Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
New Type of Car Radios
Jul 17, 2021 09:14:12   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
I was surprised to see that there is a new type of car radio, or headunit. It's basically a tablet with a large screen that functions as your radio - and whatever. Until I got the Fit, I had replaced the radio in just about every car I've owned, but I'm satisfied with this radio - and it's LCD screen with backup and sideview cameras. idoing is the brand I saw someone install yesterday on YouTube.

Reply
Jul 17, 2021 09:24:21   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
In all my cars I've owned, I only replaced one radio,
one that broke.

Reply
Jul 17, 2021 09:34:07   #
47greyfox Loc: Colorado front range
 
Longshadow wrote:
In all my cars I've owned, I only replaced one radio,
one that broke.


Ha! The only one I ever replaced was a unit that was stolen while parked an airport (JFK) parking lot. Seems to me with a lot contemporary vehicles that it’s gotten more and more challenging to find replacement compatible headunits.

Reply
 
 
Jul 17, 2021 09:38:08   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
47greyfox wrote:
Ha! The only one I ever replaced was a unit that was stolen while parked an airport (JFK) parking lot. Seems to me with a lot contemporary vehicles that it’s gotten more and more challenging to find replacement compatible headunits.


Many radio dealers sell all sorts of adapters, so installing is fairly easy. What's difficult is removing the original radio.

Reply
Jul 17, 2021 10:02:14   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
47greyfox wrote:
Ha! The only one I ever replaced was a unit that was stolen while parked an airport (JFK) parking lot. Seems to me with a lot contemporary vehicles that it’s gotten more and more challenging to find replacement compatible headunits.

Yea, large, square, all kinds of buttons...
far cry from the old "one size fits all dashes" era.

Reply
Jul 18, 2021 13:03:08   #
josquin1 Loc: Massachusetts
 
Isn't Honda replacing the Fit?

Reply
Jul 18, 2021 13:42:31   #
fetzler Loc: North West PA
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I was surprised to see that there is a new type of car radio, or headunit. It's basically a tablet with a large screen that functions as your radio - and whatever. Until I got the Fit, I had replaced the radio in just about every car I've owned, but I'm satisfied with this radio - and it's LCD screen with backup and sideview cameras. idoing is the brand I saw someone install yesterday on YouTube.


My Chevrolets have had them for a least a decade.

Reply
 
 
Jul 18, 2021 22:12:26   #
delder
 
Crutchifeld ads give some insight into the difficulty/impossibility involved in replacement of the NEWEST highly sophisticated OEM Car Radio/Entertainment/Backup Display/ETC ETC units.
They often recommend adapters to install additional amplifiers / speakers to the EXISTING Setup......

Reply
Jul 18, 2021 22:21:51   #
burkphoto Loc: High Point, NC
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I was surprised to see that there is a new type of car radio, or headunit. It's basically a tablet with a large screen that functions as your radio - and whatever. Until I got the Fit, I had replaced the radio in just about every car I've owned, but I'm satisfied with this radio - and it's LCD screen with backup and sideview cameras. idoing is the brand I saw someone install yesterday on YouTube.


My son has a 2013 Lexus 300h with a touch screen that does everything like navigation, radio, CD, satellite radio, hands-free phone, Bluetooth audio, backup camera, and other car functions. It even plays DVD videos, but only with the car in Park and emergency brake set.

When he got it, he sat in the driveway for hours, just messing with it. My old Prius does most of that, but I only use the FM radio, CD changer, and hands free phone features. 98% of the time, it’s on a college or university system FM station. We have five in the area.

Reply
Jul 19, 2021 02:15:11   #
Ched49 Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa.
 
The problem here is...technology keeps changing. first it was casset's then cd's.

Reply
Jul 19, 2021 07:59:31   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
josquin1 wrote:
Isn't Honda replacing the Fit?


They don't send me their plans for the future. Could be.

Reply
 
 
Jul 19, 2021 08:02:15   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
I think I wasn't clear enough in my original post. These aren't radios. They're tablets, with all the functions of tablets. I doubt they would display MPG, though, as current radio screens do.

https://idoingexpert.aliexpress.com/store/2341287

Reply
Jul 20, 2021 09:38:57   #
PhotogHobbyist Loc: Bradford, PA
 
Ched49 wrote:
The problem here is...technology keeps changing. first it was casset's then cd's.


Many car manufacturers are not including CD players anymore, they figure everyone is going to MP3 or MP4 players. Soon it will be MP5, 6, or 7s.

Reply
Jul 21, 2021 00:12:59   #
Ched49 Loc: Pittsburgh, Pa.
 
PhotogHobbyist wrote:
Many car manufacturers are not including CD players anymore, they figure everyone is going to MP3 or MP4 players. Soon it will be MP5, 6, or 7s.


Yes exactly, technology keeps evolving. My 2016 Malibu, it had no radio or cd player to speak of, i play music downloaded my smartphone!

Reply
Jul 21, 2021 12:23:46   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
PhotogHobbyist wrote:
Many car manufacturers are not including CD players anymore, they figure everyone is going to MP3 or MP4 players. Soon it will be MP5, 6, or 7s.


That's too bad. I use a flash drive, instead, but it isn't the same.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.