Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
LastPass Alert
Aug 5, 2022 10:41:57   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
I hate getting vague messages like this. It's like Windows telling me, "Something went wrong."

Credit Monitoring Alert!
Hi

LastPass has detected a change in your personal information, a suspicious transaction, or a cyber alert.


So, it could be any one of those three things. I bought a ukulele from overseas, and the CC bank emailed me to make sure it was legit. Maybe that's what it's all about. LastPass gives no details, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Reply
Aug 5, 2022 11:34:35   #
Bayou
 
LastPass has no idea what your CC activity is, nor what's in your emails. It's just a password database. It's probably a phishing scam designed to get you to hit a malicious link and give up your LastPass master password.

Reply
Aug 5, 2022 13:54:04   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Bayou wrote:
LastPass has no idea what your CC activity is, nor what's in your emails. It's just a password database. It's probably a phishing scam designed to get you to hit a malicious link and give up your LastPass master password.


No, I've seen this before. I don't know how they know, but If I apply for a credit card, they'll send me a notice that someone has checked my credit report.

Reply
 
 
Aug 6, 2022 09:38:39   #
Bayou
 
jerryc41 wrote:
No, I've seen this before. I don't know how they know, but If I apply for a credit card, they'll send me a notice that someone has checked my credit report.


If you have the Premium (pay) version, LastPass has a feature called "Dark Web Monitoring". Maybe your experience is related to that. Sounds creepy to me...and yet another security risk.

Reply
Aug 6, 2022 10:05:48   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Bayou wrote:
If you have the Premium (pay) version, LastPass has a feature called "Dark Web Monitoring". Maybe your experience is related to that. Sounds creepy to me...and yet another security risk.


Security risks are a part of life - like it or not. There is no safety. When major corporations and governments can be hacked, how can an individual prevent it?

Reply
Aug 6, 2022 12:49:07   #
Bayou
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Security risks are a part of life - like it or not. There is no safety. When major corporations and governments can be hacked, how can an individual prevent it?


With proper password practices. Nearly all hacks are caused by sloppy password practices, even at gov and corporate levels...individuals doing dumb things.

Reply
Aug 6, 2022 14:13:45   #
KillroyII Loc: Middle Georgia
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I hate getting vague messages like this. It's like Windows telling me, "Something went wrong."

Credit Monitoring Alert!
Hi

LastPass has detected a change in your personal information, a suspicious transaction, or a cyber alert.


So, it could be any one of those three things. I bought a ukulele from overseas, and the CC bank emailed me to make sure it was legit. Maybe that's what it's all about. LastPass gives no details, so I'm not going to worry about it.
I hate getting vague messages like this. It's lik... (show quote)



PayPal (well pretending to be PayPal) sends me 1 or 2 e-mails a day telling me about large purchases and if I don’t want the charge to contact them immediately. Since I don’t have a PayPal account… I think I am safe.

Several banks, which I don’t have an account, keep e-mailing me about fraudulent activity that I need to log in and sort out

They are all so helpful

Reply
 
 
Aug 6, 2022 14:45:50   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I hate getting vague messages like this. It's like Windows telling me, "Something went wrong."



Once in the early days of the IBM 360, I received a message that consisted of nothing but the message number. I looked up the number in the "Messages ans Codes" manual and found, "Something happened that should not have."

Reply
Aug 7, 2022 10:03:54   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
TheShoe wrote:
Once in the early days of the IBM 360, I received a message that consisted of nothing but the message number. I looked up the number in the "Messages ans Codes" manual and found, "Something happened that should not have."


That's a great message. I can see a newscaster beginning his presentation with that.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.