Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Gallery
Post-processing challenge
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jun 23, 2022 07:15:54   #
Celtis87
 
I’ve been asked to fix a picture, taken by my son-in-law, of my daughter and my grandson. He took a fun pic on his iPhone 13 Pro Max, but got his finger partially over the lens, covering part of my grandson’s hair, which was hanging down. Any suggestions on the best way to get the finger out and keep the hair, without making it look like a bad hairpiece? I included the pic in question, so you could see what I mean. My skills are limited on post-processing and my attempts so far have been less than satisfactory. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.



Reply
Jun 23, 2022 07:32:41   #
JimmyTB
 
My post processing skills are probably even less than yours. However, if there is anything that can be done I would recommend posting in the section "Post-Processing Digital Images".
And be sure to click "Store Original" before submitting. Someone there can surely help you and may even do it for you while telling you how they did it.
Best of luck.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 07:41:10   #
lesdmd Loc: Middleton Wi via N.Y.C. & Cleveland
 
In Photoshop the clone tool can remove much of the finger and replace it with the blanket(?). The hair will be more difficult. There are no great sections of the little guys hair to borrow from. There are “hair brushes” with which you can paint in hair strands. This will be an advanced project. The skills involved take a while to develop and the process takes some time.

Reply
 
 
Jun 23, 2022 07:48:27   #
Celtis87
 
JimmyTB wrote:
My post processing skills are probably even less than yours. However, if there is anything that can be done I would recommend posting in the section "Post-Processing Digital Images".
And be sure to click "Store Original" before submitting. Someone there can surely help you and may even do it for you while telling you how they did it.
Best of luck.

Thanks. I will try that.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 07:49:32   #
Celtis87
 
lesdmd wrote:
In Photoshop the clone tool can remove much of the finger and replace it with the blanket(?). The hair will be more difficult. There are no great sections of the little guys hair to borrow from. There are “hair brushes” with which you can paint in hair strands. This will be an advanced project. The skills involved take a while to develop and the process takes some time.

Thanks. I was hoping for a miracle tip, but there may not be one.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 08:40:40   #
RJW Loc: Oregon
 
Here's my shot at it. RJW



Reply
Jun 23, 2022 08:46:11   #
Celtis87
 
RJW wrote:
Here's my shot at it. RJW


Wow! Can you tell me how or at least what software you used? This terrific.

Reply
 
 
Jun 23, 2022 09:12:49   #
RJW Loc: Oregon
 
Pixelmator Pro Healing Brush and Clone. Luminar NEO to brighten faces, Nik Analogue Pro2 for a little extra Bokeh. Here's a further adjusted version. Enjoy ! RJW


(Download)

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 09:14:30   #
lesdmd Loc: Middleton Wi via N.Y.C. & Cleveland
 
Celtis87 wrote:
Wow! Can you tell me how or at least what software you used? This terrific.


Terrific is in the eyes of the beholder. Yes, it is a tremendous improvement; but to me the hair looks very artificial…pasted on. That is why I mentioned that would be the most difficult aspect. If it acceptable to you, great.
I mention this, not to criticize, but rather to encourage really critical viewing of images; and to develop an appreciation of what can be accomplished.
The software: Photoshop certainly; but any product that can do cloning.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 09:24:24   #
Celtis87
 
lesdmd wrote:
Terrific is in the eyes of the beholder. Yes, it is a tremendous improvement; but to me the hair looks very artificial…pasted on. That is why I mentioned that would be the most difficult aspect. If it acceptable to you, great.
I mention this, not to criticize, but rather to encourage really critical viewing of images; and to develop an appreciation of what can be accomplished.
The software: Photoshop certainly; but any product that can do cloning.

Thanks.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 09:26:12   #
Celtis87
 
RJW wrote:
Pixelmator Pro Healing Brush and Clone. Luminar NEO to brighten faces, Nik Analogue Pro2 for a little extra Bokeh. Here's a further adjusted version. Enjoy ! RJW


Thank you so much. I don’t have any of the software you used. I will try and see if I can get close with the software I have. I really appreciate your efforts here.

Reply
 
 
Jun 23, 2022 09:52:55   #
RJW Loc: Oregon
 
To LESDMD, the hair was the effect by the healing brush and could be touched up further. This was just a quick fix. More time and small detailed healing and cloning could provide a better outcome but that is not for me to do. This redo was just provided to show the possibilities of repair and not a "professional" repair job. Celtis87, you're welcome and I wish you good success in your edit! RJW

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 10:06:29   #
lesdmd Loc: Middleton Wi via N.Y.C. & Cleveland
 
RJW wrote:
To LESDMD, the hair was the effect by the healing brush and could be touched up further. This was just a quick fix. More time and small detailed healing and cloning could provide a better outcome but that is not for me to do. This redo was just provided to show the possibilities of repair and not a "professional" repair job. Celtis87, you're welcome and I wish you good success in your edit! RJW


You managed to take my comment personally. It was addressed to the owner of the original photo who seems to have limited appreciation of what a "professional" repair job can do.
You are indeed correct, it is not your job to carry the post processing to that extent. You did a fine job of demonstrating what a quick fix can accomplish.

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 11:24:49   #
Celtis87
 
RJW wrote:
To LESDMD, the hair was the effect by the healing brush and could be touched up further. This was just a quick fix. More time and small detailed healing and cloning could provide a better outcome but that is not for me to do. This redo was just provided to show the possibilities of repair and not a "professional" repair job. Celtis87, you're welcome and I wish you good success in your edit! RJW


👍🏻

Reply
Jun 23, 2022 11:31:26   #
Celtis87
 
lesdmd wrote:
You managed to take my comment personally. It was addressed to the owner of the original photo who seems to have limited appreciation of what a "professional" repair job can do.
You are indeed correct, it is not your job to carry the post processing to that extent. You did a fine job of demonstrating what a quick fix can accomplish.

You don't know me and your assessment of my “limited appreciation” is unnecessarily insulting. I wasn’t looking for a professional repair job, just some guidance. I was simply thanking someone for going beyond my expectations and helping me tremendously. Please do me a favor and ignore my posts in the future so you can avoid my ‘limited appreciation’ .

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Gallery
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.