Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Does UHH count as 'social media'?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Jun 14, 2019 17:13:27   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
I don't consider myself to be a total Luddite, but I have never understood the attraction of Facebook, Twitter or any of the other well known social media sites. I don't want my wife to know what I am doing most of the time so I certainly don't want to tell the rest of the World that I am having a BigMac for lunch instead of a kale salad. I nearly signed up for Facebook once, but I actually read the Terms and Conditions and cried off.

Does UHH qualify as social media? If so, can I claim that I actually exist?

| Reply
Jun 14, 2019 17:16:23   #
rmorrison1116 (a regular here)
 
UHH is social media.

| Reply
Jun 14, 2019 17:30:45   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
rmorrison1116 wrote:
UHH is social media.


Albeit a MUCH reduced clientele compared to FB.

I use FB to keep in touch with family and friends, especially where I used to live and work.
I'm not one to post every single detail of what I do.
Mostly listen and interact with friends.
It's handy being a thousand miles away.

| Reply
Jun 14, 2019 17:55:17   #
DirtFarmer (a regular here)
 
I resisted signing up for facebook. Eventually one of my employees started a facebook page for the farmstand. A couple years later he left for college so I had to get a facebook account so I could administer the farm page. That means I have a facebook page. Sometimes I look at it once a year. Sometimes I don't. Having a facebook account does not require you to use it. Of course if you're not going to use it, you should limit your personal information you place there.

| Reply
Jun 14, 2019 18:05:48   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
I resisted signing up for facebook. Eventually one of my employees started a facebook page for the farmstand. A couple years later he left for college so I had to get a facebook account so I could administer the farm page. That means I have a facebook page. Sometimes I look at it once a year. Sometimes I don't. Having a facebook account does not require you to use it. Of course if you're not going to use it, you should limit your personal information you place there.


Anything I post on FB that even MIGHT be considered personal is only viewable by a close friends group.
99% of what I post is not viewable by the public.
(You can control who sees what.)

| Reply
Jun 14, 2019 18:13:51   #
arathorn357 (a regular here)
 
rmorrison1116 wrote:
UHH is social media.


Arguably so, but there are 3 distinguishing features of this forum compared to FB -

1. There are some worthwhile user made rules, and they are enforced,
2. By submitting your creative work to the judgment of your peers, there is a certain honesty among its inhabitants, and
3. I have encountered many intelligent carbon based life forms here.

| Reply
Jun 14, 2019 20:07:10   #
rmorrison1116 (a regular here)
 
The question, as I understood it is, is the UHH web site social media, not the difference between Facebook and UHH. UHH is a social media web site, as is Facebook and lots of other interactive websites. The main difference between Facebook and UHH is, UHH membership all have one thing in common, photography. Facebook has photography related forums but it it not geared towards any one category. So, yes, UHH is social media.
As for the OP actually existing? Your guess is as good as mine. ◉‿◉

| Reply
Jun 14, 2019 22:14:00   #
kpmac (a regular here)
 
If it is a social media site it is the only one I will ever be a member of.

| Reply
Jun 15, 2019 07:10:45   #
RLSeipleSr
 
[quote=repleo]... but I have never understood the attraction of Facebook ...[/y ]

FB has quite a few Groups for photographers ... you can really narrow it down to what you are actually interested in ... one of the better ones that I found is for the 'Canon SX60HS', great pictures, and great chit-chat, seems to be more adult than most (just an example) ...

You can search the Groups for your interests and go directly to them, of course, you still have to put up with a lot of the BS that comes with FB but if you find the groups that match your interests it is well worth it...!

Bob S

| Reply
Jun 15, 2019 07:41:01   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
repleo wrote:
I don't consider myself to be a total Luddite, but I have never understood the attraction of Facebook, Twitter or any of the other well known social media sites. I don't want my wife to know what I am doing most of the time so I certainly don't want to tell the rest of the World that I am having a BigMac for lunch instead of a kale salad. I nearly signed up for Facebook once, but I actually read the Terms and Conditions and cried off.

Does UHH qualify as social media? If so, can I claim that I actually exist?
I don't consider myself to be a total Luddite, but... (show quote)


I think the Chit-Chat section would be the "social" part. Otherwise, it would be classified as a forum.

| Reply
Jun 15, 2019 08:46:05   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I think the Chit-Chat section would be the "social" part. Otherwise, it would be classified as a forum.


Aren't forums a subset of social media?

| Reply
Jun 15, 2019 12:57:46   #
Fotoartist (a regular here)
 
Good question. It could be a hybrid.

| Reply
Jun 15, 2019 13:33:13   #
Denny45acp
 
arathorn357 wrote:
Arguably so, but there are 3 distinguishing features of this forum compared to FB -

1. There are some worthwhile user made rules, and they are enforced,
2. By submitting your creative work to the judgment of your peers, there is a certain honesty among its inhabitants, and
3. I have encountered many intelligent carbon based life forms here.

Me too

| Reply
Jun 15, 2019 13:36:09   #
TheShoe
 
A few years ago during one of Jeopardy's Teen Tournaments, Alex Trebek asked an 8th grader if he had a Facebook or Twitter account. When the boy said that he didn't, Alex asked why. The kid's answer summed it up perfectly. It was, "What's the point?"

| Reply
Jun 15, 2019 13:44:27   #
woodworkerman
 
TheShoe wrote:
A few years ago during one of Jeopardy's Teen Tournaments, Alex Trebek asked an 8th grader if he had a Facebook or Twitter account. When the boy said that he didn't, Alex asked why. The kid's answer summed it up perfectly. It was, "What's the point?"


That was one smart kid.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.