Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Commercial and Industrial Photography
First try at produce Photography (Cont.)
Page 1 of 2 next>
Feb 21, 2019 19:13:27   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
After several more attempts. This is what I finally came up with. Only one 1600 lumens LED was used.
Added an old crate. Moved the overhead softbox back and tilted it towards the bottle. Used larger white foam core panels to bounce the light and a couple of black ones to eliminate some unwanted reflections from stuff on the walls. Small piece of foil tape to the back of the glass to highlight the label. Pushed the background back a far as possible. Used a 60mm 2.8 macro lens, ISO 100.

I'm not entirely excited about some of the reflections, especially on the glass. But, after viewing images of wine bottles and Glassware this seems to be acceptable. Maybe more/different lighting may help.

E.L.. Shapiro has been helping me with understanding how to light and compose this project and I'm very grateful for his help. Looking forward to any comments.

--Steve


(Download)

Reply
Feb 21, 2019 19:16:05   #
PixelStan77 Loc: Vermont/Chicago
 
steve DeMott wrote:
After several more attempts. This is what I finally came up with. Only one 1600 lumans LED was used.
Added an old crate. Moved the overhead softbox back and tilted it towards the bottle. Used larger white foam core panels to bounce the light and a couple of black ones to eliminate some unwanted reflections from stuff on the walls. Small piece of foil tape to the back of the glass to highlight the label. Pushed the background back a far as possible. Used a 60mm 2.8 macro lens, ISO 100.
Nice image but that old crate IMHO spoils the image.

Reply
Feb 21, 2019 19:30:26   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
PixelStan77 wrote:
Nice image but that old crate IMHO spoils the image.


Thanks for your comment. I was using a glass panel to set the bottle and glass on before changing. I'll change out the box and see how that looks. Maybe some sort of non-reflecting material.
This has been a wonderful learning experience.

--Steve

Reply
 
 
Feb 21, 2019 19:41:29   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
Steve, I like what you did here. You've managed to capture the entire cycle, from grapes to shipping, to glass. Nicely done. The wood box is more symbolic than anything else, but I kind of like it.

I'll also commend you on give recognition to your teacher. That certainly will inspire more of that exchange of knowledge.
--Bob
steve DeMott wrote:
After several more attempts. This is what I finally came up with. Only one 1600 lumans LED was used.
Added an old crate. Moved the overhead softbox back and tilted it towards the bottle. Used larger white foam core panels to bounce the light and a couple of black ones to eliminate some unwanted reflections from stuff on the walls. Small piece of foil tape to the back of the glass to highlight the label. Pushed the background back a far as possible. Used a 60mm 2.8 macro lens, ISO 100.

I'm not entirely excited about some of the reflections, especially on the glass. But, after viewing images of wine bottles and Glassware this seems to be acceptable. Maybe more/different lighting may help.

E.L.. Shapiro has been helping me with understanding how to light and compose this project and I'm very grateful for his help. Looking forward to any comments.

--Steve
After several more attempts. This is what I finall... (show quote)

Reply
Feb 21, 2019 19:50:24   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
rmalarz wrote:
Steve, I like what you did here. You've managed to capture the entire cycle, from grapes to shipping, to glass. Nicely done. The wood box is more symbolic than anything else, but I kind of like it.

I'll also commend you on give recognition to your teacher. That certainly will inspire more of that exchange of knowledge.
--Bob


Thanks for your comments. This has really been a fun project.
--Steve

Reply
Feb 21, 2019 20:01:16   #
RichardTaylor Loc: Sydney, Australia
 
Well done.

Reply
Feb 21, 2019 20:26:56   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
Excellent work.

Reply
 
 
Feb 21, 2019 23:28:02   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
RichardTaylor wrote:
Well done.


Thanks Richard

Reply
Feb 21, 2019 23:28:25   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
TriX wrote:
Excellent work.


Thanks TriX

Reply
Feb 22, 2019 06:38:37   #
ronz Loc: Florida
 
I have found I can often use a small pen light hidden behind and aimed at the label will give me just enough light on the label to make it stand out.

Reply
Feb 22, 2019 08:56:04   #
TomC. Loc: Bel Air, MD
 
steve DeMott wrote:
After several more attempts. This is what I finally came up with. Only one 1600 lumans LED was used.
Added an old crate. Moved the overhead softbox back and tilted it towards the bottle. Used larger white foam core panels to bounce the light and a couple of black ones to eliminate some unwanted reflections from stuff on the walls. Small piece of foil tape to the back of the glass to highlight the label. Pushed the background back a far as possible. Used a 60mm 2.8 macro lens, ISO 100.

I'm not entirely excited about some of the reflections, especially on the glass. But, after viewing images of wine bottles and Glassware this seems to be acceptable. Maybe more/different lighting may help.

E.L.. Shapiro has been helping me with understanding how to light and compose this project and I'm very grateful for his help. Looking forward to any comments.

--Steve
After several more attempts. This is what I finall... (show quote)


Nicely done, Steve. But is this "product" photography? "Produce" is fruits and vegetable photography. Or am I missing something here? I've seen a similar post before with the word "produce" in it and thought it was a typo. Now I see it again and I'm just wondering.

Reply
 
 
Feb 22, 2019 20:26:09   #
E.L.. Shapiro Loc: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
 
Good Job!

I just did a little bit of post processing.

The "old crate*" added a nice texture- the rough crate wood against the smooth bottle and glass- and it added to the ambience and theme. I emphasized the label a bit and subdued some of the hot spots on the bottle. Added a bit of color to the wine and darkened the background and the props. I got rid of the "soda" marking on the crate. On one version I carried some of the red color into the background and frame...

I think you're ready for the next project. What do you think!

*Who said "old crate"- stop making fun of my car- it's a 2009 Saturn!


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Reply
Feb 22, 2019 23:16:35   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
TomC. wrote:
Nicely done, Steve. But is this "product" photography? "Produce" is fruits and vegetable photography. Or am I missing something here? I've seen a similar post before with the word "produce" in it and thought it was a typo. Now I see it again and I'm just wondering.


Tom
Yep your right it was a typo the first time. I thought I changed it the 2nd time but........
Anyway, thanks for your comment.

Reply
Feb 23, 2019 00:25:52   #
TomC. Loc: Bel Air, MD
 
steve DeMott wrote:
Tom
Yep your right it was a typo the first time. I thought I changed it the 2nd time but........
Anyway, thanks for your comment.



Reply
Feb 25, 2019 16:24:01   #
Steve DeMott Loc: St. Louis, Missouri (Oakville area)
 
E.L.. Shapiro wrote:
Good Job!

I just did a little bit of post processing.

The "old crate*" added a nice texture- the rough crate wood against the smooth bottle and glass- and it added to the ambience and theme. I emphasized the label a bit and subdued some of the hot spots on the bottle. Added a bit of color to the wine and darkened the background and the props. I got rid of the "soda" marking on the crate. On one version I carried some of the red color into the background and frame...

I think you're ready for the next project. What do you think!

*Who said "old crate"- stop making fun of my car- it's a 2009 Saturn!
Good Job! br br I just did a little bit of post ... (show quote)


Yep. Your right. Any suggestions what to try next?

I really liked this project and probably learned more about lighting doing this then reading books the last couple of years. I'll keep playing with this trying different techniques with lights, reflectors and speedlights.

Again a big THANK YOU for your time & help.

--Steve

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Commercial and Industrial Photography
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.