Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Links and Resources
Should you get your FAA Part 107 Certificate? ...12 Benefits to Consider
Page 1 of 2 next>
Sep 11, 2022 15:33:00   #
Racmanaz Loc: Anywhere away from Lunatic Lefties
 
Good information for those that are interested in making money with drone photography or Videography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap96R6uZ_yE

Reply
Sep 11, 2022 16:36:12   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
Making money is the minor part. According to the FAA, if you operate a drone for anything other than selfish recreation, you need the 107 certificate. Even if you are only operating a drone for fun, like a model airplane, you still need a certificate that the FAA calls "TRUST".

In other words, the FAA says you need one of their two certificates to operate a drone. No exceptions.

But, there is a problem. The FAA is failing to reach their target! Based on sales numbers and other estimates, the FAA is getting compliance from about 15% of the USA citizens that own or are buying drones. The other 85% either don't know, don't care or are not interested.

Reply
Sep 11, 2022 16:45:38   #
Racmanaz Loc: Anywhere away from Lunatic Lefties
 
bsprague wrote:
Making money is the minor part. According to the FAA, if you operate a drone for anything other than selfish recreation, you need the 107 certificate. Even if you are only operating a drone for fun, like a model airplane, you still need a certificate that the FAA calls "TRUST".

In other words, the FAA says you need one of their two certificates to operate a drone. No exceptions.

But, there is a problem. The FAA is failing to reach their target! Based on sales numbers and other estimates, the FAA is getting compliance from about 15% of the USA citizens that own or are buying drones. The other 85% either don't know, don't care or are not interested.
Making money is the minor part. According to the ... (show quote)


Very good points bsprague, Thanks.

Reply
 
 
Sep 11, 2022 18:59:38   #
DaveO Loc: Northeast CT
 
Reminds me of the proliferation of CB radios in the mid seventies.

Reply
Sep 11, 2022 19:05:28   #
Racmanaz Loc: Anywhere away from Lunatic Lefties
 
DaveO wrote:
Reminds me of the proliferation of CB radios in the mid seventies.


Ha ha my CB handle was Kilroy back in the 1980's.

Reply
Sep 11, 2022 19:39:37   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
Racmanaz wrote:
Very good points bsprague, Thanks.


I would like to see the FAA succeed. Otherwise we may head toward an unorganized chaos.

Related to the video you offered, I took the course from the guy in the blue shirt and passed my 107 with a 92%. I'm old now and started with my first FAA certificate when I was 20 years old. I added several after that and have about 5000 flight hours.

In other words, I've had a relationship with the FAA for about 50 years. I've not seen them screw up this bad ever.

Reply
Sep 11, 2022 19:47:24   #
Racmanaz Loc: Anywhere away from Lunatic Lefties
 
bsprague wrote:
I would like to see the FAA succeed. Otherwise we may head toward an unorganized chaos.

Related to the video you offered, I took the course from the guy in the blue shirt and passed my 107 with a 92%. I'm old now and started with my first FAA certificate when I was 20 years old. I added several after that and have about 5000 flight hours.

In other words, I've had a relationship with the FAA for about 50 years. I've not seen them screw up this bad ever.


I'm 80% to completion with the Pilot Institute course. Just taking my time learning all that is needed, so much information to digest. I wish the FAA required all drone operators to have the 107 certification.

Reply
 
 
Sep 11, 2022 20:12:17   #
bsprague Loc: Lacey, WA, USA
 
The FAA DOES require every drone operator to have at least a TRUST certificate or a 107 certificate. If you are 80% through the course, you know that the recreational exception is so narrow, the the effect is requiring the 107 if you want to do anything but fly around in circles in your back yard.


The problem is that the FAA can't see a way to attract drone owners. They could make the 107 a fun exercise of learning relevant, useful drone knowledge. Instead they think they have the clout to force you through a painful exercise of learning obtuse stuff that airplane pilots might need. 85% are repelled and disgusted. Just one example is what they expect you to know about weather. Your battery lasts 30 minutes. You look out the window. If it is bad out, the drone stays in the box. You don't need to know all the types of fog, how thunderstorms develop, long forecast planning or how to read cryptic weather reports left over from teletype days.

Reply
Sep 11, 2022 20:24:46   #
DaveO Loc: Northeast CT
 
Racmanaz wrote:
Ha ha my CB handle was Kilroy back in the 1980's.


Dreamer.

Reply
Sep 11, 2022 20:38:50   #
Racmanaz Loc: Anywhere away from Lunatic Lefties
 
DaveO wrote:
Dreamer.


Hey! I was a Styx fan. 😬

Reply
Sep 12, 2022 06:16:43   #
DaveO Loc: Northeast CT
 
Racmanaz wrote:
Hey! I was a Styx fan. 😬


Funny that it seems like eons ago. Perhaps we used to be young!

Reply
 
 
Sep 12, 2022 09:16:07   #
davidrb Loc: Hangar i13
 
bsprague wrote:
Making money is the minor part. According to the FAA, if you operate a drone for anything other than selfish recreation, you need the 107 certificate. Even if you are only operating a drone for fun, like a model airplane, you still need a certificate that the FAA calls "TRUST".

In other words, the FAA says you need one of their two certificates to operate a drone. No exceptions.

But, there is a problem. The FAA is failing to reach their target! Based on sales numbers and other estimates, the FAA is getting compliance from about 15% of the USA citizens that own or are buying drones. The other 85% either don't know, don't care or are not interested.
Making money is the minor part. According to the ... (show quote)


Remember the days of CB radios? An FCC license was required (mere formality that was terminated) but very few ever got one. This "Free Ride" could become very expensive if caught without a certificate. The adage that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission definitely does NOT apply to our Federal Govt. The FAA has a big brother to do it's dirty work. Maybe you've heard of the IRS? That organization began it's existence out of control and has gotten worse with time. And, .....it NEVER loses!

Reply
Sep 12, 2022 09:47:13   #
DaveO Loc: Northeast CT
 
davidrb wrote:
Remember the days of CB radios? An FCC license was required (mere formality that was terminated) but very few ever got one. This "Free Ride" could become very expensive if caught without a certificate. The adage that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission definitely does NOT apply to our Federal Govt. The FAA has a big brother to do it's dirty work. Maybe you've heard of the IRS? That organization began it's existence out of control and has gotten worse with time. And, .....it NEVER loses!
Remember the days of CB radios? An FCC license wa... (show quote)


Follow the thread much?

Reply
Sep 12, 2022 10:42:20   #
Picture Taker Loc: Michigan Thumb
 
If you don't know and follow the FAA rules and your less likely to get in trouble.

Reply
Sep 12, 2022 12:59:51   #
alexol
 
bsprague wrote:
The FAA DOES require every drone operator to have at least a TRUST certificate or a 107 certificate. If you are 80% through the course, you know that the recreational exception is so narrow, the the effect is requiring the 107 if you want to do anything but fly around in circles in your back yard.


The problem is that the FAA can't see a way to attract drone owners. They could make the 107 a fun exercise of learning relevant, useful drone knowledge. Instead they think they have the clout to force you through a painful exercise of learning obtuse stuff that airplane pilots might need. 85% are repelled and disgusted. Just one example is what they expect you to know about weather. Your battery lasts 30 minutes. You look out the window. If it is bad out, the drone stays in the box. You don't need to know all the types of fog, how thunderstorms develop, long forecast planning or how to read cryptic weather reports left over from teletype days.
The FAA DOES require every drone operator to have ... (show quote)



Agreed 100%. The FAA seems to be intent on making a mess of this and there are now so many odd laws around the country with respect to drones.

There's even a court in Louisiana, not far from here that is effectively trying to usurp FAA authority with respect to air control, primarily due to some guy flying over a cops house and the cop, being friends with the judge managed to get put in place an order & set of restrictions which looks like it may end up in SCOTUS.

I have my 107 and the TRUST but what a mess... The thundercloud example is perfect - while my drone has a flight time capability of around 30 minutes or so, there is no way whatever that thundercloud formation at 50,000ft is even remotely relevant. The list is irrelevancies is almost as long as the FAA rule book.

As is so often the case, the issue is enforcement of rules and regulations. To all intents and purposes, you can earn money with your drone with nor license or certificate at all (technically illegally) and for 99% of the time there will be no repercussions whatever - and this is what is killing small drone businesses - right up to the point that someone when hit by a drone piloted by some unlicensed (and therefor uninsured) individual in a working environment.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Links and Resources
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.