Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Can you say media hypocrisy?
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
Jul 27, 2018 10:11:40   #
Huey Driver (a regular here)
 
Can you say media hypocrisy?

Can You Say Media Hypocrisy!

2,700,000 kids have a parent in prison.

400,000 kids are in foster care.

And 765,000 kids are separated from their military parents not knowing if they’ll see them again.

But the media focuses on 2,000 kids who are temporarily separated from illegal immigrants.

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:13:00   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:14:03   #
Nancysc
 
And this has what to do with photography?

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:15:03   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Nancysc wrote:
And this has what to do with photography?


General chit-chat category - okay here.....

General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:23:35   #
DaveO (a regular here)
 
I didn't realize that we had that many parents in combat zones. Probably because that statistic is erroneous by several hundred thousand.

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:25:55   #
Tex-s (a regular here)
 
Huey Driver wrote:
Can you say media hypocrisy?

Can You Say Media Hypocrisy!

2,700,000 kids have a parent in prison.

400,000 kids are in foster care.

And 765,000 kids are separated from their military parents not knowing if they’ll see them again.

But the media focuses on 2,000 kids who are temporarily separated from illegal immigrants.


How DARE you muddy the propaganda waters with logic or, **gasp**, facts?

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:28:21   #
Burtzy
 
The first three categories are sad, but legal and in the case of veterans, a choice made by themselves. The last category is illegal governmental over-reach. That's not media hypocrisy. The media cannot do anything about the first three categories. But they can sure blow the whistle on the last one. And yes, this discussion is in the wrong place. But as long as it is here, the question must be answered.

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:32:25   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Burtzy wrote:
The first three categories are sad, but legal and in the case of veterans, a choice made by themselves. The last category is illegal governmental over-reach. That's not media hypocrisy. The media cannot do anything about the first three categories. But they can sure blow the whistle on the last one. And yes, this discussion is in the wrong place. But as long as it is here, the question must be answered.


If this is the wrong place "General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)", what is?

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:35:59   #
wkillham
 
Burtzy wrote:
The first three categories are sad, but legal and in the case of veterans, a choice made by themselves. The last category is illegal governmental over-reach. That's not media hypocrisy. The media cannot do anything about the first three categories. But they can sure blow the whistle on the last one. And yes, this discussion is in the wrong place. But as long as it is here, the question must be answered.


How is the last category illegal? Show me a single example, here or anywhere in the world that children are allowed to go to jail with their parent.

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:40:03   #
Tex-s (a regular here)
 
Burtzy wrote:
The first three categories are sad, but legal and in the case of veterans, a choice made by themselves. The last category is illegal governmental over-reach. That's not media hypocrisy. The media cannot do anything about the first three categories. But they can sure blow the whistle on the last one. And yes, this discussion is in the wrong place. But as long as it is here, the question must be answered.


You are aware, I assume, that the newly famous 'kids in cages' photo that has been at the fore of this new media blitz was taken in 2014, during the Obama administration?

If this story were actually a crisis of conscience, would it not make sense to wait less than 4 years to take up the fight? And while I'm asking about immigration action, or inaction, how is it that the Democrats have spent most of the last 16 years claiming immigration reform is a priority, but for two years, from 2008-2010, with the Presidency, and majorities in both Houses, did NOTHING? (Answer: It's a political weapon to complain and vilify, and it's politically neutering to not have a soapbox.)



| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:42:25   #
Huey Driver (a regular here)
 
Nancysc wrote:
And this has what to do with photography?


I thought I had put it in the general chit chat section (non-photography)

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:43:50   #
Longshadow (a regular here)
 
Huey Driver wrote:
I thought I had put it in the general chit chat section (non-photography)


That is where it is currently living....
(It was 4 minutes after you posted.)

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:47:18   #
DaveO (a regular here)
 
Tex-s wrote:
You are aware, I assume, that the newly famous 'kids in cages' photo that has been at the fore of this new media blitz was taken in 2014, during the Obama administration?

If this story were actually a crisis of conscience, would it not make sense to wait less than 4 years to take up the fight? And while I'm asking about immigration action, or inaction, how is it that the Democrats have spent most of the last 16 years claiming immigration reform is a priority, but for two years, from 2008-2010, with the Presidency, and majorities in both Houses, did NOTHING? (Answer: It's a political weapon to complain and vilify, and it's politically neutering to not have a soapbox.)
You are aware, I assume, that the newly famous 'ki... (show quote)


The famous "what about Obama" defense.

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:47:49   #
DaveO (a regular here)
 
Huey Driver wrote:
I thought I had put it in the general chit chat section (non-photography)


Yet another thread destined to be moved to the Attic. LOL!

| Reply
Jul 27, 2018 10:51:08   #
David Lyon
 
Military families get overlooked all of the time. As a Navy Brat, I knew more what ship what Dad was on vs who Dad was in my early years, during Vietnam. At that time, WestPacs were 11 months long.

As a Navy retiree, I saw deployments shorten, and families still struggling with a parent being gone.

The media does not pay attention I believe largely because for over 40 years, the military has been voluntary. Granted, Homecomings get good reviews but not the issues of the separation, low pay and constant moves that makes raising kids in the military a challenge most people will never know.

That being said, media goes with what will bring in ratings. Think back at the week Micheal Jackson died. How much news did you hear outside the Pop world that week?

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.