Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Scanner help
Jan 13, 2022 17:50:34   #
lindadak Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
 
I'm primarily a browser here, trying to learn from all of you. Please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section. I have a lot of old - dating from the 1940s and forward, with a couple that were taken prior to 1900. Most of them are b/w, and many are out of focus. I'm looking to buy a wireless, sheet-fed scanner to scan these for genealogy and family purposes. It's likely I will not print them, but I want to build a folder where they are easy to find for the younger generations in my family, who now are showing interest in them. Price is not a big issue, although I'd prefer to keep it under $500. I'd be very interested to hear your comments on the best scanner for these old photos. Thanks in advance.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 18:15:49   #
Floyd Loc: Misplaced Texan in Florence, Alabama
 
Check out ,on Amazon, the Epson Workforce ES-400ii scanner. I have an older model (GT-s50) that is 9 years old I've used to scan pictures, old documents,etc. for churches protecting their history. The double side scanning is great to capture names and comments on the back of old photos.
That newer model should meet your needs.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 18:18:43   #
lindadak Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
 
Floyd wrote:
Check out ,on Amazon, the Epson Workforce ES-400ii scanner. I have an older model (GT-s50) that is 9 years old I've used to scan pictures, old documents,etc. for churches protecting their history. The double side scanning is great to capture names and comments on the back of old photos.
That newer model should meet your needs.


Thanks so much. I've looked at that one and put it on my list of strong contenders.

Reply
 
 
Jan 13, 2022 18:25:14   #
robertjerl Loc: Corona, California
 
lindadak wrote:
I'm primarily a browser here, trying to learn from all of you. Please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section. I have a lot of old - dating from the 1940s and forward, with a couple that were taken prior to 1900. Most of them are b/w, and many are out of focus. I'm looking to buy a wireless, sheet-fed scanner to scan these for genealogy and family purposes. It's likely I will not print them, but I want to build a folder where they are easy to find for the younger generations in my family, who now are showing interest in them. Price is not a big issue, although I'd prefer to keep it under $500. I'd be very interested to hear your comments on the best scanner for these old photos. Thanks in advance.
I'm primarily a browser here, trying to learn from... (show quote)


Photo scanners generally do not have auto feed because they also use forms to hold negatives and slides for scanning. But there are some "photo quality" scanners that do double duty and have document feeders.

If you have any large amount of slides and negatives with any of those prints - direct scanning of the negatives often produces better results than scanning the print. And slide/negative scanners are yet a different type of scanner. I have one that will do 35mm, they make them that can feed strips of 120 film and slides also.

https://bestreviews.com/best-photo-scanners

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLX26BB?linkCode=ogi&th=1&tag=popularmechanics_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=%5Bartid%7C10060.g.37434133%5Bsrc%7C%5Bch%7C%5Blt%7C

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-scanner-for-documents-and-photos

Film and slide: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-best-film-scanners

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 18:28:11   #
Floyd Loc: Misplaced Texan in Florence, Alabama
 
I've stacked 25-30 pages at a time and let the machine control the feeding process; important to me as it gave me time to check the previous stack for quality: something that never was a problem.
Good luck.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 18:48:58   #
lindadak Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
 
robertjerl wrote:
Photo scanners generally do not have auto feed because they also use forms to hold negatives and slides for scanning. But there are some "photo quality" scanners that do double duty and have document feeders.

If you have any large amount of slides and negatives with any of those prints - direct scanning of the negatives often produces better results than scanning the print. And slide/negative scanners are yet a different type of scanner. I have one that will do 35mm, they make them that can feed strips of 120 film and slides also.

https://bestreviews.com/best-photo-scanners

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLX26BB?linkCode=ogi&th=1&tag=popularmechanics_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=%5Bartid%7C10060.g.37434133%5Bsrc%7C%5Bch%7C%5Blt%7C

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-scanner-for-documents-and-photos

Film and slide: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-best-film-scanners
Photo scanners generally do not have auto feed bec... (show quote)


Thank you. I will look into these.

Reply
Jan 13, 2022 20:59:20   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
lindadak wrote:
I'm primarily a browser here, trying to learn from all of you. Please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section. I have a lot of old - dating from the 1940s and forward, with a couple that were taken prior to 1900. Most of them are b/w, and many are out of focus. I'm looking to buy a wireless, sheet-fed scanner to scan these for genealogy and family purposes. It's likely I will not print them, but I want to build a folder where they are easy to find for the younger generations in my family, who now are showing interest in them. Price is not a big issue, although I'd prefer to keep it under $500. I'd be very interested to hear your comments on the best scanner for these old photos. Thanks in advance.
I'm primarily a browser here, trying to learn from... (show quote)


Hi, Linda. Check this out. I don't know your level of interest or what gear you have, but some of this may be interesting or helpful:

Attached file:
(Download)

Reply
 
 
Jan 14, 2022 07:43:12   #
banjoboy Loc: Austin, TX
 
I have a Fujitsu iX1500 that does a surprisingly good job on photos and handles paper well. Saves in jpg or PDF format and scans both sides at once - helpful if descriptions are written on the back. Thee current model is the iX1600. I purchased for copying paperwork for an estate and just tried photos as a test. It turned out much better than I had guessed and is very speedy. I’m not sure I’d use any autofeeder scanner for fragile photos, however.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 13:23:10   #
lindadak Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
 
banjoboy wrote:
I have a Fujitsu iX1500 that does a surprisingly good job on photos and handles paper well. Saves in jpg or PDF format and scans both sides at once - helpful if descriptions are written on the back. Thee current model is the iX1600. I purchased for copying paperwork for an estate and just tried photos as a test. It turned out much better than I had guessed and is very speedy. I’m not sure I’d use any autofeeder scanner for fragile photos, however.


Thank you.

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 13:35:14   #
buldog216 Loc: Boynton Beach, Florida
 
HP Desk Jet 4155e

Reply
Jan 14, 2022 14:13:13   #
lindadak Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
 
buldog216 wrote:
HP Desk Jet 4155e


Thanks.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.