Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Nikon Z6 and Z7
Page: <<prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Aug 4, 2020 08:25:11   #
Brucej67 Loc: Cary, NC
 
tomcat wrote:
At the present, I don't plan to go for the Z7, even for my future landscape photography on vacations. The quality of images from the Z6 is adequate enough and very few of them will ever become wall portraits anyway. I'd rather spend the money on lenses.


These were taken with the Z6, 24-70mm f2.8 S, and SB-910. Fabulous lens. For this venue the SB-910 was not strong enough, I should have used the Godox 360 for power, but it was in Erie PA and I did not want to fly with heavy equipment.
Reception place
Reception place...
(Download)
Bride
Bride...
(Download)
Husband & wife
Husband & wife...
(Download)

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 08:40:01   #
User ID
 
Brucej67 wrote:
I assume you are talking about me, at-least Tomcat was willing to help and much appreciated. but you if you knew the answer are very condescending and no help at all, you acted like a troll rather than an authority. There are many things I don't know and at 85 many things I forgot, but being civil is not one of them.

What you assume, you assume. Taking care to not name names nor reply to a direct quote is my small nod to civility.

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 08:56:51   #
Brucej67 Loc: Cary, NC
 
User ID wrote:
What you assume, you assume. Taking care to not name names nor reply to a direct quote is my small nod to civility.


Your reply is cryptic. I am not here to start a fight, I lend my knowledge or opinions and allow others to challenge them if they know better. I respect other point of view and I do learn from people like Tomcat who helped clear that up for me and I respect him for that, but I don't respect chide remarks, I am to old to cave in to remarks you made and consider you not a person I would want as a friend.

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 09:04:58   #
User ID
 
Brucej67 wrote:
I did not mean any insult when I asked the question, you seem to hate Nikon (at least that is what it appears to me) and I was just wondering what you considered better and why. I can always learn from others, I am heavily invested in Nikon equipment and yes they often come out with problems on new cameras, but it would be to costly for me to switch at this time. I have been doing photography for 68 years and had many different brands of cameras, sold my Leica's, Mamyia's , Canon's, Pentax and Sony's and ended up with Nikon's. So please don't be insulted by my question, maybe I could have phrased it better.
I did not mean any insult when I asked the questio... (show quote)


OK. Your question really was worded as a provocation but I can accept that you say it wasn’t intended.

Have no idea why you think I hate Nikon. I bought two new Nikon lenses last week ... not that I expect anyone to read my mind and know I did that. And I still have a D610 and D750, although I seldom use any brand of SLRs anymore.

There’s three Canon SLRs here that get waaaaay less exercise than the Nikons ... like close to zero, but I don’t hate Canon either. Why would anyone hate big chunks of plastic anywho ? Or why hate whoever makes those chunks ? No one forces us to buy them !

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 09:07:58   #
Brucej67 Loc: Cary, NC
 
User ID wrote:
OK. Your question really was worded as a provocation but I can accept that you say it wasn’t intended.

Have no idea why you think I hate Nikon. I bought two new Nikon lenses last week ... not that I expect anyone to read my mind and know I did that. And I still have a 610 and 750, although I seldom use SLRs anymore.

There’s three Canon SLRs here that get waaaaay less exercise than the Nikons ... like close to zero, but I don’t hate Canon either. Why would anyone hate big chunks of plastic anywho ? Or why hate whoever makes those chunks ? No one forces us to buy them !
OK. Your question really was worded as a provocati... (show quote)


Better explanation, sorry if we got off to the wrong foot.

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 11:49:04   #
tomcat
 
Brucej67 wrote:
These were taken with the Z6, 24-70mm f2.8 S, and SB-910. Fabulous lens. For this venue the SB-910 was not strong enough, I should have used the Godox 360 for power, but it was in Erie PA and I did not want to fly with heavy equipment.


Your flash was powerful enough for the images that you posted here. In fact, it was too bright on the bride and groom in the last picture. Their flesh tones appear to be burned out on the cheeks. I would've dialed the flash back a bunch because to me--and this is just my opinion---I would rather be slightly underexposed on flash portraits. I can increase exposure, but once you've lost the cheeks and forehead, there's not much you can do.

If you want a more powerful flash than the SB-910, look for a used SB-800. I have 2 of them and they are the most powerful flashes that Nikon made (I believe more output than the SB-5000 is).

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 12:12:18   #
Brucej67 Loc: Cary, NC
 
tomcat wrote:
Your flash was powerful enough for the images that you posted here. In fact, it was too bright on the bride and groom in the last picture. Their flesh tones appear to be burned out on the cheeks. I would've dialed the flash back a bunch because to me--and this is just my opinion---I would rather be slightly underexposed on flash portraits. I can increase exposure, but once you've lost the cheeks and forehead, there's not much you can do.

If you want a more powerful flash than the SB-910, look for a used SB-800. I have 2 of them and they are the most powerful flashes that Nikon made (I believe more output than the SB-5000 is).
Your flash was powerful enough for the images that... (show quote)


The SB-910 did not reach to the end of the golden theater. I had 7 SB-800 and sold them for two SB-5000. Also own more 360 studio flashes and a bunch of Metz 64 flashes plus the SB-700. The pictures were processed in Photoshop and I used frequency separation as well as toned down the skin color (European skin light). Wish I had known that I could do away with the sleep mode on the Z6 I would have been able to take more moving shots. I brought with me 6 fully charged batteries for the camera, but only one spare set of batteries for the SB-910 and guess what, the 910 was the one that needed the extra batteries.

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 12:22:42   #
Brucej67 Loc: Cary, NC
 
tomcat wrote:
Your flash was powerful enough for the images that you posted here. In fact, it was too bright on the bride and groom in the last picture. Their flesh tones appear to be burned out on the cheeks. I would've dialed the flash back a bunch because to me--and this is just my opinion---I would rather be slightly underexposed on flash portraits. I can increase exposure, but once you've lost the cheeks and forehead, there's not much you can do.

If you want a more powerful flash than the SB-910, look for a used SB-800. I have 2 of them and they are the most powerful flashes that Nikon made (I believe more output than the SB-5000 is).
Your flash was powerful enough for the images that... (show quote)


The day before the wedding on Lake Erie PA they had a tall ship raga-ta and these images were taken with the Z6 and 24-70 f2.8 S, minimal editing mainly cropping. Like I said I love that lens.


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 18:12:06   #
tomcat
 
Brucej67 wrote:
The day before the wedding on Lake Erie PA they had a tall ship raga-ta and these images were taken with the Z6 and 24-70 f2.8 S, minimal editing mainly cropping. Like I said I love that lens.


Yessir buddy, they do look really great. That is one sharp lens. The Z system will rock when you nail everything down. By the way, changing those timers will help you with action shots too because you won't have to encounter any delays when you compose. That's one of the reasons that I have my camera set for BBF using the AF-on button. I automatically pop it just as I start to compose.

Good luck with those timer settings. They are in Custom Functions, c3

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 18:15:08   #
chasgroh Loc: Buena Park, CA
 
Brucej67 wrote:
The day before the wedding on Lake Erie PA they had a tall ship raga-ta and these images were taken with the Z6 and 24-70 f2.8 S, minimal editing mainly cropping. Like I said I love that lens.


...really nice Bruce, I'm kinda Jones'n cuz I love that area...results are solid. I have the f4 version and love it, too...

| Reply
Aug 4, 2020 18:36:13   #
Brucej67 Loc: Cary, NC
 
tomcat wrote:
Yessir buddy, they do look really great. That is one sharp lens. The Z system will rock when you nail everything down. By the way, changing those timers will help you with action shots too because you won't have to encounter any delays when you compose. That's one of the reasons that I have my camera set for BBF using the AF-on button. I automatically pop it just as I start to compose.

Good luck with those timer settings. They are in Custom Functions, c3


I to use BBF, and yes those timers should help a lot. The menu system has a few bells and whistles more than my DSLR's and I will have to learn them. I started with Nikon in 2005 with the D2x and it was a learning process then, so the learning continues.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.