Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Trains
B&W? I don't know.
Page 1 of 2 next>
Aug 23, 2021 22:07:26   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
I wonder of converting to B&W makes things more dramatic?

U.P. 4014


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Now for a little color.
Now for a little color....
(Download)

Reply
Aug 23, 2021 23:34:24   #
fredpnm Loc: Corrales, NM
 
For BigBoy it really depends on the photo - some a great as B&W and others as color. I think your four example, for me at least, shows that. The last photo is great with color.

As for the B&W, I think you might like them better with a little bit of grain added. The good thing with your B&W photos is that they could have been taken yesterday or 50 years ago.

Nice job!!!

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 05:23:48   #
J-SPEIGHT Loc: Akron, Ohio
 
tainkc wrote:
I wonder of converting to B&W makes things more dramatic?

U.P. 4014



Reply
 
 
Aug 24, 2021 09:35:40   #
Mac Loc: Hernando County Florida
 
tainkc wrote:
I wonder of converting to B&W makes things more dramatic?

U.P. 4014


I prefer the B&W, especially #1

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 10:36:24   #
Stephan G
 
tainkc wrote:
I wonder of converting to B&W makes things more dramatic?

U.P. 4014


The BW emphasizes the lines more so than the color. It can be seen in your comparative shots.

It is the effect that you wish to present, that counts.

great shots.

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 17:32:01   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
fredpnm wrote:
For BigBoy it really depends on the photo - some a great as B&W and others as color. I think your four example, for me at least, shows that. The last photo is great with color.

As for the B&W, I think you might like them better with a little bit of grain added. The good thing with your B&W photos is that they could have been taken yesterday or 50 years ago.

Nice job!!!
Thanks! I tend to agree with you about the grain. I don't think I would like to add grain to the 1st one. What do you think? As for Turning a color photo into a B&W, just because one can, does not necessarily mean that one should. I have seen many photos done in sepia that turned out great, but I also would have liked to have seen the color original just because.

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 17:32:24   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
J-SPEIGHT wrote:
Thanks, Jack!

Reply
 
 
Aug 24, 2021 17:33:04   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
Mac wrote:
I prefer the B&W, especially #1
O.K., good! Thank you!

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 17:36:58   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
Stephan G wrote:
The BW emphasizes the lines more so than the color. It can be seen in your comparative shots.

It is the effect that you wish to present, that counts.

great shots.
Thanks, Steve! I agree with you one this one. One can see the detail better because the eyes don't take in as much information thusly, the contrast make the details stand out better. I am pretty much color blind and when I would go deer hunting, I could see small movements through the brush, whereas my friends never saw a thing. This is why many wild animals are color blind as a form of defense.

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 18:06:56   #
fredpnm Loc: Corrales, NM
 
tainkc wrote:
Thanks! I tend to agree with you about the grain. I don't think I would like to add grain to the 1st one. What do you think? As for Turning a color photo into a B&W, just because one can, does not necessarily mean that one should. I have seen many photos done in sepia that turned out great, but I also would have liked to have seen the color original just because.


I added a bit of grain and changed the tone ever so slightly...see what you think.

The film of that period 1940s and 50s I don't think would have produced as clean a photo as yours. IF you want it to look timeless I think the grain is necessary.


(Download)

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 18:09:03   #
Stephan G
 
tainkc wrote:
Thanks, Steve! I agree with you one this one. One can see the detail better because the eyes don't take in as much information thusly, the contrast make the details stand out better. I am pretty much color blind and when I would go deer hunting, I could see small movements through the brush, whereas my friends never saw a thing. This is why many wild animals are color blind as a form of defense.


In Basic Training, we were taught how to look for shapes, rather than colors. After all these years, I still look for shapes. Brings out the "willies" in others, when I see something that others around me don't. But I will have to admit that motion, or changing in shape, alerts me. Sadly, the capability is getting away from me because of aging.

And then there is Braille. LOL.

Reply
 
 
Aug 24, 2021 20:01:25   #
Jay Pat Loc: Round Rock, Texas, USA
 
I enjoyed them all!!
Pat

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 21:44:34   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
fredpnm wrote:
I added a bit of grain and changed the tone ever so slightly...see what you think.

The film of that period 1940s and 50s I don't think would have produced as clean a photo as yours. IF you want it to look timeless I think the grain is necessary.
Hmmm... I don't know. I do see what you mean. I like the tint that you added. As for the grain; 6 of 1, half dozen of another for me. If I were to see this pic the first time with the grain, I wouldn't think anything of it. Which; actually, now that I think of it, proves your point because we naturally expect older photos to be grainy. Interesting. Thanks!

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 21:45:22   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
Stephan G wrote:
In Basic Training, we were taught how to look for shapes, rather than colors. After all these years, I still look for shapes. Brings out the "willies" in others, when I see something that others around me don't. But I will have to admit that motion, or changing in shape, alerts me. Sadly, the capability is getting away from me because of aging.

And then there is Braille. LOL.
Love it!

Reply
Aug 24, 2021 21:46:35   #
tainkc Loc: Kansas City
 
Jay Pat wrote:
I enjoyed them all!!
Pat
Thanks, Pat! Others have posted much better, but I have a few that I took from a different point of view. I shall post them.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Trains
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.