Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Photo Viewers That Can See Keywords
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jan 14, 2022 13:00:57   #
DWU2 Loc: Phoenix Arizona area
 
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'm thinking about exporting the family photos as JPG's and giving them to my kids. One issue I've been considering is whether they will be able to see the keywords I've created for the photos, which help provide a lot of context. I've done some experiments. If I export photos from LR as JPG's, I've been able to verify that the keywords go with them. For one thing, if you view the exported photos in Windows Explorer, the keywords show up under "Tags." If you take exported photos and re-import them into LR, the keywords then show up under keywords in LR again. So, they're in the exported photos somewhere.

So, here's the question: Does anyone know of extremely easy-to-use photo viewing software, hopefully free, that will display the keywords embedded in the photos? I tried a test using Faststone Image Viewer, and while it shows metadata, it doesn't seem to display keywords.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 13:07:14   #
CHG_CANON Loc: the Windy City
 
Flickr.com

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 14:38:04   #
BigDaddy Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
 
DWU2 wrote:
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'm thinking about exporting the family photos as JPG's and giving them to my kids. One issue I've been considering is whether they will be able to see the keywords I've created for the photos, which help provide a lot of context. I've done some experiments. If I export photos from LR as JPG's, I've been able to verify that the keywords go with them. For one thing, if you view the exported photos in Windows Explorer, the keywords show up under "Tags." If you take exported photos and re-import them into LR, the keywords then show up under keywords in LR again. So, they're in the exported photos somewhere.

So, here's the question: Does anyone know of extremely easy-to-use photo viewing software, hopefully free, that will display the keywords embedded in the photos? I tried a test using Faststone Image Viewer, and while it shows metadata, it doesn't seem to display keywords.
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'... (show quote)

IrfanView is easy, feature packed and free. Been around forever.

Reply
 
 
Jan 14, 2022 16:43:54   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
DWU2 wrote:
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'm thinking about exporting the family photos as JPG's and giving them to my kids. One issue I've been considering is whether they will be able to see the keywords I've created for the photos, which help provide a lot of context. I've done some experiments. If I export photos from LR as JPG's, I've been able to verify that the keywords go with them. For one thing, if you view the exported photos in Windows Explorer, the keywords show up under "Tags." If you take exported photos and re-import them into LR, the keywords then show up under keywords in LR again. So, they're in the exported photos somewhere.

So, here's the question: Does anyone know of extremely easy-to-use photo viewing software, hopefully free, that will display the keywords embedded in the photos? I tried a test using Faststone Image Viewer, and while it shows metadata, it doesn't seem to display keywords.
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'... (show quote)


Sounds like you're using Windows.

As you note, Windows Explorer will show the keywords but you have to know how to look for them. Similarly, IrfanView will show the keywords if you know how to find them. I am not aware of any viewer that will automatically show the keywords when you bring up the image.

If the keywords are that important, how about adding them to the image? You can add white space and insert the keywords there so they are actually part of the image. This has the advantage that if you make a print, the keywords will be included (useful because prints have no metadata).

You might get some ideas from Adding Documentation to Family Photos

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 09:47:52   #
lamiaceae Loc: San Luis Obispo County, CA
 
DWU2 wrote:
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'm thinking about exporting the family photos as JPG's and giving them to my kids. One issue I've been considering is whether they will be able to see the keywords I've created for the photos, which help provide a lot of context. I've done some experiments. If I export photos from LR as JPG's, I've been able to verify that the keywords go with them. For one thing, if you view the exported photos in Windows Explorer, the keywords show up under "Tags." If you take exported photos and re-import them into LR, the keywords then show up under keywords in LR again. So, they're in the exported photos somewhere.

So, here's the question: Does anyone know of extremely easy-to-use photo viewing software, hopefully free, that will display the keywords embedded in the photos? I tried a test using Faststone Image Viewer, and while it shows metadata, it doesn't seem to display keywords.
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'... (show quote)


It looks like you got some answers. On a related issue. Are you naming your final image files for this project with names that at least partly ID the subject? Say "2014-05-21_Aunt Cindy_Buffalo NY 1998.jpg" Which for me would tell me later the image of Aunt Cindy taken in Buffalo in 1998 was scanned on May 21, 2014. You can include what you need or want. Though in this case I would have to edit the file name later as my Epson Scanners do not allow such names. Good luck.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 09:52:49   #
lamiaceae Loc: San Luis Obispo County, CA
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
Sounds like you're using Windows.

As you note, Windows Explorer will show the keywords but you have to know how to look for them. Similarly, IrfanView will show the keywords if you know how to find them. I am not aware of any viewer that will automatically show the keywords when you bring up the image.

If the keywords are that important, how about adding them to the image? You can add white space and insert the keywords there so they are actually part of the image. This has the advantage that if you make a print, the keywords will be included (useful because prints have no metadata).

You might get some ideas from Adding Documentation to Family Photos
Sounds like you're using Windows. br br As you no... (show quote)


Best answer thus far.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 10:04:15   #
lamiaceae Loc: San Luis Obispo County, CA
 
DWU2 wrote:
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'm thinking about exporting the family photos as JPG's and giving them to my kids. One issue I've been considering is whether they will be able to see the keywords I've created for the photos, which help provide a lot of context. I've done some experiments. If I export photos from LR as JPG's, I've been able to verify that the keywords go with them. For one thing, if you view the exported photos in Windows Explorer, the keywords show up under "Tags." If you take exported photos and re-import them into LR, the keywords then show up under keywords in LR again. So, they're in the exported photos somewhere.

So, here's the question: Does anyone know of extremely easy-to-use photo viewing software, hopefully free, that will display the keywords embedded in the photos? I tried a test using Faststone Image Viewer, and while it shows metadata, it doesn't seem to display keywords.
I have a large Lightroom catalog of photos, and I'... (show quote)


I like DirtFarmer's suggestion the best. It might take a little effort.

I might add since I am not sure what precisely he meant by "white space". I might suggest you add a white mat-like frame to your images with Lr and place key words, title, photographer, copyright info there like where someone might sign an actual framed print on the mat. Yes, a lot more work but it looks much more professional and neat. A little box with the data on the image could be done too. Your choice.

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2022 10:07:52   #
dbrugger25 Loc: Raleigh, NC
 
You could sort the photos and place them in directories that are named by a combo of subject and time period. That will save you from renaming each photo.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 10:36:29   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
lamiaceae wrote:
... I am not sure what precisely he meant by "white space". I might suggest you add a white mat-like frame to your images with Lr and place key words, title, photographer, copyright info there like where someone might sign an actual framed print on the mat...


Yes, something like a white border would work, but it is possible to just add a white border on one edge of an image rather than all around it.

If you don't have LR, on Windows, Microsoft Paint can add white space to one edge. Easiest to do with the bottom or right side, but it's easy to move the image if you want it on the top or left side. In Paint, go to File => Properties. That brings up a dialog that allows you to adjust the width and/or height. Making one or both of those numbers larger will add white space to the right or bottom. Paint will also allow you to add text to either the image or the white space.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 12:53:17   #
lamiaceae Loc: San Luis Obispo County, CA
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
Yes, something like a white border would work, but it is possible to just add a white border on one edge of an image rather than all around it.

If you don't have LR, on Windows, Microsoft Paint can add white space to one edge. Easiest to do with the bottom or right side, but it's easy to move the image if you want it on the top or left side. In Paint, go to File => Properties. That brings up a dialog that allows you to adjust the width and/or height. Making one or both of those numbers larger will add white space to the right or bottom. Paint will also allow you to add text to either the image or the white space.
Yes, something like a white border would work, but... (show quote)


"Yes, something like a white border would work, but it is possible to just add a white border on one edge of an image rather than all around it." I have done that a few time but it looks awful. Put an entire paragraph of info but it takes away from the composition of the image. I guess I am more interested in fine art than IDing snap shots. And if course the OP asked for something easy. Large amounts of information to my usage goes on the back of actual matted and glass framed prints. Again why I liked your post for the OP.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 13:08:10   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
lamiaceae wrote:
"Yes, something like a white border would work, but it is possible to just add a white border on one edge of an image rather than all around it." I have done that a few time but it looks awful. Put an entire paragraph of info but it takes away from the composition of the image. I guess I am more interested in fine art than IDing snap shots. And if course the OP asked for something easy. Large amounts of information to my usage goes on the back of actual matted and glass framed prints. Again why I liked your post for the OP.
"Yes, something like a white border would wor... (show quote)


I agree that putting a lot of information on the image, whether on the border or on the image, takes away from the composition. This is not something for fine art. This is for documentation of the family (or maybe just for documentation of something). The advantage of putting all the documentation on a border is that the border can easily be cropped off. (For archivists, that would be a bug, not a feature).

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2022 14:13:02   #
DWU2 Loc: Phoenix Arizona area
 
DirtFarmer wrote:
I agree that putting a lot of information on the image, whether on the border or on the image, takes away from the composition. This is not something for fine art. This is for documentation of the family (or maybe just for documentation of something). The advantage of putting all the documentation on a border is that the border can easily be cropped off. (For archivists, that would be a bug, not a feature).


I'm the OP. Here's a little more context: I created a collection of photos for the family back in 2003. I'm thinking about updating with photos since. In the original collection, I put the photos in directories that started with the date and contained a description of the event. I also put descriptions similar to keywords in the photos' filenames. The latter was very time-consuming. All my photos are already in directories with dates and event descriptions. This time around, I think I can copy the directory structure (without copying the photos) with a simple command-line DOS-type command. There's several thousand photos I hope to provide. I know if I export the photos from LR to those directories as JPG's, they will contain the keywords. And, as I noted, Windows Explorer will show the keywords as tags. Many times, the photos will be self-evident to the family, but if they're not, I was hoping to find an easy-to-use viewer which could also readily show the keywords, so I didn't have to laboriously label every photo.

By the way, I'm not a MAC user. Is the Finder also capable of displaying tags/keywords?

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 14:16:30   #
profbowman Loc: Harrisonburg, VA, USA
 
The keywords should appear in the IPCO info associated with each photo.

To view this in IrfanView, bring up the photo in IrfanView and then select Image/Information and click in the new sib-window on the "IPTC info" button and then select the tab "Keywords/Categories." This sounds much more of a burden than it is. It is quite easy to find both the EXIF and IPTC info this way. --Richard

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 14:17:59   #
DWU2 Loc: Phoenix Arizona area
 
profbowman wrote:
The keywords should appear in the IPCO info associated with each photo.

To view this in IrfanView, bring up the photo in IrfanView and then select Image/Information and click in the new sib-window on the "IPTC info" button and then select the tab "Keywords/Categories." This sounds much more of a burden than it is. It is quite easy to find both the EXIF and IPTC info this way. --Richard


Thank you, Richard.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 15:59:50   #
DirtFarmer Loc: Way too close to New York City
 
DWU2 wrote:
...By the way, I'm not a MAC user. Is the Finder also capable of displaying tags/keywords?


I've been a Windows user for 30 years. Just got a Mac. Tried Finder on an image I know has keywords but I haven't found a way to see them yet (only had the Mac for 2 weeks).

I'd be interested in finding out the answer to that question.

Edit: Tried Preview and clicking on the information icon at the top of the image allows you to look at the IPTC data which contains the keywords. Also shows the EXIF data.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.