Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Photo editing software - not subscription based
Page: <<prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 next>>
Dec 2, 2019 20:06:45   #
FotoHog Loc: Coud 9
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
There's only two types of people in the world: buyers and subscribers.


And those who profit from both of them.

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 20:20:54   #
BobHartung Loc: Bettendorf, IA
 
buzzyd wrote:
So, let's have it, what would you recommend that is not subscription based - so no LR, PS, CC for example.

Just a bit of detail -- I shoot mostly raw (Nikon DLSR both DX and FX). I also shoot IR, so support for those kinds of editing would be useful as well.

Thanks for the recommendations!


False savings. How much do you spend on equipment & trips every year. Yet you get cheap on the best for only $120/year. Bad decision IMHO.

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 20:23:31   #
FotoHog Loc: Coud 9
 
BobHartung wrote:
False savings. How much do you spend on equipment & trips every year. Yet you get cheap on the best for only $120/year. Bad decision IMHO.


And the band marches on . . . .

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 20:26:49   #
Blenheim Orange Loc: Michigan
 
BobHartung wrote:
False savings. How much do you spend on equipment & trips every year. Yet you get cheap on the best for only $120/year. Bad decision IMHO.


It may be more a matter of control rather than savings for the OP.

Mike

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:03:32   #
mwsilvers Loc: Central New Jersey
 
FotoHog wrote:
And those who profit from both of them.

Is your argument against capitalism? No one is forcing anyone to rent or buy any of this software. If software vendors, particularly Adobe, are making money hand over fist it's because they are marketing products that many people want to use, and at a price that many people are willing to pay. Since when is success a crime?

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:08:18   #
srt101fan
 
I posted this earlier but didn't get any replies. I am interested in the answer, so I'll try again:

"Question: If you buy an LR/PS subscription, and a few years later you decide to quit, can you still use the LR catalogue or is all of that data lost?"

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:18:31   #
Ysarex
 
AndyH wrote:
...
In point of fact, I generally use less than half of LightRoom's features, and a still-smaller percentage of Photoshop's. At the price, it's worth having these extra features for me, even if I seldom, if ever, use them. Less expensive products have less support, fewer features, and may be less intuitive than the Adobe Suite. If I can get the best software for the price of four large coffees, it's a good use of my money, especially as I'm learning on the most used software platform, and most likely to be around for the long haul.
...
Andy
... br In point of fact, I generally use less than... (show quote)


You'd think then with the LR/PS combination being "best" it would be out there ahead of the competition especially when it comes to good old straight forward, nothing fancy, single photo edits.

Funny then how LR can't accomplish the edit below at all and Photoshop can't do it non-destructively. Just sayin'.

Joe

(For anybody who wants to prove that to themselves: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsmhq001pugwitt/_DSF0600.RAF?dl=0).


(Download)

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:20:25   #
Ysarex
 
srt101fan wrote:
I posted this earlier but didn't get any replies. I am interested in the answer, so I'll try again:

"Question: If you buy an LR/PS subscription, and a few years later you decide to quit, can you still use the LR catalogue or is all of that data lost?"


When you quit the subscription you retain access to your edited work in LR and the catalog will still function. You lose the Develop capability for new photos.

Joe

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:31:52   #
Blenheim Orange Loc: Michigan
 
mwsilvers wrote:
Is your argument against capitalism? No one is forcing anyone to rent or buy any of this software. If software vendors, particularly Adobe, are making money hand over fist it's because they are marketing products that many people want to use, and at a price that many people are willing to pay. Since when is success a crime?


So, if we criticize a product, or marketing practices, we are somehow opposed to success? In my opinion, Adobe's practices work against innovation and a free market. Adobe makes money "hand over fist" whether they produce anything or not. They are able to make money because of copyright protection, which is an artificial social contract designed to regulate the market and protect indigent creators. The thinking was that copyright protection was a benefit to society, because if a person of modest means was protected they would be able to continue to produce works of value to society.

Adobe did not create Photoshop. As they did with PDF, they have sought to monopolize the market by the skillful leveraging of copyright protection. This is not about "free market" or "Capitalism" or "making products."

Now, you are free to disagree with that opinion, and I don't care to persuade you otherwise. No problem. But the point of view I am expressing is a legitimate one and certainly has at least some merit.

The OP of this thread asked specifically for alternatives to Adobe software.

Mike

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:34:23   #
FotoHog Loc: Coud 9
 
mwsilvers wrote:
Is your argument against capitalism? . . . .


The answer is NO. And I am not interested in participating in a debate about the pros and cons of specific economic models except to say that over a lifetime I have had the opportunity to observed how all of them have been ruthlessly exploited by powerful organizations in the most predatory way.

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:34:56   #
srt101fan
 
Ysarex wrote:
When you quit the subscription you retain access to your edited work in LR and the catalog will still function. You lose the Develop capability for new photos.

Joe


Thanks, Joe.

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 21:49:08   #
bittermelon
 
I just posted essentially this same question:

https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-621289-1.html

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 22:24:10   #
Pixeldawg Loc: Suzhou, China
 
lamiaceae wrote:
Hunt the Web for a used copy of Ps CS5 or Ps CS6 on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. Amazon or eBay perhaps. I am still using the copy of Ps CS6 Extended (DVD-ROM) I purchased back in 2012.


If you read the EULA, this is actually illegal. Adobe has gone after people who are using extremely old copies of Photoshop, too. Strange, but true.

Mark Lent

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 23:01:49   #
greggall
 
buzzyd wrote:
So, let's have it, what would you recommend that is not subscription based - so no LR, PS, CC for example.

Just a bit of detail -- I shoot mostly raw (Nikon DLSR both DX and FX). I also shoot IR, so support for those kinds of editing would be useful as well.

Thanks for the recommendations!



I am exceptionally excited about Affinity Photo from Serif. $49, fully loaded. Nearly identical in features to Photoshop. check it out here: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

There is a learning curve, as in all software. Excellent online training and books and plenty of youtube user contributed training. I am still coming up to speed on this software.

Affinity, however, does not do cataloging, like LightRoom. So i purchased last week (Black Friday deals), a fully loaded Capture One with a repurchase to an automatic update to v2 when it is released.

Good luck to all of us-lol

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 23:23:02   #
mwsilvers Loc: Central New Jersey
 
Blenheim Orange wrote:
So, if we criticize a product, or marketing practices, we are somehow opposed to success? In my opinion, Adobe's practices work against innovation and a free market. Adobe makes money "hand over fist" whether they produce anything or not. They are able to make money because of copyright protection, which is an artificial social contract designed to regulate the market and protect indigent creators. The thinking was that copyright protection was a benefit to society, because if a person of modest means was protected they would be able to continue to produce works of value to society.

Adobe did not create Photoshop. As they did with PDF, they have sought to monopolize the market by the skillful leveraging of copyright protection. This is not about "free market" or "Capitalism" or "making products."

Now, you are free to disagree with that opinion, and I don't care to persuade you otherwise. No problem. But the point of view I am expressing is a legitimate one and certainly has at least some merit.

The OP of this thread asked specifically for alternatives to Adobe software.

Mike
So, if we criticize a product, or marketing practi... (show quote)

I stopped using Adobe products over two years ago. I am not an Adobe fan boy, but just because they have a model that makes them lots of money through subscriptions doesn't make them the devil incarnate as some seem to think. Any publisher of a product that they acquire will attempt to leverage copyright protection to secure their investment, which seems very reasonable to me. That's what copyright's are all about. While it may also protect those with modest means that certainly wasn't the main intent. The reason Adobe is successful and make lots of cash is only because a lot of people seem to like what they offer and are willing to pay for it. There are a number a viable alternatives today depending on what one's goals are but Adobe is still the standard for many people. I'm not one of them.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.