Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Members Buy/Sell/Trade -- Classifieds
Wanted F8 900 mm mirror lens
Jan 13, 2022 19:04:29   #
JBRIII
 
Anyone have a polaroid or similar mirror lens (Same specs needed) they wish to sell? Needs to accept T ring for Canon EF.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 19:30:43   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
You can adapt one of these to Canon EF .........https://www.ebay.com/itm/154444663687?hash=item23f59e8b87:g:qsQAAOSwKG9glguF

.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 01:40:50   #
flip1948 Loc: Hamden, CT
 
JBRIII wrote:
Anyone have a polaroid or similar mirror lens (Same specs needed) they wish to sell? Needs to accept T ring for Canon EF.

The Polaroid may actually be a Jintu 900mm mirror:

https://jintuphoto1.com/products/jintu-900mm-f-8-0-super-mirror-telephoto-manual-focus-lens-t2-mount-adapter-ring-for-canon-nikon-pentax-sony-olympus-dslr-camera

Here is an image of the Polaroid followed by an image of the Jintu. Notice the exact same text on the lens barrel.

Polaroid 900mm
Polaroid 900mm...

Jintu 900mm
Jintu 900mm...

Reply
 
 
Jan 14, 2022 06:40:15   #
User ID
 
flip1948 wrote:
The Polaroid may actually be a Jintu 900mm mirror:

https://jintuphoto1.com/products/jintu-900mm-f-8-0-super-mirror-telephoto-manual-focus-lens-t2-mount-adapter-ring-for-canon-nikon-pentax-sony-olympus-dslr-camera

Here is an image of the Polaroid followed by an image of the Jintu. Notice the exact same text on the lens barrel.

Acoarst they’re the same. Polaroid is out of business. Various import distributors have licensed popular defunct company names like Polaroid, Vivitar, Kodak, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

900/8.0 is rather fast for that FL. DoF is similar to a 50/00.45, IOW essentially no DoF at all. I wouldn’t go near it. I have a 1000/11.0 and that also features close to zero DoF. Tricky to use.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 09:30:08   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
Why does it say "DX" on it ??

I am very skeptical .......IMO, it is not physically big enough for the advertised focal length and aperture AND, it does not have facility for tripod mount or sighting line up ! The price makes it CHEAP .....yes, I have used mirror lenses.

The Minolta 800 f8 is much more practical/attractive.......
.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 09:34:12   #
jeweler53
 
I have a Soligor 650 f8.5 that I could part with if that would work. And yes, focusing is tricky. In good light it works just fine.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 17:52:16   #
JBRIII
 
jeweler53 wrote:
I have a Soligor 650 f8.5 that I could part with if that would work. And yes, focusing is tricky. In good light it works just fine.


I want to do something where I need two identical or at least same specs.
The Jintsu would work and I may buy it, but thought someone might have one that they no longer wanted.

Thanks;
Jim

Reply
 
 
Jan 15, 2022 15:24:26   #
flip1948 Loc: Hamden, CT
 
imagemeister wrote:
Why does it say "DX" on it ??

I am very skeptical .......IMO, it is not physically big enough for the advertised focal length and aperture AND, it does not have facility for tripod mount or sighting line up ! The price makes it CHEAP .....yes, I have used mirror lenses.

The Minolta 800 f8 is much more practical/attractive.......
.

Yes, the DX is confusing and at first I thought it might mean it was designed for cropped sensor cameras and achieved the 900mm focal length using the crop factor. However, DX is a Nikon designation and the website for the Jintu version makes no mention of the design being for APS-C sensors.

I did see mention on the web that a few people didn't think the lens was big enough to be a 900mm...but that's what the manufacturer says it is...so who knows.

I personally have a Sigma 600mm f/8 that I picked up in 1986. It's a pretty decent performer. Like all mirror lenses the contrast can be a little low, but that can be corrected in post. Sigma also made a very compact 400mm f/5.6 and as 1000mm f/11.

I've always been tempted to try the 400mm, but they are few and far between. Usually when I find one it's for some mount other than Nikon...and they usually sell for more than the 600mm due to scarcity.

Reply
Jan 15, 2022 16:21:14   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
flip1948 wrote:
Yes, the DX is confusing and at first I thought it might mean it was designed for cropped sensor cameras and achieved the 900mm focal length using the crop factor. However, DX is a Nikon designation and the website for the Jintu version makes no mention of the design being for APS-C sensors.

I did see mention on the web that a few people didn't think the lens was big enough to be a 900mm...but that's what the manufacturer says it is...so who knows.

I personally have a Sigma 600mm f/8 that I picked up in 1986. It's a pretty decent performer. Like all mirror lenses the contrast can be a little low, but that can be corrected in post. Sigma also made a very compact 400mm f/5.6 and as 1000mm f/11.

I've always been tempted to try the 400mm, but they are few and far between. Usually when I find one it's for some mount other than Nikon...and they usually sell for more than the 600mm due to scarcity.
Yes, the DX is confusing and at first I thought it... (show quote)


I have a Russian 500 f5.6 that when in use is actually 600 f6.7 ......??

Reply
Jan 16, 2022 17:08:25   #
RayF Loc: New Jersey
 
flip1948 wrote:
The Polaroid may actually be a Jintu 900mm mirror:

https://jintuphoto1.com/products/jintu-900mm-f-8-0-super-mirror-telephoto-manual-focus-lens-t2-mount-adapter-ring-for-canon-nikon-pentax-sony-olympus-dslr-camera

Here is an image of the Polaroid followed by an image of the Jintu. Notice the exact same text on the lens barrel.



I have a Lightdow 900mm f8 for Cano EF along with a 2x extender.
The focus ring is tight and difficult to turn. I will let it go for $50. I will mail it to you and if you want to keep it send me the $50 plus shipping cost. If you don’t don’t like it mail it back to me.
If any one else here reads this and wants it the same deal apples.

E-mail me at rcforse@gmail.com

Reply
Jan 16, 2022 19:06:00   #
imagemeister Loc: Stuart, Florida
 
RayF wrote:
I have a Lightdow 900mm f8 for Cano EF along with a 2x extender.
The focus ring is tight and difficult to turn. I will let it go for $50. I will mail it to you and if you want to keep it send me the $50 plus shipping cost. If you don’t don’t like it mail it back to me.
If any one else here reads this and wants it the same deal apples.

E-mail me at rcforse@gmail.com


Nuf said ! .....
.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Members Buy/Sell/Trade -- Classifieds
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.