Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Long lenses
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
Oct 11, 2021 09:53:42   #
Ruthlessrider
 
I am contemplation selling my Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM Lens. Absolutely nothing wrong with the lens, but I’m looking for something with more range. I have a Canon 2X that I have used with this lens, but that still only gets me out to 400mm. I currently shoot with a Canon R5, and shoot mainly landscapes and wildlife. I’m looking for suggestions for a lens that will perhaps go out to 600mm that has near the quality of the canon 70-200mm. Any suggestion will be appreciated since I am not that technically oriented when it comes to the finer points of lens construction etc.

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 10:00:30   #
Toment Loc: FL, IL
 
600 or 800 f11???

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 10:11:59   #
Picture Taker Loc: Michigan Thumb
 
I just purchased the Canon 28-250 at B&H for my R5 and it is a great walk around lens. I will check into the 1.4 7/or the 2X extenders to see if I can bring the lens to 350 or 500 when the come out with the R extenders.
I was using a Tamron 28-300 on my 5D. Had that to Europe and Asia several times. Tamron said ans is correct that that lens won't focus on a "R".

Reply
 
 
Oct 11, 2021 10:31:34   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Certainly look at the f/11 RF primes at 600mm and 800mm. Look at the RF 100-500L.

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 12:32:31   #
User ID
 
Picture Taker wrote:
I just purchased the Canon 28-250 at B&H for my R5 and it is a great walk around lens. I will check into the 1.4 7/or the 2X extenders to see if I can bring the lens to 350 or 500 when the come out with the R extenders.
I was using a Tamron 28-300 on my 5D. Had that to Europe and Asia several times. Tamron said ans is correct that that lens won't focus on a "R".

250 wont do anything that 200 won’t do. What’s your point ?

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 12:42:37   #
Ruthlessrider
 
Thanks for the pointers. Are there non Canon lenses that are as good, and worth looking at?

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 12:44:36   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Ruthlessrider wrote:
Thanks for the pointers. Are there non Canon lenses that are as good, and worth looking at?


For an EOS R5? You'll get your camera confiscated asking questions like that ...

Reply
 
 
Oct 11, 2021 14:23:03   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
You might consider the 150-600 zoom if you don't mind large lenses. I chose the Tamron G2.

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 16:40:51   #
Ruthlessrider
 
I have looked at that lens, reviews I have seen say it is too soft. Do you own this lens, and, if yes, what has been your experience?

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 21:24:43   #
Bill_de Loc: US
 
Ruthlessrider wrote:
I have looked at that lens, reviews I have seen say it is too soft. Do you own this lens, and, if yes, what has been your experience?


I owned the G2 for a week or so. In bright light it was great. However, I found the A/F was not up to snuff once the was a little dimmer. I retuned it and got a refund.

I must add that I might have had a problematic lens and didn't feel like playing musical lenses. Others here have been very happy with the lens.

---

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 22:51:30   #
Ruthlessrider
 
Thank you for your response and insight.

Reply
 
 
Oct 12, 2021 00:53:38   #
PHRubin Loc: Nashville TN USA
 
Bill_de wrote:
I owned the G2 for a week or so. In bright light it was great. However, I found the A/F was not up to snuff once the was a little dimmer. I retuned it and got a refund.

I must add that I might have had a problematic lens and didn't feel like playing musical lenses. Others here have been very happy with the lens.

---

A/F is a function of the camera more than the lens. It is a matter of how sensitive the camera focus system is to the lower light. Since most lenses of this focal length (150-600) have almost identical maximum apertures, here should be little difference in A/F between them.

Reply
Oct 12, 2021 06:06:38   #
ELNikkor
 
That R5 can easily handle higher ISO's, so I'd check out the Canon 600 or 800 f11's and keep the 70-200 f4.

Reply
Oct 12, 2021 07:29:25   #
tcthome Loc: Keansburg , NJ
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
For an EOS R5? You'll get your camera confiscated asking questions like that ...



Reply
Oct 12, 2021 07:35:02   #
tcthome Loc: Keansburg , NJ
 
Depends on your budget. If you can live with the Canon f11 lens, that might be the way to go. Your subject back rounds will be busier, but you can change with your editing software. 500&600 f4 mm lenses are the way to go but are expensive. If I was shooting the R5 & had the funds, I would get the Canon RF 100-500 & the 800 f11 lenses.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.