Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Upgrrade
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Dec 1, 2019 19:54:30   #
royobrett
 
I'm contemplating upgrading my D800 to either the D850 or the Z7 and I'm having a problem deciding.
I like the flip screen on the 850 which would save my knees while shooting cars.
It would look to me that the Z7 is going to be more expensive: ie cards, batteries, lens adapter, sub base etc.
Any suggestions?

And why should I change?
No filter like the 810?

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 20:01:48   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Don't let the photographer you were yesterday stop you from buying a new camera tomorrow.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 20:06:25   #
Fotoartist Loc: Pleasant Ridge, Michigan
 
I'd say it's based at least partly on your age.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 20:19:02   #
quixdraw Loc: American Free States -- Montana
 
When I got a used D 750 several years ago, I thought the flip screen would be very useful. Not, even though I do lots of Bugs & Blossoms. I've probably used the feature a dozen times - to me, not worth the vulnerability and occasional awkwardness when deploying or re casing the camera. Friend has the D 850 - loves it. I have a D 810 and find it to be very fine. Can't imagine more pixels being either useful or efficient. Doing anything with D 810 images takes measurably more time than DF, D 750, or D 7200. With any significant number of images, the time really adds up. In re: the Z, can't say for you, for me I have too much invested in very good lenses for current Nikon mount to consider a different one. Good luck on your decision!

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 20:57:18   #
rgrenaderphoto Loc: Hollywood, CA
 
royobrett wrote:
I'm contemplating upgrading my D800 to either the D850 or the Z7 and I'm having a problem deciding.
I like the flip screen on the 850 which would save my knees while shooting cars.
It would look to me that the Z7 is going to be more expensive: ie cards, batteries, lens adapter, sub base etc.
Any suggestions?

And why should I change?
No filter like the 810?


As a dedicated Nikon shooter, I have to admit the "Z" line is going nowhere. Released in 2018, Nikon's lens releases are taking too long and no 3rd party lens manufacturers have announced compatible lenses. Contrast this to the Canon EOS-R, SIgma has just announced compatible "R" lenses are in the pipeline.

I'd go with the D850, you already have full-frame "F" glass, and the capabilities of the D850 are incredible.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 21:30:54   #
Mac Loc: Hernando County Florida
 
royobrett wrote:
I'm contemplating upgrading my D800 to either the D850 or the Z7 and I'm having a problem deciding.
I like the flip screen on the 850 which would save my knees while shooting cars.
It would look to me that the Z7 is going to be more expensive: ie cards, batteries, lens adapter, sub base etc.
Any suggestions?

And why should I change?
No filter like the 810?


Why are you thinking of changing? Do the other cameras you mentioned have something you need that your current camera doesn't give you?
If your current camera does all you need and want, think about additional/upgrade glass.
If you have all the glass you need and want, save up your pennies for a photographic trip.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 21:41:13   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA
 
Mac wrote:
Why are you thinking of changing? Do the other cameras you mentioned have something you need that your current camera doesn't give you?
If your current camera does all you need and want, think about additional/upgrade glass.
If you have all the glass you need and want, save up your pennies for a photographic trip.


| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 22:25:29   #
ralf
 
I recently upgraded from DX to FX. I went with the D850 due to superlative lens availability (and the fact that the D850 is possibly the best general-purpose DSLR currently available on planet Earth). The Z7 will not have a decent selection of native Z lens for at least 2-3 years - and maybe longer. I am not interested in "adapted" F lenses for the Z cameras -- they do not work as well as Z lenses, and they do not work as well on Z as they do on a good F mount body. I'm too old to wait for Z to come into its own, so I went with the D850. I am very happy with my choice.

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 23:05:23   #
jwreed50 Loc: Manassas, VA
 
rgrenaderphoto wrote:
I'd go with the D850, you already have full-frame "F" glass, and the capabilities of the D850 are incredible.


I agree with this. The D850 gives you a significant step up in features and capabilities while still allowing you to use the F-mount lenses you’ve already invested in. There’s a reason that DSLR sales still outpace mirrorless sales . . .

| Reply
Dec 1, 2019 23:08:30   #
Vietnam Vet
 
You buy the camera because it does something you wish your current camera did

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 00:12:49   #
Harry0
 
quixdraw wrote:
When I got a used D 750 several years ago, I thought the flip screen would be very useful. Not, even though I do lots of Bugs & Blossoms. I've probably used the feature a dozen times - to me, not worth the vulnerability and occasional awkwardness when deploying or re casing the camera. Friend has the D 850 - loves it. I have a D 810 and find it to be very fine. Can't imagine more pixels being either useful or efficient. Doing anything with D 810 images takes measurably more time than DF, D 750, or D 7200. With any significant number of images, the time really adds up. In re: the Z, can't say for you, for me I have too much invested in very good lenses for current Nikon mount to consider a different one. Good luck on your decision!
When I got a used D 750 several years ago, I thoug... (show quote)


I found that that kind of flippy screen is very handy for waist level shooting.
Especially for kids, chair sitters, animals, etc.

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 04:48:49   #
rmorrison1116 Loc: Southeast, Southcentral PA
 
My recommendation is the D850. It's an excellent camera and I'm sure you will be very happy with it, mirror, pentaprism and all. Just keep in mind, the image files are larger than what you are use to so it may require a PC upgrade or post processing software, or not.

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 06:00:16   #
CO
 
The D850 has superior autofocus. I rented the Z6 for two weeks not long ago and did comparisons with my D500 (it has the same AF system as the D850). The Z6 would often hunt, trying to achieve focus in even slightly dim light. I activated the low-light focusing mode but that didn't help. My D500 would achieve focus on the same subject immediately. The D500 and D850 are superior for continuous AF tracking as well. The Z7 has more autofocus points than the Z6 but it's still basically the same AF. They would need to improve the autofocus performance of the Z cameras a lot before I would purchase one.

| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 06:02:59   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
CHG_CANON wrote:
Don't let the photographer you were yesterday stop you from buying a new camera tomorrow.



| Reply
Dec 2, 2019 06:04:28   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
royobrett wrote:
I'm contemplating upgrading my D800 to either the D850 or the Z7 and I'm having a problem deciding.
I like the flip screen on the 850 which would save my knees while shooting cars.
It would look to me that the Z7 is going to be more expensive: ie cards, batteries, lens adapter, sub base etc.
Any suggestions?

And why should I change?
No filter like the 810?


My first rule of photography is never buy the first camera in a line of camera's.
My second rule is that you can't beat the 3rd generation of a camera line. (hint, hint, hint, D850)

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.