Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
a study in Street Photography
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Oct 7, 2013 20:44:33   #
j.erwin.brown Loc: Cumberland County, Illinois
 
In an effort to study a genre of photography that baffles and perplexes me to no end, from time to time I try taking a "Street Photography" shot. I look at it in color, then in B&W, back and forth, back and forth and still I don't know if one or the other is better than the other or the one. Maybe neither, maybe both. I wonder how good "Street Photographers" know when they've taken a good shot?





| Reply
Oct 7, 2013 21:15:00   #
John Lawrence Loc: New England
 
j.erwin.brown wrote:
In an effort to study a genre of photography that baffles and perplexes me to no end, from time to time I try taking a "Street Photography" shot. I look at it in color, then in B&W, back and forth, back and forth and still I don't know if one or the other is better than the other or the one. Maybe neither, maybe both. I wonder how good "Street Photographers" know when they've taken a good shot?


First of all, I prefer the B&W. It takes away the distraction of the background and places the focus directly on your subject. Secondly, I think it's a nice shot. I'm just trying to learn and understand street photography myself so I claim no knowledge. I've been using the work of Graham Smith as my model.

John

| Reply
Oct 7, 2013 21:26:08   #
Pierre H.J. Dumais Loc: Mississippi Mills, Ont.
 
j.erwin.brown wrote:
In an effort to study a genre of photography that baffles and perplexes me to no end, from time to time I try taking a "Street Photography" shot. I look at it in color, then in B&W, back and forth, back and forth and still I don't know if one or the other is better than the other or the one. Maybe neither, maybe both. I wonder how good "Street Photographers" know when they've taken a good shot?

I am totally with John on this. My feeling is the B&W, far and away. I like it.

Pierre

| Reply
Oct 7, 2013 23:18:48   #
UP-2-IT Loc: RED STICK, LA
 
j.erwin.brown wrote:
In an effort to study a genre of photography that baffles and perplexes me to no end, from time to time I try taking a "Street Photography" shot. I look at it in color, then in B&W, back and forth, back and forth and still I don't know if one or the other is better than the other or the one. Maybe neither, maybe both. I wonder how good "Street Photographers" know when they've taken a good shot?


Would not include this particular shot in the catagory of "Street Photography" It is a very good shot of a posed individual therefore not in the aformentioned catagory.

| Reply
Oct 7, 2013 23:50:01   #
Singing Swan
 
UP-2-IT wrote:
Would not include this particular shot in the catagory of "Street Photography" It is a very good shot of a posed individual therefore not in the aformentioned catagory.
I was just going to say the same thing. Street photography shows the subject and the road somehow...or the sidewalk or the building walls and windows. This could be a musician practicing on their patio.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 11:28:00   #
j.erwin.brown Loc: Cumberland County, Illinois
 
UP-2-IT wrote:
Would not include this particular shot in the catagory of "Street Photography" It is a very good shot of a posed individual therefore not in the aformentioned catagory.


Ah ha! I've learned I hadn't expected... that "Street Photography" can't look as though it's posed. I certainly didn't know that. Actually, this particular shot wasn't posed--it was taken with a Canon SX40 from a descrete distance--the girl had no idea I was 60 feet away clear across the street. But it DOES look as though it's posed, and that's a negative, correct? And then so do you feel that the best "Street Photography" is usually B&W? Why is that? Do colors distract from a mood... or a feeling?

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 11:30:34   #
j.erwin.brown Loc: Cumberland County, Illinois
 
Singing Swan wrote:
I was just going to say the same thing. Street photography shows the subject and the road somehow...or the sidewalk or the building walls and windows. This could be a musician practicing on their patio.


Perhaps I've learned another aspect--that street photography is expected to actually include part of the "street". That is a humorous and very astute observation, Singing Swan. It made me smile at the revelation you've must put forth. Thanks. I like it very much.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 11:32:53   #
Musket Loc: ArtBallin'
 
Street photography is just another name for blurry snapshots?

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 11:33:38   #
Art Grandpa Loc: Washougal, WA
 
It's a shame you couldn't wait until the bow was away from her face and maybe her top as well!! HA!

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 11:46:23   #
Singing Swan
 
Musket wrote:
Street photography is just another name for blurry snapshots?
I don't think that's quite right. Although a good example of street photography might be blurry, for the most part they are focused with a well defined subject, not in such a close-up shot as the OP has here. If he had shown us where she was sitting, was she alone or was there a crowd watching her performance, was she barefoot or dressed to the nines?? Blurry really isn't a good part of street photography most of the time. And it doesn't always have to be a 'street'...it could be a stadium or a park....and in focus.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 12:08:04   #
Graham Smith Loc: Cambridgeshire UK
 
j.erwin.brown wrote:
In an effort to study a genre of photography that baffles and perplexes me to no end, from time to time I try taking a "Street Photography" shot. I look at it in color, then in B&W, back and forth, back and forth and still I don't know if one or the other is better than the other or the one. Maybe neither, maybe both. I wonder how good "Street Photographers" know when they've taken a good shot?


As others have said, this isn't true street photography, and the bow is spoiling the shot. Street photography can be in colour or b&w, I prefer b&w as it removes the distraction of colour. Again, as others have said the shots shouldn't be posed, they should attempt to to capture little snippets of life. Look for the incongruous, the amusing, the shots that show what the streets are like together with those that inhabit them.

Here are links to some of my street photography, I'm not saying that this is good street photography or making any claims at all. It's just my take on the subject.
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-137940-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-152218-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-148527-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-148381-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-141092-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-134834-1.html

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 12:16:50   #
Singing Swan
 
Graham Smith wrote:


Here are links to some of my street photography, I'm not saying that this is good street photography or making any claims at all. It's just my take on the subject.
You, sir, are quite modest. I'm so glad you chimed in on this one. I've been studying your work recently myself and the OP can learn a lot from what you do. Thanks!!

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 12:34:26   #
Graham Smith Loc: Cambridgeshire UK
 
Singing Swan wrote:
You, sir, are quite modest. I'm so glad you chimed in on this one. I've been studying your work recently myself and the OP can learn a lot from what you do. Thanks!!


Thank you Swan. I am very flattered and somewhat embarrassed by your comment. I think that the most important prerequisites for street photography are an eye spotting the interesting opportunity that many would miss and the "nerve" to able to openly take pictures of strangers, this "nerve" is a big stumbling block for many. I seldom use a long lens as I consider this to be sneaky.

Graham

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 14:11:04   #
UP-2-IT Loc: RED STICK, LA
 
j.erwin.brown wrote:
Ah ha! I've learned I hadn't expected... that "Street Photography" can't look as though it's posed. I certainly didn't know that. Actually, this particular shot wasn't posed--it was taken with a Canon SX40 from a descrete distance--the girl had no idea I was 60 feet away clear across the street. But it DOES look as though it's posed, and that's a negative, correct? And then so do you feel that the best "Street Photography" is usually B&W? Why is that? Do colors distract from a mood... or a feeling?
Ah ha! I've learned I hadn't expected... that &quo... (show quote)


The subject, surroundings and mood would determine either color or B&W, normally color is the better as it brings out more detail of the shot.

| Reply
Oct 8, 2013 14:13:00   #
UP-2-IT Loc: RED STICK, LA
 
Graham Smith wrote:
As others have said, this isn't true street photography, and the bow is spoiling the shot. Street photography can be in colour or b&w, I prefer b&w as it removes the distraction of colour. Again, as others have said the shots shouldn't be posed, they should attempt to to capture little snippets of life. Look for the incongruous, the amusing, the shots that show what the streets are like together with those that inhabit them.

Here are links to some of my street photography, I'm not saying that this is good street photography or making any claims at all. It's just my take on the subject.
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-137940-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-152218-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-148527-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-148381-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-141092-1.html
http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-134834-1.html
As others have said, this isn't true street photog... (show quote)


All excellent examples Graham!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.