Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
GAS attack new camera quest
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 next>>
Nov 10, 2019 23:18:57   #
ollie Loc: Ogdensburg, NY
 
Time for my granddaughter to get into photography ( on yearbook staff in high school) I'm going to give her my Nikon D7000 w/ 18 to 140 Nikon lens. Problem, what to replace it with ? I already have the D800 I use primarily for scenics and a D7100 w/ 80 - 400 for wildlife. The D7000 was my out in the woods hunting or out on the water fishing camera. I'm thinking of the D7500 w/ either an 18 - 140 or an 18 - 300. Thoughts ? from anyone with either combination of a better suggestion ? thanks

| Reply
Nov 10, 2019 23:38:45   #
PixelStan77 Loc: Vermont/Chicago
 
ollie wrote:
Time for my granddaughter to get into photography ( on yearbook staff in high school) I'm going to give her my Nikon D7000 w/ 18 to 140 Nikon lens. Problem, what to replace it with ? I already have the D800 I use primarily for scenics and a D7100 w/ 80 - 400 for wildlife. The D7000 was my out in the woods hunting or out on the water fishing camera. I'm thinking of the D7500 w/ either an 18 - 140 or an 18 - 300. Thoughts ? from anyone with either combination of a better suggestion ? thanks
Time for my granddaughter to get into photography ... (show quote)


Suggestion is no GAS attack. You have a great D800

| Reply
Nov 10, 2019 23:48:10   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
Only you can decide.

| Reply
Nov 10, 2019 23:49:11   #
bsprague Loc: Near Tacoma, WA, USA
 
You may not want my thoughts! You appear to be out of touch with today's highschool students. Based on personal experience with granddaughters doing the paper and year book, the the dominant workflow is with connected cameras called smart phones. Anything like a D7000 doesn't fit and could deem your granddaughter as an outcast in the social network. The team approach does not have one member on a Kawasaki road bike with the rest are peddling bicycles.

Secondly, if your granddaughter is interested in photography it will be her version of it. She needs to be picking out her tools, not taking your cast offs.

Social needs in that age group are intense. She is picking a group to join and fitting in can be precarious. Dangling a Nikon around her neck could be as strange as showing up wearing grandma's diamonds!

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 00:01:44   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
bsprague wrote:
You may not want my thoughts! You appear to be out of touch with today's highschool students. Based on personal experience with granddaughters doing the paper and year book, the the dominant workflow is with connected cameras called smart phones. Anything like a D7000 doesn't fit and could deem your granddaughter as an outcast in the social network. The team approach does not have one member on a Kawasaki road bike with the rest are peddling bicycles.

Secondly, if your granddaughter is interested in photography it will be her version of it. She needs to be picking out her tools, not taking your cast offs.

Social needs in that age group are intense. She is picking a group to join and fitting in can be precarious. Dangling a Nikon around her neck could be as strange as showing up wearing grandma's diamonds!
You may not want my thoughts! You appear to be ou... (show quote)


Wow. Are you for real?

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 00:23:24   #
bsprague Loc: Near Tacoma, WA, USA
 
SuperflyTNT wrote:
Wow. Are you for real?


Yup! I am a "real" proud grandfather of two great granddaughters. It was and continues to be a two way learning process. They taught me a lot about how high school works. It is light years away from what I expected and was 60 years ago.

The OP wanted "thoughts". It is a forum and I had nothing better to do than offer what my granddaughters taught me about photography.

Oddly, the youngest one, has more followers on Instagram viewing here work than I ever had look at any prints I made. Yes, and she has a Nikon! It mostly sits at home on the shelf because it can't be as spontaneous, instant and relevant as a phone.

Yes, I really am real!

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 00:53:22   #
Ched49 Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa.
 
All the Nikon D7xxx are alike with the D7500 being the flagship of that series.

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 00:55:36   #
Ched49 Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa.
 
bsprague wrote:
You may not want my thoughts! You appear to be out of touch with today's highschool students. Based on personal experience with granddaughters doing the paper and year book, the the dominant workflow is with connected cameras called smart phones. Anything like a D7000 doesn't fit and could deem your granddaughter as an outcast in the social network. The team approach does not have one member on a Kawasaki road bike with the rest are peddling bicycles.

Secondly, if your granddaughter is interested in photography it will be her version of it. She needs to be picking out her tools, not taking your cast offs.

Social needs in that age group are intense. She is picking a group to join and fitting in can be precarious. Dangling a Nikon around her neck could be as strange as showing up wearing grandma's diamonds!
You may not want my thoughts! You appear to be ou... (show quote)


Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 01:34:37   #
linda lagace
 
ollie wrote:
Time for my granddaughter to get into photography ( on yearbook staff in high school) I'm going to give her my Nikon D7000 w/ 18 to 140 Nikon lens. Problem, what to replace it with ? I already have the D800 I use primarily for scenics and a D7100 w/ 80 - 400 for wildlife. The D7000 was my out in the woods hunting or out on the water fishing camera. I'm thinking of the D7500 w/ either an 18 - 140 or an 18 - 300. Thoughts ? from anyone with either combination of a better suggestion ? thanks
Time for my granddaughter to get into photography ... (show quote)


I really enjoy my D800 with its nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 for general use and with my tamron 150 - 600 for birds No other cameras but these seem to meet my needs Maybe you just need a new lens for your D800? And maybe just the fact that you want to share your hobby and camera with your granddaughter is all she needs to know how much you care about her. That is really the greatest gift.

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 03:33:19   #
BlueMorel Loc: Southwest Michigan
 
I think that's a great idea to share camera knowledge to a young person! Even if she doesn't use it for the yearbook it will stretch her mind and have her think out of the box, plus have valuable experiences with Grandpa. If she's been around you when you're clicking away then her interest may already be piqued.
You shouldn't paint all teenagers with one brush. I have five grandchildren who I see regularly and though they're from the same family they have different tastes, hobbies, career choices. But they're always eager to spend time with me as time permits. And some have dslrs!

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 05:45:50   #
mas24 Loc: Southern CA
 
Being on this forum, I have discovered some uhh members only have one camera, and some have many cameras and lenses. I own 3 cameras and a smartphone. None of them are pro level cameras, but none older than 4 years old. My next purchase will be another lens, not a new camera. Giving your granddaughter your D7000 and a lens was generous of you. If you want to replace your D7000, that replacement will not break the bank. I saw an ad for a refurbished D7500, not long ago, for $599. And that camera is better than the D7000, IMO. The D7000 has 16 megapixels. The D7500, has the same sensor as the D500, 20.9 megapixels. I hope your granddaughter does well with the D7000. Good luck.

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 05:59:22   #
CO
 
You already have a D7100 with 80-400mm lens for wildlife. I don't see what you would be gaining by buying a D7500 with 18-140mm or 18-300mm lens.

If your 80-400mm lens is the first generation one with the screw drive autofocus, I can see upgrading that one. It had slow autofocus and was not good for continuous autofocus tracking. I have the newer AF-S version. It's worlds better than the first one. It has very fast autofocus and is excellent for continuous AF tracking.

A significant DX sensor upgrade would be a D500. The D5, D500, and D850 have Nikon's best autofocus system and are the first to have a processor dedicated to just the autofocus.

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 06:17:04   #
mas24 Loc: Southern CA
 
bsprague wrote:
Yup! I am a "real" proud grandfather of two great granddaughters. It was and continues to be a two way learning process. They taught me a lot about how high school works. It is light years away from what I expected and was 60 years ago.

The OP wanted "thoughts". It is a forum and I had nothing better to do than offer what my granddaughters taught me about photography.

Oddly, the youngest one, has more followers on Instagram viewing here work than I ever had look at any prints I made. Yes, and she has a Nikon! It mostly sits at home on the shelf because it can't be as spontaneous, instant and relevant as a phone.

Yes, I really am real!
Yup! I am a "real" proud grandfather of... (show quote)


I have 4 High Schools within a 20 mile radius of where I live. I have friends who have sons who play football, and one has a daughter who has exceptional cheerleader skills. She's a Senior now, on the High School cheerleaders team. I have attended two of the High School football games. And two basketball games. All High School Students are not alike. All High Schools are not alike.

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 06:29:04   #
MrBumps2U Loc: Fort Myers, FL
 
I’ll disagree with the “kids only use phones” theory. When serious images are required, good gear is used. We have a photogenic beach near us, and we have seen portrait sessions with teens looking to get top quality images of themselves. IF the granddaughter is good, it could be a social plus, not a drawback.

| Reply
Nov 11, 2019 06:36:57   #
Tomfl101 Loc: Mount Airy, MD
 
I suggest you give her some lessons and let her use your long lens for field sports. That’s one area where the contract YB photographers outshine the student photographers. Capturing great sports action will give her utmost confidence and set her apart from her peers.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.