Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
OLED Display v IPS v any other option
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jun 22, 2022 17:21:41   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
My ASUS Zenbook 14" laptop with HD display crashed or should I say screen broke recently and now looking to upgrade/replace. I don't have a very large workflow and what I do is just my hobby, nothing for sale, just prints for myself, family and friends. I primarily use Luminar, Photoshop Elements and a suite of Topaz utilities for sharpening and denoise plus a few smaller ancillary programs.

Lots of sales and price reductions going on now with some good buys. But my quandary is all the new display panels on these laptops include OLED, HD, full HD, IPS, VA, WXUGA, etc. Is there any one technology that is better suited for photo editing or are they all similar for editing? I will be staying in the 14" range since we travel extensively and don't want a large laptop to lug around. Comments, recommendations and/or experience greatly appreciated...Cheers all.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 17:30:19   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
{
I don't worry about all that, I just buy laptops & monitors.
They come with what they come with.
My wife's new Dell laptop screen looks better than my 10 year old Toshiba laptop.

Monitors? <$150 (currently have an Acer 23" and an HP 24")
}

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 17:38:05   #
Bison Bud
 
IPS displays can be viewed from different angles without changing the image, where I'm pretty sure the others need to be viewed straight on to be consistent and that can be important when editing photos.

Reply
 
 
Jun 22, 2022 17:42:58   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
Longshadow wrote:
{
I don't worry about all that, I just buy laptops & monitors.
They come with what they come with.
My wife's new Dell laptop screen looks better than my 10 year old Toshiba laptop.

Monitors? <$150 (currently have an Acer 23" and an HP 24")
}



Getting to that point fast, LS....

My only monitor will be the laptop, haven't ventured into a desktop monitor, but maybe, thanks

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 17:43:43   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
Bison Bud wrote:
IPS displays can be viewed from different angles without changing the image, where I'm pretty sure the others need to be viewed straight on to be consistent and that can be important when editing photos.


Thanks, read that, might be a nice feature for sharing on the screen.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 17:51:44   #
therwol Loc: USA
 
Blaster34 wrote:
My ASUS Zenbook 14" laptop with HD display crashed or should I say screen broke recently and now looking to upgrade/replace. I don't have a very large workflow and what I do is just my hobby, nothing for sale, just prints for myself, family and friends. I primarily use Luminar, Photoshop Elements and a suite of Topaz utilities for sharpening and denoise plus a few smaller ancillary programs.

Lots of sales and price reductions going on now with some good buys. But my quandary is all the new display panels on these laptops include OLED, HD, full HD, IPS, VA, WXUGA, etc. Is there any one technology that is better suited for photo editing or are they all similar for editing? I will be staying in the 14" range since we travel extensively and don't want a large laptop to lug around. Comments, recommendations and/or experience greatly appreciated...Cheers all.
My ASUS Zenbook 14" laptop with HD display cr... (show quote)


From about 10 minutes of reading, I've learned the IPS displays are used in the best photo editing monitors. OLED displays, sometimes used in newer televisions, have stunning color but not necessarily the most accurate color, and they are prone to fading and deterioration over time. HD, Full HD and WXUGA have to do with screen resolution. WXUGA is just a wider version of full HD. I don't know if there are any laptops with 14 inch displays that are 4K. Note that you won't see any IPS displays on the high end gaming laptops. The refresh rates possible are not high enough for gaming. Hope this is all accurate.


(Download)

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 17:53:43   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Blaster34 wrote:
Getting to that point fast, LS....

My only monitor will be the laptop, haven't ventured into a desktop monitor, but maybe, thanks

I subscribe to the K.I.S.S theory, less to worry about.
(And I'm always in front of my monitors, never off to the side.)

Reply
 
 
Jun 22, 2022 17:59:03   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
Longshadow wrote:
I subscribe to the K.I.S.S theory, less to worry about.
(And I'm always in front of my monitors, never off to the side.)


So do I...So am I

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 18:04:43   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
therwol wrote:
From about 10 minutes of reading, I've learned the IPS displays are used in the best photo editing monitors. OLED displays, sometimes used in newer televisions, have stunning color but not necessarily the most accurate color, and they are prone to fading and deterioration over time. HD, Full HD and WXUGA have to do with screen resolution. WXUGA is just a wider version of full HD. I don't know if there are any laptops with 14 inch displays that are 4K. Note that you won't see any IPS displays on the high end gaming laptops. The refresh rates possible are not high enough for gaming. Hope this is all accurate.
From about 10 minutes of reading, I've learned the... (show quote)



From reading all the options on these new laptops and researching and reviewing and seeing some of the same references you have researched, guess I'll just stick with HD and not over think it (KISS). I did see some 4K displays on some high-end HP laptops, above the $2500 range....not in my current budget. Thank you

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 18:51:12   #
BebuLamar
 
Longshadow wrote:
I subscribe to the K.I.S.S theory, less to worry about.
(And I'm always in front of my monitors, never off to the side.)


I almost never use a monitor with my laptop. I have the desktop for that.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 18:55:58   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
BebuLamar wrote:
I almost never use a monitor with my laptop. I have the desktop for that.


I only have the laptop, haven’t used a PC in years or even a desktop monitor with any laptop, guess I could though…thanks BL

Reply
 
 
Jun 22, 2022 18:58:26   #
BebuLamar
 
Blaster34 wrote:
I only have the laptop, haven’t used a PC in years or even a desktop monitor with any laptop, guess I could though…thanks BL


I do want to use monitor (or rather monitors) but when I use the laptop it's for portability and the monitor takes that away. So I always have both desktop and laptop. The desktop works better for less money but it's not portable.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 19:01:28   #
Blaster34 Loc: Florida Treasure Coast
 
BebuLamar wrote:
I do want to use monitor (or rather monitors) but when I use the laptop it's for portability and the monitor takes that away. So I always have both desktop and laptop. The desktop works better for less money but it's not portable.



Reply
Jun 22, 2022 19:04:35   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
BebuLamar wrote:
I almost never use a monitor with my laptop. I have the desktop for that.

Ditto.
My 14" laptop is on a wheeled portable stand that I use while sitting in a chair, watching TV.
Our desktop has dual monitors.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 19:28:59   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
therwol wrote:
From about 10 minutes of reading, I've learned the IPS displays are used in the best photo editing monitors. OLED displays, sometimes used in newer televisions, have stunning color but not necessarily the most accurate color, and they are prone to fading and deterioration over time. HD, Full HD and WXUGA have to do with screen resolution. WXUGA is just a wider version of full HD. I don't know if there are any laptops with 14 inch displays that are 4K. Note that you won't see any IPS displays on the high end gaming laptops. The refresh rates possible are not high enough for gaming. Hope this is all accurate.
From about 10 minutes of reading, I've learned the... (show quote)


Excellent information!

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.