Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Super Bloom - The Hillsides are ablaze
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Mar 14, 2019 23:13:36   #
SalvageDiver
 
with brilliant colors of gold and green from the latest flower bloom.

We were driving down the I15 just sound of Lake Elsinore CA and the hillsides just came alive in front of us. Amazed and excited, we turned off the very next exit, Lake St. and found a place to park. We grabbed our cellphone cameras and my tiny hiking camera, a little Sony a6000, and headed up the dirt trails and into the flowers. It was an overcast day, so the colors were a little flat, but the poppies didn't get that message. Well as you would expect, we weren't the only ones there. Camera's and couples were out in force taking advantage of mother nature's beautiful background.

The predominant flowers in bloom were the golden poppies, but there were still smatterings of other flowers with open petals all keeping the bees working overtime. Along with the poppies, the hillsides were sprinkled with white, yellow, green and purple flowers. The flowers were blooming mostly on the south facing hillsides. From a high vantage point you could see the bloom extending a couple of miles along the freeway and into the hills as far as the eye could see.

My final image is a pano showing the golden poppies on the hillside as far as one can see.

These images are essentially SOOC, with just a slight adjustment to exposure and WB for my raw files. The colors are actually much more vivid and saturated to the eye than what you see in these images.

For those hedgehoggers in SoCal, don't miss this event. It won't last long.

These images a best viewed in download.
1
1...
(Download)
2
2...
(Download)
3
3...
(Download)
4
4...
(Download)
5
5...
(Download)
6
6...
(Download)
7
7...
(Download)
8
8...
(Download)
9
9...
(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:17:24   #
jaymatt (a regular here)
 
Nice photos; pretty poppies. Tho my knowledge, we only have red ones here in Indiana.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:26:14   #
dancers (a regular here)
 
Those poppy pictures are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! we call them Californian Poppies here.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:28:43   #
SalvageDiver
 
jaymatt wrote:
Nice photos; pretty poppies. Tho my knowledge, we only have red ones here in Indiana.


Hi Jaymatt, never seen a red poppy. Normally these hills are dirt brown with very little vegetation but a lot of dust and rocks. For us, this is a very rare experience.

Mike

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:34:32   #
SalvageDiver
 
dancers wrote:
Those poppy pictures are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! we call them Californian Poppies here.


Hi dancers, yep it's often called California Poppies (Eschscholzia californica) here also. The name is used interchangeably. It's also our state flower. These pictures still don't capture the full colors and expanse of these poppy fields.

Mike

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:35:16   #
dancers (a regular here)
 
SalvageDiver wrote:
Hi Jaymatt, never seen a red poppy. Normally these hills are dirt brown with very little vegetation but a lot of dust and rocks. For us, this is a very rare experience.

Mike


we have poppies here that are red, orange, white, pink or yellow, BUT they are not the exact same as these pictured.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:37:57   #
dancers (a regular here)
 
SalvageDiver wrote:
Hi dancers, yep it's often called California Poppies (Eschscholzia californica) here also. The name is used interchangeably. It's also our state flower. These pictures still don't capture the full colors and expanse of these poppy fields.

Mike


I knew that they are your State flower.....................in a mass such as pictured they are magnificent!

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:41:13   #
BlueMorel (a regular here)
 
Wow! A spectacular sight! Thanks for sharing! I envy you!

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 23:50:27   #
UTMike (a regular here)
 
Wonderful series!

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 00:00:56   #
BrentHarder
 
I agree with your words about the poppies.........it was such a moving experience for me to experience them also...............amazing. A photographer's home run! Here is a link to my poppies experience:
https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-582803-1.html
it's interesting to me that we both were at this location and because we each have our own photographic style, the photos are very different!

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 00:36:09   #
SalvageDiver
 
BrentHarder wrote:
I agree with your words about the poppies.........it was such a moving experience for me to experience them also...............amazing. A photographer's home run! Here is a link to my poppies experience:
https://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-582803-1.html
it's interesting to me that we both were at this location and because we each have our own photographic style, the photos are very different!


Hi Brent, you know the experience. We just happened on this bloom by pure happenstance. We didn't know they were blooming. And you're right, it is a photographers home run.

If 10 photogs went out, I'm sure all would look different. For us it was overcast, so I tried to get close to the flowers with just enough to show the big picture. Would have liked a nice sunny day with lots of white puffy clouds. Almost all my pics were with my cellphone because the battery in my sony was almost dead.

FYI, the Ortega Falls are flowing and the San Juan Creek was full earlier this week. There is an easy access to the SJ creek just across the street from the Candy Store. It's the San Juan Loop Trail, an easy 2.5 mile loop. It's also a good place for photography.

Another FYI, the OC Cherry Blossom Festival is this weekend at the HB Central park.





| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 03:17:24   #
jdub82 (a regular here)
 
Nice series! Some beautiful shots of the California wildflowers super bloom.

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 06:37:15   #
yssirk123 (a regular here)
 

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 06:53:38   #
nimbushopper (a regular here)
 
A great set!

| Reply
Mar 15, 2019 11:58:41   #
Blair Shaw Jr (a regular here)
 
This year will be an Epic Year for those Poppies ! Yipppeeee!

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.