Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Photo Gallery
Focus Stacked Image of an Asian Beetle
Page 1 of 2 next>
May 27, 2022 16:52:14   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
It's that time of year again when Mother Nature performs her feats of magical transformations. This one has a bit of irony in that it is the pupa of an Asian Beetle that has secured itself to the leaf of an Asian Honeysuckle. Both the beetle and the honeysuckle are invasive species.

I staged this focus-stacking session using a 50mm enlarger lens mounted on a bellows that was extended to fill the frame of the camera with the subject. When the session was completed, the leaf and its pupa were returned to finish its magic.


(Download)

Reply
May 27, 2022 17:00:54   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 

Reply
May 27, 2022 17:15:19   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Longshadow wrote:


Longshadow, thanks for viewing.

Reply
 
 
May 27, 2022 17:24:54   #
kpmac Loc: Ragley, La
 
Excellent, sippy. Got stung on the eyebrow while mowing today. I was unable to save the specimen for you.

Reply
May 27, 2022 17:34:40   #
UTMike Loc: South Jordan, UT
 
Excellent work, Gary!

Reply
May 27, 2022 17:36:43   #
JoAnneK01 Loc: Lahaina, Hawaii
 
Great job. Mahalo for sharing.

Reply
May 27, 2022 17:40:43   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
kpmac wrote:
Excellent, sippy. Got stung on the eyebrow while mowing today. I was unable to save the specimen for you.


Kpmac, I get tagged several times by the darn wasps around the house yet I can be among them on my walkabout and they pay no attention to me.

Reply
 
 
May 27, 2022 17:41:51   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
UTMike wrote:
Excellent work, Gary!


Thanks, UTMike. I'm glad that humans don't have to go through transformations like this.

Reply
May 27, 2022 17:42:24   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
JoAnneK01 wrote:
Great job. Mahalo for sharing.


Thanks, JoAnneK01. I appreciate your stopping by.

Reply
May 28, 2022 00:15:33   #
Curmudgeon Loc: SE Arizona
 
Very nicely done as usual Sippy. I hope it is now in your collection. In ethanol maybe so it went out with a smile on its face

Reply
May 28, 2022 07:29:07   #
ecobin Loc: Paoli, PA
 
Love it!

Reply
 
 
May 28, 2022 08:48:25   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
sippyjug104 wrote:
It's that time of year again when Mother Nature performs her feats of magical transformations. This one has a bit of irony in that it is the pupa of an Asian Beetle that has secured itself to the leaf of an Asian Honeysuckle. Both the beetle and the honeysuckle are invasive species.

I staged this focus-stacking session using a 50mm enlarger lens mounted on a bellows that was extended to fill the frame of the camera with the subject. When the session was completed, the leaf and its pupa were returned to finish its magic.
It's that time of year again when Mother Nature pe... (show quote)



Reply
May 28, 2022 09:29:22   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Curmudgeon wrote:
Very nicely done as usual Sippy. I hope it is now in your collection. In ethanol maybe so it went out with a smile on its face


Thanks, Curmudgeon. I appreciate your viewing.

Reply
May 28, 2022 09:30:57   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
ecobin wrote:
Love it!


Thanks, Elliott. They are more aggressive than the red-black spotted native lady beetles.

Reply
May 28, 2022 09:31:43   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Manglesphoto wrote:


Thanks, Manglesphoto. There's a promise for warm sunny weather to return.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Photo Gallery
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.