Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Switching from a crop sensor to a full frame
Page: <<prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 next>>
Jul 21, 2019 18:53:38   #
DeanS Loc: Capital City area of North Carolina
 
CanonDude wrote:
You are correct (I should have done a better job of proof reading my comment before posting it)..
The lens mount on APS-C camera body has both a RED dot and a WHITE dot. The APS-C lenses have only a WHITE dot. EF lenses have only a RED dot, as do the lens mounts on Full Frame camera bodies. EF lenses are not to be used on APS-C camera bodies.


“EF lenses are not to be used on EF-S camera bodies.” Totally incorrect. ALL Canon EF lens work very well on Canon crop bodies.

What is a fact, Canon EF-S lens WILL NOT mount to some Canon FF bodies.

| Reply
Jul 21, 2019 18:57:07   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
CanonDude wrote:

...
... EF lenses are not to be used on APS-C camera bodies.

??
My 50mm EF will mount on my APS-C body with no problem.

| Reply
Jul 21, 2019 19:15:17   #
aellman Loc: Boston MA
 
Hans2675 wrote:
Hi, I'm questioning if I should sell my Canon 80d for a used 6d full frame. I'm perfectly happy with the 80d and the crop sensor and I also don't feel like it's limiting me yet in my photography. Just considering it because of most of the things I read when it comes to Focal lengths seem to always be in regards to full frame cameras. For example this lens and Focal length is best for portraits or this Focal length for landscapes. I'm well aware I can use a smaller length to compensate for the 1.6 crop to to equal a suggested length, but just feel like the availability isn't there and I'm beginning to look at higher end lenses "L" lenses and feel like they'd be best suited with a full frame. Photography is definitely something I'm going to continue to do and may quite possibly pursue as a career in the future. Right now mostly take landscapes and street photography, but would like to begin to dabble and learn some portraiture. Selling my 80d and buying a used 6d with a low shutter count would basically be an even trade for me. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Hi, I'm questioning if I should sell my Canon 80d ... (show quote)


As long as it's an even trade go for it, providing you have reason to expect that the new purchase doesn't have any associated risks, like an unusually high shutter count, unseen mechanical issues, etc. If it doesn't come with a warranty, I would buy one from Squaretrade.com, a great company which has saved me from economic pain more than once. Good luck! >Alan

| Reply
Jul 21, 2019 21:34:42   #
LFingar Loc: Claverack, NY
 
DeanS wrote:
Please re-read my earlier posts.

I’ll try this one more time.

I own a variety of cameras, in the Canon family are:
5D sr (FF)
RP (FF)
SL3 (Crop Sensor)
SL1 (Crop Sensor - converted ti IR)

My main lens for the SL3 is a Tammy 18-400 (EF-S). I also have a Canon EF-S 10-22 for the SL3. Earlier discussions on this topic, there were split opinions regarding mounting EF-S lens on FF bodies, so I decided to see what would work on the two FF bodies. I mounted the EF-S 10-22 to both the 5D and RP, and they BOTH automatically switched to AR 1.6, and fired away. I then mounted the Tammy to each FF, checked AR, and had to manually select the 1.6 AR, then fired away.

Again, I DO NOT shoot anything but EF lens on the two FF bodies.

I hope this clears any lingering doubt on this topic.

Btw, I previously owned a Canon 5DII/III and IV. Canon EF lens WOULD NOT mount to those bodies, though third party lens would.
Please re-read my earlier posts. br br I’ll try ... (show quote)


No need to re-read your original post. I know what you stated. As I stated, I have seen mention of one or two EF-s lenses that will mount on FF bodies. I believe they were wide angle lenses which could very well explain why your 10-22 will mount on your 5D S-R. There are exceptions to every rule.
If you wish, check what Canon has to say:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-5ds-r
Look under 'Specifications' and then under 'Type'. EF-s lenses are clearly excluded, as they are for all FF Canon DSLR's.
Canon builds it's EF-s lenses with a projection on the rear that prevents them from going into a FF body far enough for the mount plates to engage. Third party lenses don't have that projection so they will mount on FF bodies, as will EF-s lenses if you cut the projection off as MTShooter has mentioned doing. It's suspect that being extremely wide angle does not allow Canon to put the projection on the 10-22, which would explain your experience.
Get your hands on an EF-s lens such as the 18-55 or 55-250 and see if it will mount on your 5D S-R. I can tell you what the answer will be to that.

| Reply
Jul 21, 2019 21:58:44   #
cbtsam Loc: Monkton, MD
 
If you're perfectly happy with what you've got, don't buy anything to replace it. By the time you aren't perfectly happy with it any more, the options will be better.

| Reply
Jul 21, 2019 22:17:30   #
DeanS Loc: Capital City area of North Carolina
 
LFingar wrote:
No need to re-read your original post. I know what you stated. As I stated, I have seen mention of one or two EF-s lenses that will mount on FF bodies. I believe they were wide angle lenses which could very well explain why your 10-22 will mount on your 5D S-R. There are exceptions to every rule.
If you wish, check what Canon has to say:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-5ds-r
Look under 'Specifications' and then under 'Type'. EF-s lenses are clearly excluded, as they are for all FF Canon DSLR's.
Canon builds it's EF-s lenses with a projection on the rear that prevents them from going into a FF body far enough for the mount plates to engage. Third party lenses don't have that projection so they will mount on FF bodies, as will EF-s lenses if you cut the projection off as MTShooter has mentioned doing. It's suspect that being extremely wide angle does not allow Canon to put the projection on the 10-22, which would explain your experience.
Get your hands on an EF-s lens such as the 18-55 or 55-250 and see if it will mount on your 5D S-R. I can tell you what the answer will be to that.
No need to re-read your original post. I know what... (show quote)


Forgot to mention that I also have a Canon18-55, used on my SL1 (IR). It mounts perfectly to the RP body, however, this camera is equipped with an adapter to allow EF and EF-S lens to mount. In fact, the 5D sr will not accept the EF-S 18-55.

I had originally tried this using my 10-22, and that is in the hands of a friend for a spell. It did, in fact, mount to both FF bodies. Your point regarding the wide angle is likely the reason.

So, I stand partially corrected regarding this issue.

| Reply
Jul 21, 2019 22:19:11   #
rmorrison1116 Loc: Southeast, Southcentral PA
 
CanonDude wrote:
According to Canon, EF lenses can be used on both Full Frame and APS-C camera bodies. An EF-S lens can only be used on an APS-C body. Placing, or attempting to place, an EF-S lens on a Full Frame body will damage the mirror, making it unusable.

The mount on an EF lens has a RED dot, and a WHITE dot, to align the lens to the corresponding dot on the camera body when mounting. EF-S camera lenses have only a WHITE dot

The lens mount on Full Frame bodies have both a RED dot and a WHITE dot, which are used to align a lens when mounting. The lens mount on an APS-C body has only a WHITE dot.
According to Canon, EF lenses can be used on both ... (show quote)


Although this is partially correct, it needs clarification.
A red dot means EF lenses, this is correct. A white dot means EF-S lenses. Not quite. A white dot means EF-M lenses, not EF-S lenses. A white square means EF-S lenses.

The part about mounting an EF-S lens, white square, on an EF body, red dot, will damage the mirror is partially correct. First, you can't natively mount a white square lens on a red dot only body. Canon specifically designed it that way and if someone is mounting EF-S lenses to a red dot only EF body, they must modify the lens to do so. Mounting the lens won't damage the mirror but trying to take a photograph will, when the mirror smacks into the rear end of the EF-S lens.

Canon is very clear and very specific about not modifying EF-S lenses to fit EF only bodies.
It's really that simple.

Somewhere in this conversation someone said they mount EF-S lens or lenses on an EOS 5Dsr, so I got out my 5Dsr and sure enough, red dot only, no white square. Just for giggles I attempted to mount a few EF-S lenses to my 5Dsr. Not a single one came close to fitting, as Canon intended.

| Reply
Jul 21, 2019 22:42:43   #
LFingar Loc: Claverack, NY
 
DeanS wrote:
Forgot to mention that I also have a Canon18-55, used on my SL1 (IR). It mounts perfectly to the RP body, however, this camera is equipped with an adapter to allow EF and EF-S lens to mount. In fact, the 5D sr will not accept the EF-S 18-55.

I had originally tried this using my 10-22, and that is in the hands of a friend for a spell. It did, in fact, mount to both FF bodies. Your point regarding the wide angle is likely the reason.

So, I stand partially corrected regarding this issue.
Forgot to mention that I also have a Canon18-55, u... (show quote)


I went to B&H and looked at a picture of a current EF-s 10-22. That one has the protrusion. The protrusions look like a gray plastic ring. Perhaps yours is an earlier version that didn't have the ring, or you bought it used from someone who modified it, or, maybe the ring just fell off. Anyway, as I stated, there are exceptions to every rule and it looks like you have one in your gear bag!

| Reply
Jul 22, 2019 00:26:58   #
amfoto1 Loc: San Jose, Calif. USA
 
Fotomacher wrote:
And THAT’s exactly why I recommend NIKON. All of the F mount lenses (since 1959) will fit both DX and FX bodies and except for the D3xxx and D5xxx bodies will allow aperture priority and manual shooting since the lifght meter will be active. I used a 1982 300mm f/4.5 lens on a D300s using the “non-CPU” function. And when I picked up a D700 all of my FF glass is compatible.


All the vintage, manual focus Nikon (since 1959) will ALSO work on ALL the Canon DSLRs.... A simple, cheap F to EF adapter is all that's needed and it doesn't even have any optics to spoil the lens' native image qualities. So long as it's a "chipped" adapter, Focus Assist will be available and the camera can be used in manual mode or with aperture priority auto exposure.

What won't work on a Nikon DSLR are Canon-dedicated flashes and other accessories, or Canon batteries/chargers.

| Reply
Jul 22, 2019 00:35:02   #
amfoto1 Loc: San Jose, Calif. USA
 
DeanS wrote:
Some Canon cameras will shoot EF-S lens, by changing sensor aspect ratio to aps-c format. My 5D sr and RP will switch automatically....


Only the R-series have the capability of working with both EF and EF-S lenses. An adapter is required (Canon offers four different EF/EF-S to RF mount adapters... third party adapters ares starting to come available.)

Your Canon 5Ds-R full frame DSLR absolutely cannot be used with an EF-S lens and is not capable of switching automatically. By design, of the full frame Canon DSLRs can be fitted with an unmodified EF-S lens. And modifying one to get around that is risky, because the rear element of the lens might interfere with the mirror in the camera and cause damage to it.

The problem with putting an EF-S lens onto an EOS RP is that the 26MP full frame mirrorless camera will self-crop and essentially "become" a 10 or 11MP APS-C camera. The original poster has more than twice that resolution with the 24MP APS-C 80D they currently use. So it would be counter-productive to get an RP and use it that way.

| Reply
Jul 22, 2019 00:44:26   #
amfoto1 Loc: San Jose, Calif. USA
 
DeanS wrote:
Please re-read my post. I have a 5D sr and an RP, both ff bodies, they both allow ef-s and third party lens to mount. If the lens is a Canon ef-s, they both switch to crop mode automatically. If the lens is third party, the switch must be accomplished manually through the menu.


Again...

Yes, your EOS RP mirrorless can accommodate EF-S lenses... but an adapter is required and when the 26MP image is cropped to APS-C format, you'll have roughly the equivalent of a 10MP 40D from 2007.

No, your 5DsR DSLR cannot be fitted with an unmodified EF-S lens. The camera and the lenses are specifically designed to prevent that.

bwana wrote:
EF-S lenses will mount on full frame bodies but several Canon bodies have mirrors that hit the extension on an EF-S lens. Not good for the mirror!!

bwa


No, unless modified, by design EF-S lenses WILL NOT mount on ANY Canon full frame body.

You are correct, though, that using a crop-design lens on a full frame Canon DSLR is risky. but, it's not "several Canon bodies" that have mirrors. ALL full frame Canon DSLRs have mirrors that SOME EF-S lenses might interfere with. It depends upon the lens.... All the DSLRs use the same dimensions (44mm lens register) and have mirrors sized to accommodate the full frame format. You are correct that it's would not be a good thing for the mirror, should there be interference. Figure on spending a serious chunk of money getting it fixed.

Third party manufacturers don't make EF-S lenses. They make "full frame" and "crop-only" lenses, and both types designed for use on Canon use the same EF mount. As a result, either type of third party lens will mount to a full frame DSLR... but you do so at your own risk. You might damage the camera if the lens' rear element protruded inside the camera body, the way some crop design lenses do.

[quote=DeanS]“EF lenses are not to be used on EF-S camera bodies.” Totally incorrect. ALL Canon EF lens work very well on Canon crop bodies....[quote]

You are right about that. First, there's no such thing as an "EF-S camera body". There are "APS-C" Canon DSLRs and mirrorless camera. Second, ALL EF lenses will work on all Canon APS-C bodies.

In fact, every APS-C camera since the Digital Rebel (aka, 300D) was introduced in 2004 has been fully compatible with BOTH EF lenses and EF-S lenses. (The earliest APS-C models - D30, D60 and 10D - produced from 2000 to 2004 - preceded the introduction of EF-S lenses and cannot be fitted with them.)

It's the full frame Canon DSLRs (and the discontinued APS-H bodies) that are limited to what they can use.... EF only (which still gives you choice of 60 or more Canon lenses currently in production).

DeanS wrote:
....What is a fact, Canon EF-S lens WILL NOT mount to some Canon FF bodies.


Again, the FACT is that unmodified EF-S lenses will not mount to ANY full frame Canon DSLR (or any of the 1D-series APS-H models).

| Reply
Jul 22, 2019 00:51:13   #
Bill P
 
Longshadow wrote:
To what comment was your reply?


The comment that I quoted in my response.

| Reply
Jul 22, 2019 01:29:08   #
Scott24
 
Go FF if you never tried it and can afford to I was a crop sensor user for years Canon 7D love it but what the FF offers me that i use more then any other feature is cropping my digital negative. The bigger negative gives you great latitude in cropping you can crop a lot more and still get a great usable negative to make a print.Hey it is something new to learn as well.Save you 80d for birds and sports and get thebest of both worlds.

| Reply
Jul 22, 2019 01:35:30   #
Glenn Reiner Loc: Sacramento CA
 
I sold my 6D, traded up to the 6D II and happy I did.

| Reply
Jul 22, 2019 08:31:21   #
rehess Loc: South Bend, IN, USA
 
Why would you want to mount EF-S glass on a full frame Canon body? There is over thirty years of great EF glass {‘bad’ EF glass is “just OK”} out there, and it won’t vignette.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.