Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
White area across bottom of photo?
Page 1 of 7 next> last>>
Jun 22, 2022 08:28:06   #
mvetrano2 Loc: Commack, NY
 
These pictures were taken yesterday with my Canon 70D, and a white area started to appear at the bottom of each photo. What could be causing this? The camera is well used, but this just started happening. It is not the lens because two different lenses were used for the first photo and the others. It is not the card, because I used two differnt cards as well. Could the issue be a shutter problem, has anyone seen this occurrance before, and if so how do I correct it?


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 08:58:49   #
richardsaccount
 
Maybe one of the shutter blades is hanging up?. The bottom one?
Just a guess. Good luck.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:02:06   #
mvetrano2 Loc: Commack, NY
 
richardsaccount wrote:
Maybe one of the shutter blades is hanging up?. The bottom one?
Just a guess. Good luck.


If that is the case, how do I fix it?

Reply
 
 
Jun 22, 2022 09:06:41   #
r1ch Loc: Colorado
 
mvetrano2 wrote:
These pictures were taken yesterday with my Canon 70D, and a white area started to appear at the bottom of each photo. What could be causing this? The camera is well used, but this just started happening. It is not the lens because two different lenses were used for the first photo and the others. It is not the card, because I used two differnt cards as well. Could the issue be a shutter problem, has anyone seen this occurrance before, and if so how do I correct it?


Looks like it could be a sensor or shutter problem. I would try these things. Can you change the aspect ratio of your images in the camera? Does it happen when taking a video? Try using the flash and see if it still happens.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:12:53   #
E.L.. Shapiro Loc: Ottawa, Ontario Canada
 
Probably a sensor issue. If it were the shutter the band would be black. Part of the image is still noticeable through the white interference.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:21:22   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
E.L.. Shapiro wrote:
Probably a sensor issue. If it were the shutter the band would be black. Part of the image is still noticeable through the white interference.

Odd that it is on an angle though. I would surmise that sensor problems would be rectilinear.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:27:45   #
mvetrano2 Loc: Commack, NY
 
r1ch wrote:
Looks like it could be a sensor or shutter problem. I would try these things. Can you change the aspect ratio of your images in the camera? Does it happen when taking a video? Try using the flash and see if it still happens.


It does not hppen while taking video. I will try changing the aspect ration and using fill flash.

Reply
 
 
Jun 22, 2022 09:33:38   #
mvetrano2 Loc: Commack, NY
 
E.L.. Shapiro wrote:
Probably a sensor issue. If it were the shutter the band would be black. Part of the image is still noticeable through the white interference.


How would I correct the problem if it were a sensor issue?

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:33:57   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
It's funny that the kids are so well padded and protected - except for their legs!

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:34:18   #
r1ch Loc: Colorado
 
mvetrano2 wrote:
These pictures were taken yesterday with my Canon 70D, and a white area started to appear at the bottom of each photo. What could be causing this? The camera is well used, but this just started happening. It is not the lens because two different lenses were used for the first photo and the others. It is not the card, because I used two differnt cards as well. Could the issue be a shutter problem, has anyone seen this occurrance before, and if so how do I correct it?


The reason to change aspect ratio to say 16x9 it will black out the problem part of the sensor because it will not try to read that area.
Set the Mode Dial to one of the Creative Zone modes.
Press the [ MENU ] button to display the menu screen.
Under the [ ] tab, select [Aspect ratio], then press [ ].
Select the desired aspect ratio, then press [ ] .

If you take a video, using the cameras normal aspect ratio, the shutter will be wide open and you can see if it is a sensor problem.

Shoot in live mode the shutter is wide open.

Try to overexpose or under expose the shot. Also use a long shutter speed. Put the camera to maximum frames per second which should fill up the buffer.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:35:52   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Just for the heck of it, try a different memory card. Take a look inside the camera and see if there is a little piece of white paper stuck in there. : ) Well, there could be something inside the camera.

Reply
 
 
Jun 22, 2022 09:37:02   #
r1ch Loc: Colorado
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Just for the heck of it, try a different memory card. Take a look inside the camera and see if there is a little piece of white paper stuck in there. : ) Well, there could be something inside the camera.


In his first post he said he tried a different lens and memory card.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:37:34   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Since the shutter is wide open during video (doesn't come into play) and there is no problem, kinda seems like it would be a shutter problem then.

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:37:52   #
47greyfox Loc: on the edge of the Colorado front range
 
I suspect it’s a $450+ problem repair by Canon. But probably worth the call regardless to get an opinion.
1-800-652-2666
Also, another source is a repair service I’ve used here in Colorado with success, Discount Camera Repair. Rick Riggins is the owner and does his best to keep the fix reasonably priced. Recommended. Worth a call, eves only … 719-219-6884
https://www.discountcamerarepair.com/

Reply
Jun 22, 2022 09:42:17   #
dave.speeking Loc: Brooklyn OH
 
Isn't the image projected on the sensor inverted?
Maybe the shutter is stuck and doesn't reset all the way up.

Reply
Page 1 of 7 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.