Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Best Camera for "Street Photography"?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next>>
Jul 9, 2018 16:45:39   #
Apaflo
 
le boecere wrote:
Agree with your definitions. No way to know whether that example image was taken on "the street", or, maybe, at a family reunion, or the like.

You missed the point!

Either standing on a roadway or seated at a family reunion could be Street Photography because the term "street" does not mean a road. Street Photography is like Street Smarts. It works virtually anywhere, because "the street" actually means a community defined in any way.

And Street Photography, while not requiring a roadway does require seeing the surrounding in order to define the community and view how humans interact with it.

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 16:48:57   #
travelwp (a regular here)
 
Apaflo wrote:
Post your efforts to the Street Photography section here on UHH. You can ask for comments in general or about specifics. We get some great discussions, and have a number of terrific photographers. It is a gentle place and you will never get snide remarks or the bullying that can happen elsewhere.


I found this on the internet. Is it Street Photography? Why or why not?



| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 16:58:48   #
Apaflo
 
travelwp wrote:
I found this on the internet. Is it Street Photography? Why or why not?

You already know my answer, but probably still don't understand it.

The image is not what most folks envision when thinking of Street Photography, which is what makes it a very good example! It does fit all the requirements of Street Photography, and was posted to cause better examination of what Street Photography actually is.

It is not urban. It need not actually have people in the image. It has to show the relationship between "the human condition" and the surroundings.

The reasons that photograph annoys you so much are exactly what makes it Street Photography. But nobody is claiming you need to like it!

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 16:59:34   #
ronf78155
 
Find a Samsung Galaxy camera.......4-86mm zoom lens f2.8 autofocus, hd movie capable and built in wifi

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:00:39   #
burkphoto (a regular here)
 
travelwp wrote:
I found this on the internet. Is it Street Photography? Why or why not?


Street photography is in the eye of the beholder.

That scene does nothing for me, but I’d bet some rich wastrel would pay a fortune for a mural size print of it!

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:02:47   #
| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:13:04   #
travelwp (a regular here)
 
Apaflo wrote:
The reasons that photograph annoys you so much are exactly what makes it Street Photography. But nobody is claiming you need to like it!


The photo doesn't annoy me at all. It's just that you were the only one who thought it was Street Photography and I wondered if I could find others that agreed with you and why they agreed with you.



| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:17:10   #
Apaflo
 
travelwp wrote:
The photo doesn't annoy me at all. It's just that you were the only one who thought it was Street Photography and I wondered if I could find others that agreed with you and why they agreed with you.

Whatever you wish. But clearly I am not anywhere near alone in thinking it is Street Photography

Do you have a valid reason to question it?

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:25:13   #
travelwp (a regular here)
 
Apaflo wrote:
Whatever you wish. But clearly I am not anywhere near alone in thinking it is Street Photography

Do you have a valid reason to question it?


My reason is that I don't agree that it is Street Photography and I'm looking for others who agree with you that this is Street Photography, so I can understand and learn from a different point of view than yours.



| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:30:16   #
Apaflo
 
travelwp wrote:
My reason is that I don't agree that it is Street Photography and I'm looking for others who agree with you that this is Street Photography, so I can understand and learn from a different point of view than yours.

Again why would it not be Street?

I have explained to you more than once why it is. And what I've said can't really be refuted. Can you articulate what you think?

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:31:54   #
burkphoto (a regular here)
 
berchman wrote:
Obviously, you understood her or you wouldn't say that her prose was "impenetrable." You penetrated it. I lean towards your point of view concerning the kind of writing I prefer, but profundity is to be found even in the thickets of the writing of post modern French intellectuals like Derrida and Lacan and the German Frankfurt School's Adorno and Horkheimer. One of my very few talents has been the ability to translate that kind of prose into clear writing and apply it to everyday life examples.
Obviously, you understood her or you wouldn't say ... (show quote)


I come from the school of thought that if a concept is worth relating, it’s worth relating to everyone. Authors who use polysyllabic phraseology (big words and run-on sentences) seldom communicate well enough to be influential.

There is a certain NYC art and literature scene that thrives on pretentious obfuscation. Most of the rest of humanity looks on with disdain, or could care less.

As my favorite Davidson philosophy professor, Earl MacCormac, said frequently, with a disarming smirk on his face, “Get to the friggin’ point, stoopid [insert famous philosopher’s name here]. That was great comic relief when the topic got too thick.

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 17:41:50   #
travelwp (a regular here)
 
Apaflo wrote:
Again why would it not be Street? And what I've said can't really be refuted.


Let me repeat: I want to hear from others that agree that this is Street Photography. Hearing from just you and your claim that your comments "can't really be refuted" puts a real question mark on my leaning process.



| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 19:35:27   #
Kuzano
 
Silverman wrote:
I am interested in "Street Photography", although I feel I need advice from more EXPERIENCED "Street Photographers", especially the "DO's & Don'ts", and also a would a DSLR or P&S be more advisable.
I presently have a Nikon AFS-C DX D3300 with a 35mm, 50mm, 18-55, 55-200 lens.
I have read other Posts here at UHH, just would appreciate some "FRESH" insight and Advice on "Street Photography".


See ALL Daido Moriyama YouTubes.

Epitomizes "Street", using mostly P&S (currently Ricoh GR for some time). In his 70's, widely published, Shows in many MOMA's around the world. Has many video's on YouTube. Here is a "moriyama" search listing on YouTube. Pull up a chair. The camera is not the message here. The work and the philosophy are!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=moriyama

Has used many camera's, but usually goes back to Ricoh. Important to note that a large body of his work is done with very simple P&S camera's.



| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 20:14:08   #
jburlinson
 
Silverman wrote:
I am interested in "Street Photography", although I feel I need advice from more EXPERIENCED "Street Photographers", especially the "DO's & Don'ts", and also a would a DSLR or P&S be more advisable.
I presently have a Nikon AFS-C DX D3300 with a 35mm, 50mm, 18-55, 55-200 lens.
I have read other Posts here at UHH, just would appreciate some "FRESH" insight and Advice on "Street Photography".


Best camera for street photography is Ricoh GR II. It has something called "snap focus", which allows you to define the distance to which the camera should set its focus (1m, 1.5m, 2m, 2.5m, 5m and infinity). Set the focus mode to 'Snap' -- this keeps the camera set to that focus distance. The result is a camera that's constantly pre-focused, meaning there's only shutter lag to slow you down when getting your shot -- can't get any quicker. In addition, there's a 'Full Press Snap' option, that pushes the camera's focus to the chosen 'Snap Focus' distance, if you jam down the shutter button without waiting for it to focus. Again, you gain speed advantage because you don't wait for the camera to focus; and the subject may never know you even took a picture at all, since this lets you quickly snap your subject as soon as it comes into your pre-determined focus zone.

| Reply
Jul 9, 2018 20:16:43   #
le boecere
 
Apaflo wrote:
You missed the point!

Either standing on a roadway or seated at a family reunion could be Street Photography because the term "street" does not mean a road. Street Photography is like Street Smarts. It works virtually anywhere, because "the street" actually means a community defined in any way.

And Street Photography, while not requiring a roadway does require seeing the surrounding in order to define the community and view how humans interact with it.


So, does that mean that "street photography" can be nothing more than an event in one's community? A wedding, a funeral, a family reunion, a PTA meeting? "Event photography" and "street photography" are virtually synonymous?

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.