Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
New Computer Question
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Mar 14, 2019 07:46:33   #
MikeMck
 
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am also in the market for an application that I can use to transfer all my data and applications from my old laptop to my new laptop My question, has anyone used one of these programs with success? Thank you.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 07:52:22   #
traderjohn (a regular here)
 
MikeMck wrote:
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am also in the market for an application that I can use to transfer all my data and applications from my old laptop to my new laptop My question, has anyone used one of these programs with success? Thank you.


Bring your old laptop to an Apple store they with the purchase of an Apple will help you.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 08:19:42   #
Dikdik
 
Personal quirk... but, I would go with PC based laptops.

Dik

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 08:24:47   #
jmizera
 
Are you talking Windows or Mac? Not sure about Mac, but unless you are buy an identical machine, you cannot simply copy most applications from the old to the new. Some simple programs allow this, but most will need to be installed again.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 08:27:18   #
jaymatt (a regular here)
 
With Mac you can easily transfer from an old to a new machine, either by attaching a cable or doing it wirelessly. Using the cable is faster, but not necessary.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 08:28:36   #
LarryFitz
 
A Ethernet Crossover cable will be able to connect both PC together. Then you can share drive an move the file you want to. The problem I have with store employees doing it is they move everything including the junk or duplicate files. Deciding for yourself takes longer but keeps your new system cleaner.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 08:41:51   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
LarryFitz wrote:
A Ethernet Crossover cable will be able to connect both PC together. Then you can share drive an move the file you want to. The problem I have with store employees doing it is they move everything including the junk or duplicate files. Deciding for yourself takes longer but keeps your new system cleaner.


| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 08:53:52   #
NCMtnMan
 
You cannot simply copy Windows based programs from one machine to another. Part of the installation process make changes and settings to parts of a critical operating system database. You have to reinstall the programs. If you are upgrading a hard drive in a system, then you can use a cloning program to clone/copy the old hard drive's contents to the new drive.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 08:54:21   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
MikeMck wrote:
I am in the market for a new laptop. I am also in the market for an application that I can use to transfer all my data and applications from my old laptop to my new laptop My question, has anyone used one of these programs with success? Thank you.


Not at all difficult. Take your time.

https://m.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-your-data-old-pc-new-pc
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/how-to-transfer-files-to-a-new-computer.html
https://gizmodo.com/how-to-transfer-data-between-two-computers-without-losi-1826865148

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 09:27:44   #
Dikdik
 
LarryFitz wrote:
A Ethernet Crossover cable will be able to connect both PC together.


Won't likely copy applications over... even within the same PC/Mac system. You will likely have to reinstall the apps.

Data is usually OK.

Dik

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 11:38:48   #
TriX (a regular here)
 
Your download folder should have the majority of your application installation executables. Just copy it, your data and your bookmarks, cookies and favorites from your browser to the new machine, and reinstall your aps.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 11:59:48   #
Dikdik
 
TriX wrote:
Your download folder should have the majority of your application installation executables. Just copy it, your data and your bookmarks, cookies and favorites from your browser to the new machine, and reinstall your aps.


Likely won't work... files are installed in numerous directories and there are modifications to the Registry that cannot be copied.

Dik

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 12:20:00   #
JohnSwanda (a regular here)
 
jaymatt wrote:
With Mac you can easily transfer from an old to a new machine, either by attaching a cable or doing it wirelessly. Using the cable is faster, but not necessary.


Also with a Mac you can transfer to a new computer from a time machine backup on an external drive.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 12:43:07   #
Dikdik
 
JohnSwanda wrote:
Also with a Mac you can transfer to a new computer from a time machine backup on an external drive.


Applications, too? Didn't know that.

Dik

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 13:08:35   #
JohnSwanda (a regular here)
 
Dikdik wrote:
Applications, too? Didn't know that.

Dik


It's an Apple utility built into Macs called Migration Assistant.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.