Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
On This Day, Feb. 23, 1945...
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
Feb 23, 2021 10:36:55   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
Joe Rosenthal took, what is probably the most famous photograph ever taken. The photograph is of Harlon Block, Harold Keller, Ira Hayes, Harold Schultz, Franklin Sousley, and Michael Strank raising the flag on Mount Suribachi.

1st Lt. Harold G. Schrier was the one who raised the first flag on Mount Suribachi but it was considered too small and was replaced by the second flag, which Rosenthal photographed being raised.
--Bob

Feb 23, 2021 10:43:25   #
FredCM Loc: Central Illinois
 
My wife's Uncle Gus was about 3 feet from greatness, just off camera about 3 feet to the viewer's left. So it goes. She has other pictures of him on Mt. Suribachi, he's just not in THE picture.

Feb 23, 2021 10:45:18   #
John_F Loc: Minneapolis, MN
 
But that smaller flag was the only flag the he had. And that requires merit.

 
 
Feb 23, 2021 10:47:48   #
jabra
 
rmalarz wrote:
Joe Rosenthal took, what is probably the most famous photograph ever taken. The photograph is of Harlon Block, Harold Keller, Ira Hayes, Harold Schultz, Franklin Sousley, and Michael Strank raising the flag on Mount Suribachi.

1st Lt. Harold G. Schrier was the one who raised the first flag on Mount Suribachi but it was considered too small and was replaced by the second flag, which Rosenthal photographed being raised.
--Bob


Thank you for the reminder. Glory to our Heroes!

Feb 23, 2021 10:48:01   #
radiojohn
 
I found a well-done pen and ink drawing of the Marine Corps Memorial in DC. I gave it to an old, grizzled Marine who worked at the county recycling center. You think I'd handed him a bar of gold.

Feb 23, 2021 11:07:13   #
dennis2146 Loc: So California/Colorado/Idaho
 
rmalarz wrote:
Joe Rosenthal took, what is probably the most famous photograph ever taken. The photograph is of Harlon Block, Harold Keller, Ira Hayes, Harold Schultz, Franklin Sousley, and Michael Strank raising the flag on Mount Suribachi.

1st Lt. Harold G. Schrier was the one who raised the first flag on Mount Suribachi but it was considered too small and was replaced by the second flag, which Rosenthal photographed being raised.
--Bob


Thank you Bob for the remembrance. That little island, Iwo Jima, is truly sacred ground to those of us who served in the Marine Corps. My nephew, a Marine serving on Okinawa a few years ago, was privileged to be able to fly to Iwo Jima for a day. He collected some of the black sand there for his father, my twin brother and also a Marine. I have it next to a vial of sand I collected from Normandy Beach.

Thank you also for pointing out Harold Keller instead of Rene Gagnon. Gagnon was recognized back then as having helped raise the flag when he did not. He was most likely just steps away though.

Dennis

Feb 23, 2021 11:11:54   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
You're very welcome, Dennis. I followed the research regarding Keller and Gagnon. I found that quite interesting. A good acquaintance of mine was in the second wave to land on Iwo. He also spent a good deal of his later life debunking "legends" regarding the USMC. He was quite a nice, quiet, and humble individual.
--Bob

dennis2146 wrote:
Thank you Bob for the remembrance. That little island, Iwo Jima, is truly sacred ground to those of us who served in the Marine Corps. My nephew, a Marine serving on Okinawa a few years ago, was privileged to be able to fly to Iwo Jima for a day. He collected some of the black sand there for his father, my twin brother and also a Marine. I have it next to a vial of sand I collected from Normandy Beach.

Thank you also for pointing out Harold Keller instead of Rene Gagnon. Gagnon was recognized back then as having helped raise the flag when he did not. He was most likely just steps away though.

Dennis
Thank you Bob for the remembrance. That little is... (show quote)

 
 
Feb 23, 2021 11:15:38   #
dennis2146 Loc: So California/Colorado/Idaho
 
radiojohn wrote:
I found a well-done pen and ink drawing of the Marine Corps Memorial in DC. I gave it to an old, grizzled Marine who worked at the county recycling center. You think I'd handed him a bar of gold.


I can understand why your gift brought joy to the Marine. We treasure things like this as reminders of our history, those who have gone before us. All the rest of us can do is try to be the best Marines we can be through each generation of battles won. After serving two tours in Vietnam courtesy of the USMC I am proud to say, so far so good.

Years ago when I lived in Sequim, WA I had just purchased a new USMC ball cap. I wore it proudly while taking photos one day. While out and about I met a caretaker of a very elderly woman. The elderly woman saw my new cap and said, Semper Fi Marine. Best greeting I can imagine. I stopped to talk to her and asked if she had a Marine in her family. She said she did, HER. We talked for a while about her service and how proud she still felt, a common feeling among Marines. When we parted I gave her my new cap. I cannot describe how happy she was to receive it. She put it on and they walked away. I had given my phone number to the caretaker in case the Marine needed anything. She called me about a week later and said her ward was still wearing the hat with pride. I have other hats but I am glad that one went to someone Special.

Dennis

Feb 24, 2021 06:17:52   #
jerseymike
 
rmalarz wrote:
You're very welcome, Dennis. I followed the research regarding Keller and Gagnon. I found that quite interesting. A good acquaintance of mine was in the second wave to land on Iwo. He also spent a good deal of his later life debunking "legends" regarding the USMC. He was quite a nice, quiet, and humble individual.
--Bob


Why would he be interested in "debunking legends".

Feb 24, 2021 06:41:55   #
waymond Loc: Pflugerville, Texas
 
We later day veterans are in awe of what you guys accomplished under Hercueean circumstances. You did what had to be done and at a great loss of life and limb.

We are eternally indebted to you for your unselfish efforts.

Feb 24, 2021 06:55:36   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
Very simple. To present the truth.
--Bob
jerseymike wrote:
Why would he be interested in "debunking legends".

 
 
Feb 24, 2021 07:12:20   #
dsmeltz Loc: Philadelphia
 
rmalarz wrote:
Joe Rosenthal took, what is probably the most famous photograph ever taken. The photograph is of Harlon Block, Harold Keller, Ira Hayes, Harold Schultz, Franklin Sousley, and Michael Strank raising the flag on Mount Suribachi.

1st Lt. Harold G. Schrier was the one who raised the first flag on Mount Suribachi but it was considered too small and was replaced by the second flag, which Rosenthal photographed being raised.
--Bob


A link to the Pulitzer article seems called for!
https://www.pulitzer.org/article/joe-rosenthal-and-flag-raising-iwo-jima

Feb 24, 2021 07:30:26   #
nimbushopper Loc: Tampa, FL
 
Famous photo, and I've been to the spot.

Feb 24, 2021 08:11:49   #
StevenG Loc: Long Island, NY
 
rmalarz wrote:
Joe Rosenthal took, what is probably the most famous photograph ever taken. The photograph is of Harlon Block, Harold Keller, Ira Hayes, Harold Schultz, Franklin Sousley, and Michael Strank raising the flag on Mount Suribachi.

1st Lt. Harold G. Schrier was the one who raised the first flag on Mount Suribachi but it was considered too small and was replaced by the second flag, which Rosenthal photographed being raised.
--Bob



Feb 24, 2021 09:31:22   #
ELNikkor
 
My uncle's transport provided the small flag which wasn't photographed.

Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.