Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Members Buy/Sell/Trade -- Classifieds
Apple iMac Pro
Page 1 of 2 next>
Aug 3, 2022 11:14:57   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
I just upgraded to an Apple Studio and have my previous iMac PRO for sale. It's a 2017 model running the latest ios, Monterey 12.5. it has a 3.2 Ghz 8 core Intel xenon W processor with 32 GB of DDR 4 memory, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics card and a 1 TB ssd. It was $ 5,000 new and I am asking $ 2,000 (OBO) plus shipping. (any payment fees will be added). 27" 5k monitor. Your chance to get a great machine at a great price. Please PM.

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 11:21:22   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
cjc2 wrote:
I just upgraded to an Apple Studio and have my previous iMac PRO for sale. It's a 2017 model running the latest ios, Monterey 12.5. it has a 3.2 Ghz 8 core Intel xenon W processor with 32 GB of DDR 4 memory, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics card and a 1 TB ssd. It was $ 5,000 new and I am asking $ 2,000 (OBO) plus shipping. (any payment fees will be added). 27" 5k monitor. Your chance to get a great machine at a great price. Please PM.


Kind of low on memory, no?

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 11:49:56   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
Fotoartist wrote:
Kind of low on memory, no?


NO, Lr requires 8, best with 12, so 32 GB is WAY OVER THAT! Pretty snappy machine, but my new Studio is even better due to the additional cores.

Reply
 
 
Aug 3, 2022 12:08:15   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
Fotoartist wrote:
Kind of low on memory, no?


A good rule of thumb for Intel Macs is to take whatever amount of memory you would buy for Windows and reduce it by a third to a half. YES, it's the same RAM, but the difference is in how MacOS uses swap memory. For years, Macs have required less RAM than Windows PCs. (If you ran Windows on an Intel Mac, you played by Windows RAM management rules and bought more, whether virtualizing Windows or running it with Boot Camp. Boot Camp was Apple's way of adding device drivers to Windows so it could run in a separate, native partition on the Mac startup drive.)

In the Apple Silicon (M1, M2, and their variations) systems on chips, memory is faster, ON DIE with the CPU/GPU/NPU/etc., the system bus is wider, and memory is shared among all the various CPU, GPU, NPU, and special video processor cores. Swapping takes advantage of bus speeds up to 800 gigabytes per second in the top models.

What Apple have done is to apply all they have learned since 2010 about RISC chip designs and low power ARM processors in their iPods, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV, and Apple Watch, to the Mac. It's been a huge leap forward for them. Now we're watching the industry scramble to switch gears from x86 to something new.

All that said, here is an interesting test video comparing the 16GB M2 MacBook Pro with the 24GB MacBook Pro for performance with top productivity applications. Spoiler — sometimes it matters a little, sometimes not.

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 19:25:00   #
TriX Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
32 GB is a gracious plenty (even for a Windows machine in most case)

Reply
Aug 3, 2022 21:37:52   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
I hate to interrupt all you gentlemen, and thanks for your info, but, does anyone want to buy this computer??

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 08:24:00   #
leftj Loc: Texas
 
Fotoartist wrote:
Kind of low on memory, no?


32GB is enough for most people. Certainly for me.

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 08:40:00   #
Jack47 Loc: Ontario
 
cjc2 wrote:
I hate to interrupt all you gentlemen, and thanks for your info, but, does anyone want to buy this computer??


They do tend to take over, don’t they?

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 08:57:52   #
whfowle Loc: Tampa first, now Albuquerque
 
Does anyone know how many more MacOS's the iMac Pro will support? My i7 4 core iMac has toppped out and will not accept Monterey. I'm undecided at the moment whether to get the Pro or wait for the M2 iMac in 2024.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 10:50:05   #
Fotoartist Loc: Detroit, Michigan
 
burkphoto wrote:
A good rule of thumb for Intel Macs is to take whatever amount of memory you would buy for Windows and reduce it by a third to a half. YES, it's the same RAM, but the difference is in how MacOS uses swap memory. For years, Macs have required less RAM than Windows PCs. (If you ran Windows on an Intel Mac, you played by Windows RAM management rules and bought more, whether virtualizing Windows or running it with Boot Camp. Boot Camp was Apple's way of adding device drivers to Windows so it could run in a separate, native partition on the Mac startup drive.)

In the Apple Silicon (M1, M2, and their variations) systems on chips, memory is faster, ON DIE with the CPU/GPU/NPU/etc., the system bus is wider, and memory is shared among all the various CPU, GPU, NPU, and special video processor cores. Swapping takes advantage of bus speeds up to 800 gigabytes per second in the top models.

What Apple have done is to apply all they have learned since 2010 about RISC chip designs and low power ARM processors in their iPods, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV, and Apple Watch, to the Mac. It's been a huge leap forward for them. Now we're watching the industry scramble to switch gears from x86 to something new.

All that said, here is an interesting test video comparing the 16GB M2 MacBook Pro with the 24GB MacBook Pro for performance with top productivity applications. Spoiler — sometimes it matters a little, sometimes not.
A good rule of thumb for Intel Macs is to take wha... (show quote)


OK. I will accept the 32GB Ram for still photos, but for video too?

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 11:15:52   #
cjc2 Loc: Hellertown PA
 
Fotoartist wrote:
OK. I will accept the 32GB Ram for still photos, but for video too?


Please, do me a favor. This is a SALE of a computer, not a discussion on whether or not there is enough ram. If you don't intend to purchase this item, I would appreciate you stopping your inquires and debates on whether or not this would be good for you. As a professional sports photographer I can state that this system was wonderful for still, and short video work. If you want an answer on full length video, go to the software package you want to run and see what the minimum requirements are. I will state that for Lightroom & Photoshop, this system worked very well and that the Studio is basically the latest version. This is NOT A DISCUSSION, it is a SALE! Best of luck.

Reply
 
 
Aug 4, 2022 14:16:21   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
I would like to purchase it but would need a few months to save up the money.
--Bob
cjc2 wrote:
I hate to interrupt all you gentlemen, and thanks for your info, but, does anyone want to buy this computer??

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 16:13:16   #
hj Loc: Florida
 

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 16:43:08   #
leftj Loc: Texas
 
cjc2 wrote:
Please, do me a favor. This is a SALE of a computer, not a discussion on whether or not there is enough ram. If you don't intend to purchase this item, I would appreciate you stopping your inquires and debates on whether or not this would be good for you. As a professional sports photographer I can state that this system was wonderful for still, and short video work. If you want an answer on full length video, go to the software package you want to run and see what the minimum requirements are. I will state that for Lightroom & Photoshop, this system worked very well and that the Studio is basically the latest version. This is NOT A DISCUSSION, it is a SALE! Best of luck.
Please, do me a favor. This is a SALE of a comput... (show quote)


Hey, lighten up. Let the humor flow. If there is a serious buyer with the money they will not be deterred.

Reply
Aug 4, 2022 16:53:53   #
Ava'sPapa Loc: Cheshire, Ct.
 
cjc2 wrote:
Please, do me a favor. This is a SALE of a computer, not a discussion on whether or not there is enough ram. If you don't intend to purchase this item, I would appreciate you stopping your inquires and debates on whether or not this would be good for you. As a professional sports photographer I can state that this system was wonderful for still, and short video work. If you want an answer on full length video, go to the software package you want to run and see what the minimum requirements are. I will state that for Lightroom & Photoshop, this system worked very well and that the Studio is basically the latest version. This is NOT A DISCUSSION, it is a SALE! Best of luck.
Please, do me a favor. This is a SALE of a comput... (show quote)


I have to agree with you. You don't need the negativity that you're encountering with trying to sell your computer. It might only take that one negative comment to mess up a deal with possibly the one person considering purchasing your computer. Might I recommend that you rewrite your ad and ask for any interested party to contact you via PM. Good luck.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Members Buy/Sell/Trade -- Classifieds
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.