Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Black and White Photography
Bryce Canyon
Nov 20, 2022 17:46:30   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
Playing around here--it almost seems sacrilegious to do a black and white of such a beautiful place.

This was taken in the fall of 2017. Looking at it now, it doesn’t seem to have as much pop as I thought it would. Oh, well.


(Download)

Reply
Nov 20, 2022 18:17:59   #
Architect1776 Loc: In my mind
 
jaymatt wrote:
Playing around here--it almost seems sacrilegious to do a black and white of such a beautiful place.

This was taken in the fall of 2017. Looking at it now, it doesn’t seem to have as much pop as I thought it would. Oh, well.



Reply
Nov 20, 2022 18:51:30   #
Burkley Loc: Park City
 
Nice photo. I love black and white. B&W of Bryce is difficult because of a lack of contrasts. The color variation is all within red tones, shadows and some limestone dust at the rim. On canyon trails below the rim there are beautiful ponderosa pines climbing skyward and striated pillars and canyon walls that seem better suited to my skill level for B&W. Bryce has such spectacular colors I never thought about B&W though. I’ll have to consider putting some shots in the Nik silver tone filters and see what comes of it. Thanks.

Reply
 
 
Nov 20, 2022 18:57:07   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
Architect1776 wrote:


Thanks!

Reply
Nov 20, 2022 18:59:24   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
Burkley wrote:
Nice photo. I love black and white. B&W of Bryce is difficult because of a lack of contrasts. The color variation is all within red tones, shadows and some limestone dust at the rim. On canyon trails below the rim there are beautiful ponderosa pines climbing skyward and striated pillars and canyon walls that seem better suited to my skill level for B&W. Bryce has such spectacular colors I never thought about B&W though. I’ll have to consider putting some shots in the Nik silver tone filters and see what comes of it. Thanks.
Nice photo. I love black and white. B&W of Bry... (show quote)


I agree. I also am thinking about putting some into Nik. I have used it a lot with my barn photos.

Reply
Nov 20, 2022 22:42:54   #
GPS Phil Loc: Dayton Ohio
 
Well composed John, I'm sure the color version is beautiful! How ever, I love this B&W!

Phil

Reply
Nov 20, 2022 23:33:43   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
GPS Phil wrote:
Well composed John, I'm sure the color version is beautiful! How ever, I love this B&W!

Phil


Thanks, Phil.

Reply
 
 
Nov 21, 2022 06:18:09   #
John N Loc: HP14 3QF Stokenchurch, UK
 
From the one visit I made there I think Ansel Adams would have difficulty getting a top notch monochrome in Bryce.

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 07:00:33   #
yssirk123 Loc: New Jersey
 

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 08:03:21   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
John N wrote:
From the one visit I made there I think Ansel Adams would have difficulty getting a top notch monochrome in Bryce.


I must agree with that!

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 08:03:41   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
yssirk123 wrote:


Thanks for the thumbs, Bill.

Reply
 
 
Nov 21, 2022 10:36:50   #
Rab-Eye Loc: Indiana
 
Stunning, John.

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 10:53:21   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
Rab-Eye wrote:
Stunning, John.


Thanks, Ben.

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 18:31:26   #
PAR4DCR Loc: A Sunny Place
 
Try adding some contrast to it John.

Don

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Black and White Photography
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.