Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
New Computer Question
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 next>>
Mar 15, 2019 15:42:58   #
MikeMck (a regular here)
 
presidentspilot wrote:
Best and easiest answer?..Buy Acronis True Image software!..Ya can't screw-up,.. and when done, you can boot-up the second laptop EXACTLY like you did the first one! It makes a COMPLETE COPY of your master laptop and moves EVERYTHING, (OS AND DATA) at one time, to the second laptop. When done moving the WHOLE IMAGE, just boot up the new laptop!..Simple!! Over the years I have tried other software, NOT WANTING TO PAY,...but when I used Acronis, I found it was the ONLY re-imaging program I would ever use. I use Acronis, REPEATEDLY, to make back-ups of EVERYTHING, so in case my first computer won't boot, my ACRONIS-backup hard/solid state drive WILL!! It is the ONLY program I have EVER PAID FOR, but well worth it!!
Best and easiest answer?..Buy Acronis True Image s... (show quote)


Thank you

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 15:49:00   #
jeep_daddy (a regular here)
 
MikeMck wrote:
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am also in the market for an application that I can use to transfer all my data and applications from my old laptop to my new laptop My question, has anyone used one of these programs with success? Thank you.


Don't listen to most of these nimrods. You can't do what you want to do. You must buy a new laptop and then install each individual program to it and do it like the day you purchased the app. You must have your registration number or validation number to make most software work.

The reason you can't do what you think you want to do is that each new computer has an operating system with software drivers designed for it's hardware such as the motherboard, video, USB ports, WiFi hardware, Bluetooth hardware, etc etc etc. If you were to do a complete mirror of your old computer and put it on your new computer, the operating system would be old and outdated (most likely unless your old computer is not that old) and it wouldn't have proper drivers to make the new computers hardware work properly.

You can back up your old DATA and then use it on the new computer. No problem Lots of programs, free and not free that do a good job. If this is what you want to do, just ask and you'll get a lot of response here.

When you get your new computer, I would suggest that you turn on the old one and "deactivate" the programs that you have paid good money for. Many of them have limits as to how many computers you are licensed to run them on. Adobe apps allow 2 computers for most of their apps.

I hope you have retained all your application S/N's or activation codes. If not, maybe before you toss the old computer you should look for them and if you can't find them contact the software companies to see if they can give them to you again. Tell them you plan to get a new computer. On one last note, sometimes when you buy a new computer old software is not compatible with your new computers operating system etc. I've had this happen many times. Be prepared to plop down some money for a new copy of an application you use a lot if this happens to you. You can usually go to their website and see what the requirements are for the version you own. Also, be prepared for some hardware that might not be compatible with your new computer. I purchased a new computer (this is a long time ago) and my old flat-bed scanner was no longer compatible with the new computer. This old flat-bed scanner had a SCSI card that needed a slot which my new computer didn't have. In the bin the scanner went.

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 16:50:54   #
burkphoto (a regular here)
 
jeep_daddy wrote:
Don't listen to most of these nimrods. You can't do what you want to do. You must buy a new laptop and then install each individual program to it and do it like the day you purchased the app. You must have your registration number or validation number to make most software work.

The reason you can't do what you think you want to do is that each new computer has an operating system with software drivers designed for it's hardware such as the motherboard, video, USB ports, WiFi hardware, Bluetooth hardware, etc etc etc. If you were to do a complete mirror of your old computer and put it on your new computer, the operating system would be old and outdated (most likely unless your old computer is not that old) and it wouldn't have proper drivers to make the new computers hardware work properly.

You can back up your old DATA and then use it on the new computer. No problem Lots of programs, free and not free that do a good job. If this is what you want to do, just ask and you'll get a lot of response here.

When you get your new computer, I would suggest that you turn on the old one and "deactivate" the programs that you have paid good money for. Many of them have limits as to how many computers you are licensed to run them on. Adobe apps allow 2 computers for most of their apps.

I hope you have retained all your application S/N's or activation codes. If not, maybe before you toss the old computer you should look for them and if you can't find them contact the software companies to see if they can give them to you again. Tell them you plan to get a new computer. On one last note, sometimes when you buy a new computer old software is not compatible with your new computers operating system etc. I've had this happen many times. Be prepared to plop down some money for a new copy of an application you use a lot if this happens to you. You can usually go to their website and see what the requirements are for the version you own. Also, be prepared for some hardware that might not be compatible with your new computer. I purchased a new computer (this is a long time ago) and my old flat-bed scanner was no longer compatible with the new computer. This old flat-bed scanner had a SCSI card that needed a slot which my new computer didn't have. In the bin the scanner went.
Don't listen to most of these nimrods. You can't ... (show quote)


Macs are different. If old software is compatible with the OS on the new machine, Migration Assistant will pull it over.

Yes, you may have to re-enter an activation code and serial number, but if you bought the app from the online Apple App Store, then your Apple ID allows you to download it again on another Mac. Some software may require deactivating on the old Mac, but that’s rare now.

As for rolling obsolescence, I feel your pain... I have several old computers around, plus several old startup drives, just to run older software and hardware!

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 18:11:50   #
JohnSwanda (a regular here)
 
burkphoto wrote:
Macs are different. If old software is compatible with the OS on the new machine, Migration Assistant will pull it over.

Yes, you may have to re-enter an activation code and serial number, but if you bought the app from the online Apple App Store, then your Apple ID allows you to download it again on another Mac. Some software may require deactivating on the old Mac, but that’s rare now.

As for rolling obsolescence, I feel your pain... I have several old computers around, plus several old startup drives, just to run older software and hardware!
Macs are different. If old software is compatible ... (show quote)


Right. I had a old Mac G5 which died. I just took the external hard drive with a Time Machine backup and migrated everything onto my Mac laptop. Then when I got a new Mac Mini desktop I migrated everything again from the Time Machine backup for the laptop. I never had to reinstall anything or enter any serial numbers. The only applications which didn't work were ones that weren't compatible with the new Mac's OS.

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 18:42:59   #
jeep_daddy (a regular here)
 
burkphoto wrote:
Macs are different. If old software is compatible with the OS on the new machine, Migration Assistant will pull it over.

Yes, you may have to re-enter an activation code and serial number, but if you bought the app from the online Apple App Store, then your Apple ID allows you to download it again on another Mac. Some software may require deactivating on the old Mac, but that’s rare now.

As for rolling obsolescence, I feel your pain... I have several old computers around, plus several old startup drives, just to run older software and hardware!
Macs are different. If old software is compatible ... (show quote)


Assuming that the OP has a Mac and wants to get a new Mac. I think it also depends on how old the Mac is.

Something tells me that he isn't a Mac user. Most Mac users are pretty loyal and use every opportunity to say so. I went back to see if he ever mentioned what he uses and unless I missed it, he doesn't say.

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 18:45:15   #
MikeMck (a regular here)
 
jeep_daddy wrote:
Assuming that the OP has a Mac and wants to get a new Mac. I think it also depends on how old the Mac is.

Something tells me that he isn't a Mac user. Most Mac users are pretty loyal and use every opportunity to say so. I went back to see if he ever mentioned what he uses and unless I missed it, he doesn't say.


It’s a PC. I should have mentioned that.

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 20:38:04   #
bpulv (a regular here)
 
jeep_daddy wrote:
Don't listen to most of these nimrods. You can't do what you want to do. You must buy a new laptop and then install each individual program to it and do it like the day you purchased the app. You must have your registration number or validation number to make most software work.

The reason you can't do what you think you want to do is that each new computer has an operating system with software drivers designed for it's hardware such as the motherboard, video, USB ports, WiFi hardware, Bluetooth hardware, etc etc etc. If you were to do a complete mirror of your old computer and put it on your new computer, the operating system would be old and outdated (most likely unless your old computer is not that old) and it wouldn't have proper drivers to make the new computers hardware work properly.

You can back up your old DATA and then use it on the new computer. No problem Lots of programs, free and not free that do a good job. If this is what you want to do, just ask and you'll get a lot of response here.

When you get your new computer, I would suggest that you turn on the old one and "deactivate" the programs that you have paid good money for. Many of them have limits as to how many computers you are licensed to run them on. Adobe apps allow 2 computers for most of their apps.

I hope you have retained all your application S/N's or activation codes. If not, maybe before you toss the old computer you should look for them and if you can't find them contact the software companies to see if they can give them to you again. Tell them you plan to get a new computer. On one last note, sometimes when you buy a new computer old software is not compatible with your new computers operating system etc. I've had this happen many times. Be prepared to plop down some money for a new copy of an application you use a lot if this happens to you. You can usually go to their website and see what the requirements are for the version you own. Also, be prepared for some hardware that might not be compatible with your new computer. I purchased a new computer (this is a long time ago) and my old flat-bed scanner was no longer compatible with the new computer. This old flat-bed scanner had a SCSI card that needed a slot which my new computer didn't have. In the bin the scanner went.
Don't listen to most of these nimrods. You can't ... (show quote)



That is true on a PC with Windows, however it is NOT true on a Mac.

| Reply
Mar 16, 2019 00:59:14   #
fantom (a regular here)
 
Dikdik wrote:
Won't likely copy applications over... even within the same PC/Mac system. You will likely have to reinstall the apps.

Data is usually OK.

Dik


Is this true if you copy everything to mac TimeMachine and then open Time Machine on the new computer?

| Reply
Mar 16, 2019 01:21:09   #
TBPJr
 
MikeMck wrote:
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am also in the market for an application that I can use to transfer all my data and applications from my old laptop to my new laptop My question, has anyone used one of these programs with success? Thank you.


If you are shopping for a good laptop, try Lenovo--it has several lines with differing capabilities, from a mobile workstation to an ultralite. I "built" one recently on the website--it was one of its most powerful machines, with an eight-core processor, and it could take 128 Gb of RAM (I didn't buy--my current one is pretty good and in good shape, even though it's old). You should be able to find a laptop that meets your requirements. Its warranty service is superb--I always get a four- or five-year warranty, including accidental damage coverage.

You will need to reinstall your programs; however, it should be no problem at all to transfer your data, whether you use a network connection, a peer-to-peer network cable (without a router), or simply copy everything using a flash drive or an SD card (I just saw a 512 Gb Micro SD card for sale). Good luck.

| Reply
Mar 16, 2019 17:30:32   #
OleMe
 
MikeMck wrote:
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am also in the market for an application that I can use to transfer all my data and applications from my old laptop to my new laptop My question, has anyone used one of these programs with success? Thank you.


I am very partial to Lenovo X1-carbon laptops. They work great and now have standard SSDs (solid state drives). If you are not in a hurry, shop their web site and look for clearances and sales.

I recommend buying an external drive to copy your pictures to. This will serve as a backup AND a place to copy them onto your new PC. What ever you do, it will take a good bit of time if you have a lot of photos. Start your copying before going to bed!

Applications: don't try to move them. It's likely that you'll introduce problems. You'll be much better off re-installing them. If you have out-dated Microsoft software or don't have original installation media, look for open source / free applications. In particular, LibreOffice can be used in place of MS Office and it's free! "The GIMP" is powerful editing software and also free. Ping me if you want to preserve things like settings for FireFox or Thunderbird email client.

Good luck on the move. It takes a lot of effort to move / upgrade.

/Roger

| Reply
Mar 16, 2019 18:02:21   #
TriX (a regular here)
 
I’ve had good luck with both Dell and Lenovo - probably had a dozen Dells and half that many Lenovo’s with zero problems with either. I have 4 old Dell laptops here that range from 10 years old (XP machines that just won’t quit) To a Win 10 machine and a Lenovo Win 10 with SSD. They’re all rock solid. Going to convert the Dell to Intel SSD shortly and use Acronis to migrate (Intel uses Acronis as their SSD migration tool).

| Reply
Mar 17, 2019 18:28:26   #
burkphoto (a regular here)
 
fantom wrote:
Is this true if you copy everything to mac TimeMachine and then open Time Machine on the new computer?


Not for App Store downloads. Your Apple ID let’s you reinstall them. Microsoft Office 365 site may need a quick visit. Adobe CC users just download the Creative Cloud Desktop App and sign in with Adobe ID to download the CC apps you subscribe to.

| Reply
Mar 17, 2019 19:40:24   #
TriX (a regular here)
 
burkphoto wrote:
Not for App Store downloads. Your Apple ID let’s you reinstall them. Microsoft Office 365 site may need a quick visit. Adobe CC users just download the Creative Cloud Desktop App and sign in with Adobe ID to download the CC apps you subscribe to.


The OP said he has a PC 🤫.

| Reply
Mar 17, 2019 21:37:46   #
burkphoto (a regular here)
 
TriX wrote:
The OP said he has a PC 🤫.


I know. This was in response to another user...

| Reply
Mar 17, 2019 21:42:04   #
TriX (a regular here)
 
burkphoto wrote:
I know. This was in response to another user...


Good information for a Mac user migrating... 😎

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.