/selfie stick hybrid thing - a smart phone or a dedicated camera? How do you want the built-in remote communicate with your camera device? Bluetooth, Wifi or cable?


I can't imagine how difficult it would be to hold a selfie stick with my Nikon D4s attached.
Dec 18, 2018 12:43:52   #
f8lee wrote:
I dunno - maybe because the music or publishing companies don't hire singers and writers to put on the weekly payroll (with all the ancillary costs that entails) in the hopes that they will produce a big blockbuster? If you are taking a regular salary you assume no risk. If I am a starving artist with dreams that I will make it big, I assume all the risk (and may starve to death while doing so). That might explain it.


Just because one works for a company doesn't mean you take no risk. Have you ever heard of layoffs? Our industry has experienced many companies with many layoffs. I myself was laid off. Hundreds of companies in the software industry have gone under.
Dec 18, 2018 01:35:02   #
f8lee wrote:
I thought that when you work for a company the product you create is owned by that company, similar to how (as I understand it) the copyright for shots taken by a photographer working for NatGeo (not a stringer, but a full time shooter back in the day) belong to his or her employer, NatGeo.


Exactly right. BUT, the author has his book published by a publishing house, a musician has his CD cut by a recording company, and an actor has his movie filmed by a motion picture studio. Their work is distributed by another company.

Yes, an author can publish a book by himself and collect the profits. But that would be akin to me working for myself and writing the software and trying to sell it on my own. The reason I work for a company and an author goes to a publishing house, a musician to a recording company, and an actor to the motion picture studio is to get our work out to the public in a mass way because that is what they are professionally able to do. The authors, musicians, actors, etc. who are collecting royalties are not distributing their work on their own.

Why doesn't the publishing house say to the author, "We will pay you X amount for your novel, and then we will own your novel and collect the profits from the sales of the book"? Diddo for the musician, actor, etc.
 
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
Dec 17, 2018 19:22:09   #
This post is not to argue the whether subscription or one time purchase is the better choice. As for me, I find the Adobe subscription a reasonably priced offer. However, I do not denigrate those who don't, they have their valid reasons. My purpose is to point out some misconceptions.

When you purchase software, you do own the right to use the software under the terms of the software license. It is similar to a book or a record or a music score. When you buy a book, you own that book, but the book comes with a copyright (same with the record and the music score). The copyright has restrictions. You can't copy several pages out of the book and use it in your own novel, i.e. you can't plagiarize. When you purchase software, you own the CD it came on or the file you downloaded.

The license isn't necessarily for a limited number of computers. It can be for any number of computers or not have any restrictions on the number. Not all software purchases require payments for upgrades. Some software comes with free upgrades, or maybe a limited number of free upgrades. Basically, when you get Microsoft Windows, you get free upgrades for the your version until they stop supporting it. Each version of Windows is in essence a different software program.

The comparison of the Adobe subscription to a magazine or a newspaper is a false simile. The M-W dictionary defines 'subscription' as "an arrangement for providing, receiving, or making use of something of a continuing or periodic nature on a prepayment plan". The Adobe subscription refers to the 'making use of something of a continuing nature' part of the definition. Magazine and newspaper subscriptions refer to the 'receiving something of a periodic nature'. So both are subscriptions. With Adobe, you are getting updates and upgrades that complement and add to an existing product. However, with magazines and newspapers, you are getting a new product with each issue. You are not getting a magazine with last month's articles repeated with new articles added on. Even if a new version of the Adobe product comes out, the basic purpose and function of the software is the same, even if the interface is new.

The intellectual property paradigm is similar between software and books, music, movies, etc. As a software engineer, there is one particular thing in the paradigm not shared with the software industry. For any of the software that I produce and then is marketed by my company, I do not get any royalties for each copy of the software program sold or for each time the software is used.
Oct 29, 2018 16:03:34   #
rgrenaderphoto wrote:
Decided yesterday to drive from Los Angeles to Mojave, CA to photograph Wind Turbines.

Camera and Lenses - Check
Spare Memory Cards - Check
Tripod - Check
Filters - Check

Wind - NO. There wasn't any. So I went to Red Rock Canyon instead.
PS: The wind did come up, sort of, after lunch.


As someone who works several days a year working at EAFB, calm mornings and windy drives back to Palmdale in the afternoon are the norm in the high desert.
Sep 6, 2018 15:41:19   #
grandpaw wrote:
This is not my first camera but it is the first one I ever bought myself back in 1971 and I took this picture of it a few minutes ago with my Iphone 7plus to be able to post it here. I have had a few of these over the years but this is the actual original camera that I started out with. I was eighteen and went with my dad to the local camera store and told the owner that I wanted a camera that would make me happy and I would not regret buying and this is what he put on the counter. A Nikon F body, FTN meter, and a F2 50mm lens and I can say that I have never been let down by this camera and it looks and operates as good today as when I bought it back in 1971.

What was your first camera to purchase.
This is not my first camera but it is the first on... (show quote)


Yep, that same camera was my first "real" camera. I was seventeen and bought it in Tokyo when I was in Japan for the Boy Scout World Jamboree in August 1971. Before that, I had a Kodak Hawkeye (used 127 film) and a cheap Polaroid made of plastic (don't remember model info). I still have my Nikon F.

Oh, the wonderful memories.
Aug 15, 2018 22:01:43   #
How can you say lions prefer Canon? They only experienced a Canon and spit it out. They never had a chance to experience a Nikon because they are too valuable to be sloppy with and lose to a bunch of lions.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Astonishingly Simple Secrets To Transform Your Smartphone Into A High-Quality DSLR
Capture jaw-dropping gorgeous photos that blow away your friends -- guaranteed!
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.