Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Internet/Wi-Fi/Email
Jan 14, 2022 08:48:16   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
This is a weird one. I was on my Kindle upstairs last night, and I couldn't connect to the Internet. The Wi-Fi signal was listed as "Excellent," but it said it could not connect to the Internet. Maybe the Internet was down temporarily. I wasn't able to connect to the news or weather or any website. I was able to send and receive email, though. How could that be possible?

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 09:06:43   #
johngault007 Loc: Florida Panhandle
 
jerryc41 wrote:
This is a weird one. I was on my Kindle upstairs last night, and I couldn't connect to the Internet. The Wi-Fi signal was listed as "Excellent," but it said it could not connect to the Internet. Maybe the Internet was down temporarily. I wasn't able to connect to the news or weather or any website. I was able to send and receive email, though. How could that be possible?


Could be 100 different things, but my first guess would be DNS was down for a little bit.

^^^ And that is assuming you weren't using a web browser to send and receive email.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 09:07:47   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
jerryc41 wrote:
This is a weird one. I was on my Kindle upstairs last night, and I couldn't connect to the Internet. The Wi-Fi signal was listed as "Excellent," but it said it could not connect to the Internet. Maybe the Internet was down temporarily. I wasn't able to connect to the news or weather or any website. I was able to send and receive email, though. How could that be possible?

Is your Kindle 4G? Our tablet is.
Some devices/applications have to be set to automatically switch to 4G if WIFI is not available. My phone is that way. Some apps do not use 4G, only WIFI. I have one or two of those on my phone.

Reply
 
 
Jan 14, 2022 09:18:31   #
Robertski Loc: So California
 
This situation is totally possible.
Your device relies on 2 things working.
The WAN or Wide Area Network is where your Modem is connected to your ISP to provide Internet.
The LAN or Local Area Network is the wired or Wireless signal from your Router to your device (iPad).
You can have either working fine, but they both need to be working. You could be 5 feet away from your router and if the modem has lost connection with your Internet Service Provider (ISP), you won't have internet.
This is common and usually corrected by a reboot to your Modem / Router... until the next time.
If you have time, turn off the modem for 10 -15 min so the ISP will reset the next time you turn on the modem.
If it occurs frequently, call your ISP and have them check signal strength to your modem. Your modem may have a Globe like light that signifies when Internet is connected. Until that light is shining, your WiFi won't have internet.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 09:25:51   #
johngault007 Loc: Florida Panhandle
 
Robertski wrote:
This situation is totally possible.
Your device relies on 2 things working.
The WAN or Wide Area Network is where your Modem is connected to your ISP to provide Internet.
The LAN or Local Area Network is the wired or Wireless signal from your Router to your device (iPad).
You can have either working fine, but they both need to be working. You could be 5 feet away from your router and if the modem has lost connection with your Internet Service Provider (ISP), you won't have internet.
This is common and usually corrected by a reboot to your Modem / Router... until the next time.
If you have time, turn off the modem for 10 -15 min so the ISP will reset the next time you turn on the modem.
If it occurs frequently, call your ISP and have them check signal strength to your modem. Your modem may have a Globe like light that signifies when Internet is connected. Until that light is shining, your WiFi won't have internet.
This situation is totally possible. br Your device... (show quote)


That is all correct, but address resolution wasn't working but email was....WAN and/or LAN errors would prevent both web browsing and email, not one or the other.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 13:02:51   #
Robertski Loc: So California
 
OOPS, I didn't read the last sentence where you said email was working.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 10:47:49   #
Sendai5355 Loc: On the banks of the Pedernales River, Texas
 
Occasionally, I'm unable to connect to some websites using the internet with my cellphone but can immediately connect to the same website with my Fire tablet. ???

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2022 10:57:32   #
neillaubenthal
 
johngault007 wrote:
Could be 100 different things, but my first guess would be DNS was down for a little bit.

^^^ And that is assuming you weren't using a web browser to send and receive email.


Actually mail won't send either if DNS is down since the mail app has the mail servers listed in preferences by name and it still needs DNS to convert mail.whatever.com to the IP address. Not sure what else it might be…as you say could be a lot of things but unlikely to be DNS and there are multiple DNS entries in the os and probably a clustered arrangement on the back end at the ISP anyway…and if you've manually put in google's DNS or CloudFlare's or something else it's definitely clustered/redundant.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 11:03:38   #
JBRIII
 
If someone like Google or such was down, but you used a different email provider like my Netzero, then email could work, but nothing depending on Google or such would work. Like a few weeks ago where Amazon cloud services were down. People using it for keyless entry to their Testlas could not start their cars. Car was fine, cell phone fine, maybe even their email, general internet, etc., but link to car down from Testla went thru Amazon cloud services which was down.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 11:45:25   #
johngault007 Loc: Florida Panhandle
 
neillaubenthal wrote:
Actually mail won't send either if DNS is down since the mail app has the mail servers listed in preferences by name and it still needs DNS to convert mail.whatever.com to the IP address. Not sure what else it might be…as you say could be a lot of things but unlikely to be DNS and there are multiple DNS entries in the os and probably a clustered arrangement on the back end at the ISP anyway…and if you've manually put in google's DNS or CloudFlare's or something else it's definitely clustered/redundant.
Actually mail won't send either if DNS is down sin... (show quote)


SMTP and POP3 can use IP address/port. Most providers don't do that because users are dumb and need to be coddled so they use domain names.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 16:59:31   #
TheShoe Loc: Lacey, WA
 
Maybe the web server was down, and the mail server was still up and working.

Reply
 
 
Jan 16, 2022 07:11:32   #
AirWalter Loc: Tipp City, Ohio
 
johngault007 wrote:
That is all correct, but address resolution wasn't working but email was....WAN and/or LAN errors would prevent both web browsing and email, not one or the other.


Just in case everybody hasn't heard by now, . . . . . . . . . . . . anything is possible with Jerry!


Reply
Jan 16, 2022 10:44:28   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
AirWalter wrote:
Just in case everybody hasn't heard by now, . . . . . . . . . . . . anything is possible with Jerry!

Just in case everybody hasn't heard by now, . . . ... (show quote)



Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.