Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Purple Dead-Nettle
Mar 26, 2020 18:49:10   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Our lawn is carpeted with Purple Dead Nettle so I brought a sprig in and staged it for a focus stacking photo session. To put its size in perspective, here's a picture of one that I took in the yard that has a tiny ant on it.

Many may consider these to be weeds however a weed is simply a plant that is not wanted where it is. A rose bush in a corn field would be considered to be a weed. Because we have so little signs of spring around our home, this is a very welcomed beautiful little "flower".


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 19:39:31   #
tinusbum Loc: east texas
 
cool,we have those too.i didnt know the name

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 19:46:26   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
tinusbum wrote:
cool,we have those too.i didnt know the name


Thanks, I've been told that some have made tea with them. I'm strictly a coffee guy or ice tea plain. In days past I would drink anything that didn't have a skull and crossbones on it however those days are long, long gone....as are many of my brain cells from it.

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 19:53:20   #
Pysanka Artist Loc: Rochester, NY
 
Lovely images!

| Reply
Mar 26, 2020 20:31:58   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Pysanka Artist wrote:
Lovely images!


Thanks for dropping by and for the feedback. What I find interesting with this lovely little plant is that the pollen is located on the top inside surface of "the cup". When a bee or other insect sticks its head in it the pollen gets deposited onto it and carried on to the next plant.

I took a picture of one last year in the process with its head deep inside the cup of the blossom.


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 27, 2020 07:01:02   #
EnglishBrenda Loc: Kent, England
 
I did a stack of a few of these leaves once, they are prettier than might be expected from a first glance and sometimes they turn a purple colour. Well done, I must have another go at the flower.

| Reply
Mar 27, 2020 08:23:35   #
Pysanka Artist Loc: Rochester, NY
 
sippyjug104 wrote:
Thanks for dropping by and for the feedback. What I find interesting with this lovely little plant is that the pollen is located on the top inside surface of "the cup". When a bee or other insect sticks its head in it the pollen gets deposited onto it and carried on to the next plant.

I took a picture of one last year in the process with its head deep inside the cup of the blossom.


That's why it's so prolific!

| Reply
Mar 27, 2020 08:28:09   #
DougS Loc: Central Arkansas
 
A very pretty, and interesting photo. My yard is full of them right now, and the honeybees love them! Somehow I had never even thought of photographing them... Mostly called "Henbit" here. Thanks for sharing!!!

| Reply
Mar 27, 2020 09:18:29   #
Mark Sturtevant Loc: Grand Blanc, MI
 
Very nice. As I understand it, many plants have anthers that are designed to dab pollen on an insects head or top of the body. Then they go onto the next flower. Also, they can have the female pistil at the same location, so the pollen is delivered on target. All inadvertent from the insects standpoint. Finally, to avoid self-pollination a flower will mature their male and female parts at different times. Flowers are ingenious.

| Reply
Mar 27, 2020 09:56:33   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
Mark Sturtevant wrote:
Very nice. As I understand it, many plants have anthers that are designed to dab pollen on an insects head or top of the body. Then they go onto the next flower. Also, they can have the female pistil at the same location, so the pollen is delivered on target. All inadvertent from the insects standpoint. Finally, to avoid self-pollination a flower will mature their male and female parts at different times. Flowers are ingenious.


Mark, it's all billions of years in the making although plants are just a mere 450-million years or so.

| Reply
Mar 27, 2020 09:57:25   #
sippyjug104 Loc: Missouri
 
DougS wrote:
A very pretty, and interesting photo. My yard is full of them right now, and the honeybees love them! Somehow I had never even thought of photographing them... Mostly called "Henbit" here. Thanks for sharing!!!


Thanks for dropping by. I enjoy looking at things in a magnified way and I enjoy sharing them even more.

| Reply
Mar 27, 2020 14:48:11   #
fetzler Loc: North West PA
 
just took some photos of this plant yesterday. Very nice.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2020 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.