Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Switching from a crop sensor to a full frame
Page: <<prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8
Jul 23, 2019 07:34:28   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
rmorrison1116 wrote:
White dot is EF-M not EF-S. EF-S is a white square.

A little persnickety are we?
Dot, spot, index, square, triangle, dodecahedron, indicator, marker, ...
I didn't notice, is it recessed?

Lets use white index mark.

I suppose I shouldn't be putting my lens with a white circle (dot) on the camera with a white square.
(No wonder I needed a bigger hammer.)
Oh, wait, Sigma put a circle on the lens prior to Canon using the circle for EF-M.
(Is the "M" manual or mirrorless?)
What to do, what to do.....

| Reply
Jul 23, 2019 07:44:49   #
LFingar Loc: Claverack, NY
 
Longshadow wrote:
Easy.
They could put a key way in a flange. The lens with the key will only fit on the mount with the key way in the flange. A lens without a key will fit either flange.


Good point. One problem: There is no key way on any of the mounts

| Reply
Jul 23, 2019 08:04:56   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
LFingar wrote:
Good point. One problem: There is no key way on any of the mounts

Interesting. I wonder if there was another method they used, or maybe the mirror stops the lens.
(You asked for "a" method (general), not "the" method... )

| Reply
Jul 23, 2019 09:08:11   #
LFingar Loc: Claverack, NY
 
Longshadow wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if there was another method they used, or maybe the mirror stops the lens.
(You asked for "a" method (general), not "the" method... )


I shouldn't have stated previously that it can't be done, but I was looking for a modification that would not be instantly obvious. A key way, while apparently an good solution, would be very obvious.
This question has arisen before. I sold my 7DII last year and I haven't had any EF-s lenses in an even longer time but before I got rid of them I did some checking. The mirror is not a factor in mounting an EF-s lens on a FF body, although it certainly could create a conflict when the mirror flips up.. If you examine the internal structure of both the FF and APS-C bodies you will see that the structure of the FF comes much closer to the mount ring then the structure of the APS-C. With the protrusion of the EF-s lens that difference allows it to mount on the APS-C but not the FF. Canon had no need for a different mount because the lack of clearance prevents the mounts from even touching. Some EF-s lenses will mount on FF. As discussed earlier DeanS has one. An EF-s 10-22. It will operate apparently with no mirror interference. I suspect that it is an earlier version that Canon left the protrusion off of because it could be used safely. If you go to the B&H web page you can see that the current version of the lens has the protrusion. It's just a gray plastic ring. My guess would be that Canon made the EF-s lenses incompatible is because some will work without mirror interference and some won't. Simple solution to avoid confusion: Make them all incompatible.

| Reply
Jul 23, 2019 09:28:15   #
rmorrison1116 Loc: Southeast, Southcentral PA
 
Longshadow wrote:
A little persnickety are we?
Dot, spot, index, square, triangle, dodecahedron, indicator, marker, ...
I didn't notice, is it recessed?

Lets use white index mark.

I suppose I shouldn't be putting my lens with a white circle (dot) on the camera with a white square.
(No wonder I needed a bigger hammer.)
Oh, wait, Sigma put a circle on the lens prior to Canon using the circle for EF-M.
(Is the "M" manual or mirrorless?)
What to do, what to do.....
A little persnickety are we? br Dot, spot, index, ... (show quote)


Nothing to do with persnickety at all; accuracy is more like it.
If the lens fits, mount it.
Bigger hammers are always better hammers, especially for precision work.
It doesn't matter what Sigma did, Sigma doesn't make Canon lenses.
M is for Mirrorless. MF is for Manual Focus.
What to do? Don't sweat the small stuff, get out and take more photos...

| Reply
Jul 23, 2019 09:59:34   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
rmorrison1116 wrote:
Nothing to do with persnickety at all; accuracy is more like it.
If the lens fits, mount it.
Bigger hammers are always better hammers, especially for precision work.
It doesn't matter what Sigma did, Sigma doesn't make Canon lenses.
M is for Mirrorless. MF is for Manual Focus.
What to do? Don't sweat the small stuff, get out and take more photos...


| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.