Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Whats wrong
Page 1 of 2 next>
Apr 12, 2020 15:47:28   #
Jack47 Loc: Ontario
 
Took several photos today and they all have a "narrow" clear window and weird streaks. Still trying to get used to the 200-500.


(Download)

Apr 12, 2020 16:13:42   #
mrpentaxk5ii
 
Your DOF is very shallow. and being that the bird is in grass, that could part of the problem.

Apr 12, 2020 16:22:44   #
Linda From Maine Loc: Yakima, Washington
 
Did you edit, including aggressive sharpening? Can you post an unedited copy? If shot in raw, just convert to jpg.

 
 
Apr 12, 2020 16:57:47   #
bleirer
 
I think the streaks are bokeh from out of focus grass, and the window is small dof.

Apr 12, 2020 17:22:37   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
Looks like your shutter speed was too slow and you got a lot of motion blur. 1/250 is sorta slow at long zoom ranges when hand held if the light is mildly low.

Apr 13, 2020 08:06:16   #
Jack47 Loc: Ontario
 
Linda From Maine wrote:
Did you edit, including aggressive sharpening? Can you post an unedited copy? If shot in raw, just convert to jpg.


Thanks for your reply Linda. I probably did not save the original since I can't find it in my files but I am including another taken at the same time, same light (cloudy) and from the same distance. No changes were made to this one.
You are right, I did sharpen a lot and cropped, also some contrast all using VIEW NX2. The shutter speed on this one was slightly higher.


(Download)

Apr 13, 2020 08:11:06   #
Jack47 Loc: Ontario
 
kpmac wrote:
Looks like your shutter speed was too slow and you got a lot of motion blur. 1/250 is sorta slow at long zoom ranges when hand held if the light is mildly low.


VR was on but it wasn't hand held. It was on a tripod with a ball head not locked in place because these guys tend to hop around a lot. Thanks for your reply and the suggestion on shutter speed.

 
 
Apr 13, 2020 08:14:39   #
Jack47 Loc: Ontario
 
bleirer wrote:
I think the streaks are bokeh from out of focus grass, and the window is small dof.


I wondered about that myself since the distance from where the grass started to where it ended was about 30 feet or more . Maybe I should stick to birds in trees. :-)

Apr 13, 2020 08:22:33   #
Linda From Maine Loc: Yakima, Washington
 
Jack47 wrote:
Thanks for your reply Linda. I probably did not save the original since I can't find it in my files but I am including another taken at the same time, same light (cloudy) and from the same distance. No changes were made to this one.
You are right, I did sharpen a lot and cropped, also some contrast all using VIEW NX2. The shutter speed on this one was slightly higher.
In future, don't sharpen out of focus areas

In this newest pic, the line between focused and not focused seems too distinct, unrealistic. If you say no edits were done, then I guess it's the lens and depth of field, and the scene itself with all those slender blades of grass.

It would be interesting to compare to other subjects and scenes, but you have info from the other folks here about camera settings, so you have a good direction in which to practice.

Apr 13, 2020 10:14:01   #
Electric Gnome Loc: Norwich UK
 
I think Linda had nailed the issue, looks like artifacting from over sharpening out of focus area, try to restrict sharpening to just the bird using a brush tool or masking.

Apr 13, 2020 11:24:14   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
Electric Gnome wrote:
I think Linda had nailed the issue, looks like artifacting from over sharpening out of focus area, try to restrict sharpening to just the bird using a brush tool or masking.


Unsharp Mask will not sharpen an out of focus area like this even with artifacts. Maybe Smart Sharpen will but I've never seen it.

 
 
Apr 13, 2020 13:03:04   #
jotaele
 
I rented the 200-500 mm Nikon lens for a trip to Pantanal last year and the great majority of the pictures were awful. I paired the lens with my D850 and it did not work out. Therefore i did not buy it, so I went and got the 500mm which is excellent.

Apr 13, 2020 14:29:22   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
Those streaks in a supposedly out of focus area are sharp, almost like a cross hatching stroke in Filters. My guess is not an optics issue with the glass.

Apr 13, 2020 16:55:58   #
Jack47 Loc: Ontario
 
Thanks everyone for your help. I guess it’s practice, practice, practice.

Apr 13, 2020 18:33:56   #
JeffDavidson Loc: Originally Detroit Now Los Angeles
 
It appears that you depth of field is very shallow. If you cropped the shot in your camera, or if necessary afterwards inn pp, you could eliminate the foreground out of focus and the bakcground could be a nice bokeh.

Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.