Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
EasyFileRenamer
Page 1 of 2 next>
Apr 30, 2021 07:37:59   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
I'd like to add a prefix or a suffix to a group of files. Google led me to EasyFileRenamer. I downloaded it and accepted the Trial offer. After selecting three files to rename as a test, I was led to the buying page. Why would I buy it if I don't know if it will do what I want? The cost is $20 for a year - not something I would pay for anyway.

It doesn't look like there is a way to batch rename files by adding a prefix or suffix.

EDIT: I found File Renamer Basic, a free program that seems to do what I want. I'll take a look at the paid Deluxe version.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 07:59:37   #
tcthome Loc: Keansburg , NJ
 
Hope it works.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 08:13:30   #
ezslides
 
It is built-in to Mac Os.

Reply
 
 
Apr 30, 2021 08:30:12   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
tcthome wrote:
Hope it works.


Yes, worked fine.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 08:45:20   #
Brian in Whitby Loc: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
 
I also am looking for a file rename that can take the date from the metadata of a photo and set it as a prefix to the file name. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 12:23:59   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
Brian in Whitby wrote:
I also am looking for a file rename that can take the date from the metadata of a photo and set it as a prefix to the file name. Does anyone have any suggestions.


I have been using Downloader Pro for more than a decade. I always include the date and time in my file names. The program gets it from the EXIF data.
It cost me $30 when I got it years ago. Since it's been out for that long I would expect there are a lot of similar programs out there.

As far as just renaming, IrfanView (freeware, Windows only) has a batch rename mode but as far as I know it doesn't use the date and time from the EXIF data in the name. FastStone is another freeware Windows program that does a lot of thing similar to IrfanView but I don't use it so I don't know about renaming capabilities. Wouldn't be surprised if it could do some form of batch renaming. It's used by a lot of people, so someone should know about it.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 12:55:16   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
I have been using Downloader Pro for more than a decade. I always include the date and time in my file names. The program gets it from the EXIF data.
It cost me $30 when I got it years ago. Since it's been out for that long I would expect there are a lot of similar programs out there.

As far as just renaming, IrfanView (freeware, Windows only) has a batch rename mode but as far as I know it doesn't use the date and time from the EXIF data in the name. FastStone is another freeware Windows program that does a lot of thing similar to IrfanView but I don't use it so I don't know about renaming capabilities. Wouldn't be surprised if it could do some form of batch renaming. It's used by a lot of people, so someone should know about it.
I have been using Downloader Pro for more than a d... (show quote)


Thanks. I've used Irfanview for renaming, but from what I recall, it works like Windows. and renames the same, with a number added to each. File Renamer Free let me add another word to the end of about fifty files names, so they kept their original names.

Reply
 
 
Apr 30, 2021 12:56:56   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Brian in Whitby wrote:
I also am looking for a file rename that can take the date from the metadata of a photo and set it as a prefix to the file name. Does anyone have any suggestions.


As Dirt Farmer said, take a look at Irfanview. If you want to keep the original filename, File Renamer Free can do that. It's a bit finicky to use till you get the hang of it, but I was able to add a word to each of about fifty filenames. It lets you add to the beginning or the end of filenames.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 13:20:03   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
After looking around a bit I found that you CAN use the date/time in renaming an image file with IrfanView.

Use IrfanView to view an image in the same folder that your files to be renamed are located.
Press 'B' (for batch).
Check the box for 'Batch Rename' or 'Batch Conversion - Rename Result Files' (located in the upper left corner of the dialog).
In the 'Batch Rename' section check on the 'Options' button.
For the name pattern I used '$N $E36867'

Clicking on the 'help' button will allow you to find out what $E36867 does (but you have to dig a bit). The 'help' button gives you naming pattern options. Scroll down on the list until you come to 'Important/interesting EXIF tags/placeholders (if visible in the EXIF dialog), according to EXIF specification:'

That will tell you that $E36867 will give you 'DateTimeOriginal (see Appendix A for additional examples)'

Appendix A will tell you how to extract more details from DateTimeOriginal (e.g. Hour, Minute, etc...) I didn't try those yet. I just used DateTimeOriginal.

When you get that set up, choose the file you want and add it to the list of files to be batch renamed. Then click on the 'Start Batch' button.

The first image file I tried it on was 'Ed66.jpg'. The resulting renamed file was 'Ed66 .jpg' (there was a space inserted but no date/time because that file came from a scanner and had no EXIF data. Tried it on a file from my phone, 'FullSizeRender.jpg' and got 'FullSizeRender 2021_03_15 10_07_45.jpg'

Note that since this is a batch operation you can select a group of files to rename with the template you built. They all have to be in the same folder. (You can specify a different destination folder).

PS: I will continue to use Downloader Pro since it's ingrained in my workflow and it will use a single text string to use in the file naming template and a folder naming template. But if you are not renaming your files every time you download them, the IrfanView way is cheaper.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 13:43:07   #
juan_uy Loc: Uruguay
 
I have used ReNamer with good success and Ant Renamer has good reviews and features.
Not sure if it will work for your needs Jerry and Brian, but worth looking into them.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 17:28:47   #
Brian in Whitby Loc: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
I have been using Downloader Pro for more than a decade. I always include the date and time in my file names. The program gets it from the EXIF data.
It cost me $30 when I got it years ago. Since it's been out for that long I would expect there are a lot of similar programs out there.

As far as just renaming, IrfanView (freeware, Windows only) has a batch rename mode but as far as I know it doesn't use the date and time from the EXIF data in the name. FastStone is another freeware Windows program that does a lot of thing similar to IrfanView but I don't use it so I don't know about renaming capabilities. Wouldn't be surprised if it could do some form of batch renaming. It's used by a lot of people, so someone should know about it.
I have been using Downloader Pro for more than a d... (show quote)


Thank you Dirt Farmer. I'll take a look at it.

Reply
 
 
Apr 30, 2021 17:30:21   #
Brian in Whitby Loc: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
 
jerryc41 wrote:
As Dirt Farmer said, take a look at Irfanview. If you want to keep the original filename, File Renamer Free can do that. It's a bit finicky to use till you get the hang of it, but I was able to add a word to each of about fifty filenames. It lets you add to the beginning or the end of filenames.


Thank you Jerry

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 17:39:13   #
Brian in Whitby Loc: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
After looking around a bit I found that you CAN use the date/time in renaming an image file with IrfanView.

Use IrfanView to view an image in the same folder that your files to be renamed are located.
Press 'B' (for batch).
Check the box for 'Batch Rename' or 'Batch Conversion - Rename Result Files' (located in the upper left corner of the dialog).
In the 'Batch Rename' section check on the 'Options' button.
For the name pattern I used '$N $E36867'

Clicking on the 'help' button will allow you to find out what $E36867 does (but you have to dig a bit). The 'help' button gives you naming pattern options. Scroll down on the list until you come to 'Important/interesting EXIF tags/placeholders (if visible in the EXIF dialog), according to EXIF specification:'

That will tell you that $E36867 will give you 'DateTimeOriginal (see Appendix A for additional examples)'

Appendix A will tell you how to extract more details from DateTimeOriginal (e.g. Hour, Minute, etc...) I didn't try those yet. I just used DateTimeOriginal.

When you get that set up, choose the file you want and add it to the list of files to be batch renamed. Then click on the 'Start Batch' button.

The first image file I tried it on was 'Ed66.jpg'. The resulting renamed file was 'Ed66 .jpg' (there was a space inserted but no date/time because that file came from a scanner and had no EXIF data. Tried it on a file from my phone, 'FullSizeRender.jpg' and got 'FullSizeRender 2021_03_15 10_07_45.jpg'

Note that since this is a batch operation you can select a group of files to rename with the template you built. They all have to be in the same folder. (You can specify a different destination folder).

PS: I will continue to use Downloader Pro since it's ingrained in my workflow and it will use a single text string to use in the file naming template and a folder naming template. But if you are not renaming your files every time you download them, the IrfanView way is cheaper.
After looking around a bit I found that you CAN us... (show quote)


That is a very comprehensive answer. Many thanks.
Years ago I inadvertently overwrite a bunch of photos when I downloaded from the camera into a folder that already had the same camera default file names.
To prevent that happening again, I started renaming the files on import by attaching the date to the beginning of each file name. It was very easy t do in Lightroom but now I am ditching LR and PS I need to develop a new work flow.

Many thanks to all for the advice.

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 20:53:50   #
RiJoRi Loc: Sandy Ridge, NC
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I'd like to add a prefix or a suffix to a group of files. Google led me to EasyFileRenamer. I downloaded it and accepted the Trial offer. After selecting three files to rename as a test, I was led to the buying page. Why would I buy it if I don't know if it will do what I want? The cost is $20 for a year - not something I would pay for anyway.

It doesn't look like there is a way to batch rename files by adding a prefix or suffix.

EDIT: I found File Renamer Basic, a free program that seems to do what I want. I'll take a look at the paid Deluxe version.
I'd like to add a prefix or a suffix to a group of... (show quote)


I've used TotalCommamder for years on my PCs and phone. I even PAID for it! Works like a champ. You can use any sequences of letters from the filename or extension, add a count number, or even replace character strings. It will do regex replacements as well. A whole lot better than
"FOR %%F IN (*. *) DO..." :D

--Rich

Reply
Apr 30, 2021 21:00:20   #
sebottino
 
Hello Jerry, sebottino here. For a simple file renaming system go to Nikonusa.com and download their free ViewNX-i program. Allows you full control over prefix,file-name, and suffix. Download it and give it a try.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.