Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Alhambra night shoot advice.
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Mar 13, 2019 19:53:36   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
I have tickets for a nightime visit to the Nasri Palace at Alhambra, Granada. Flashes and tripods are not allowed.

I am planning on using my A6000 with a Rokinon 12mm f/2.0. Neither the body nor the lens have any VR. I will also have the kit 16-50mm f3.5 which has OSS. Wondering if anybody has been there at night. What is the lighting like? Will I be able to get away with handheld at a reasonable ISO?

Also plannng a night visit to the mosque/cathedral in Cordoba with same concerns.

Also like to hear of any recommended shots, cute neighborhoods etc (besides the major monuments and buildings) in Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, and Granada (maybe Avila also)

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 20:36:41   #
richincrest
 
If you get a chance to hit the Hill towns of Southern Spain do it..and our favorite place on our recent trip was Ronda...spectacular canyon with great night lighting...birthplace of Bull fighting..lots of Hemingway connections etc. Have a great trip. Rich in San Diego

| Reply
Mar 13, 2019 23:26:12   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
richincrest wrote:
If you get a chance to hit the Hill towns of Southern Spain do it..and our favorite place on our recent trip was Ronda...spectacular canyon with great night lighting...birthplace of Bull fighting..lots of Hemingway connections etc. Have a great trip. Rich in San Diego


Thanks Rich. We did that route a few years ago. Ronda was a real favorite. Also spent a day driving through the mountains and the 'Pueblo Blancos' We did Alhambra on that trip also, but tmy camera battery died on my second shot after entering the Palace. I swore we would come back some day, so this is it.


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 05:18:59   #
Gene51 (a regular here)
 
repleo wrote:
I have tickets for a nightime visit to the Nasri Palace at Alhambra, Granada. Flashes and tripods are not allowed.

I am planning on using my A6000 with a Rokinon 12mm f/2.0. Neither the body nor the lens have any VR. I will also have the kit 16-50mm f3.5 which has OSS. Wondering if anybody has been there at night. What is the lighting like? Will I be able to get away with handheld at a reasonable ISO?

Also plannng a night visit to the mosque/cathedral in Cordoba with same concerns.

Also like to hear of any recommended shots, cute neighborhoods etc (besides the major monuments and buildings) in Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, and Granada (maybe Avila also)
I have tickets for a nightime visit to the Nasri P... (show quote)


The Alhambra is well lighted. My guess is that you won't need anything special other than a very sharp lens that is good at F4- F8, and preferably has optical stabilization.

You may want to take a look here for answers to the lens/camera question and suggested shots. Most of the images show camera settings in the EXIF data. I understand you have a whole 90 mins to explore and shoot.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=alhambra%20at%20night

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 10:31:20   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
Thanks Gene.
I've gone through the Flickr pics and unfortunately there are very few night shots of the interior which leads me to believe it is a challenge. The best one is at F4.0; 1/30 sec but at ISO 10,000. I have a 24mm F1.4 on order. If it arrives in time I may switch to my A7Rii which would give me IBIS, better ISO and an extra stop.
However, the extra weight / bulk may mean leaving my underwear at home and going Commando for a week.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 11:10:42   #
SuperflyTNT (a regular here)
 
repleo wrote:
However, the extra weight / bulk may mean leaving my underwear at home and going Commando for a week.


The sacrifices we have to make for our craft.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 11:27:05   #
brow3904
 
Southern villages are beautiful. Mejas was a big highlight of our trip. Taxis are donkeys pulling carts. At 4pm every afternoon they are turned loose (no matter where they are in the village) and they run through town to their dinner. Beautiful view of sea below. All of the streets are paved with tiles.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 12:42:50   #
BrianFlaherty
 
About 20 years ago, I spent a day at the Alhambra. Shooting film, I was "armed" with two Nikons: an F-100; and, an F-3. . .And, TWO (2) lenses: a Sigma 18-35; and. a Tamron 28-300. . .Indoor shots were hand-held without flash. I shot about 8 rolls of film (200+ pictures); and, every one turned out well. . .Most were much better than "well!" <smile>

I also recommend you bring some music. . .In particular, Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez;" and, Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain!" The Miles Davis work is especially GREAT if you are there at sunrise (overlooking the city!)

Coupled with the music I've recommended, you may even have an "out-of-body" experience! <smile>

Enjoy your trip. . .

By the way, if you plan on going to Toledo. . .Take in the the studio and home of El Greco. . .And, view his paintings of Jesus and the Twelve Disciples (in a special room of the cathedral, a hundred or so metres from his studio) These paintings are so well-preserved, that after 500+ years, they look as though you must have just missed the Master after he hung them just 10-15 minutes before you arrived! No cameras are allowed. . . <smile>

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 13:27:35   #
Selene03
 
I used a Canon 6d with a 16-35 f4 when I did the Alhambra night tour. I found the light a bit iffy though all my photos were pretty good. The 6d sees in the dark and the 16-35 f4 had IS so the combo worked pretty well. I was shooting at pretty high isos and getting very slow shutter speeds at f4, though I had no trouble because I was handholding the camera.

I agree with the recommendation on the hill towns. I also went to a gypsy den in Granada for flamengo, which was fabulous. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was featured in the New York Times a few years after I was there. They had a van that picked us up at the hotel. It provided beautiful views of the Alhambra and surrounding territory.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 15:38:16   #
LoStrunzo
 
If you can get to the Western side if the Alhambra, for reference there's a restaurant there. The Alhambra is bathed in lights and the vista is stunning from that side of the valley. Ate in the restaurant in 2003, but unfortunately, was on a business trip and didn't have a camera with me. Oh, if a couple of guys come to you and claim to be undercover police looking for counterfeit money and ask you to see your money tell'm to piss off. Its a scam. If they insist tell'm to call unformed police in a marked car. Tried it on me in Madrid during the same trip. They gave up quickly cause they didn't want attention a conflict would bring. Enjoy Spain, its a real treat.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 16:39:33   #
Gene51 (a regular here)
 
repleo wrote:
Thanks Gene.
I've gone through the Flickr pics and unfortunately there are very few night shots of the interior which leads me to believe it is a challenge. The best one is at F4.0; 1/30 sec but at ISO 10,000. I have a 24mm F1.4 on order. If it arrives in time I may switch to my A7Rii which would give me IBIS, better ISO and an extra stop.
However, the extra weight / bulk may mean leaving my underwear at home and going Commando for a week.


That will have to work.

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 21:38:45   #
Toment (a regular here)
 
TMI, repleo! 😀
Have fun!

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 22:39:40   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
Selene03 wrote:
I used a Canon 6d with a 16-35 f4 when I did the Alhambra night tour. I found the light a bit iffy though all my photos were pretty good. The 6d sees in the dark and the 16-35 f4 had IS so the combo worked pretty well. I was shooting at pretty high isos and getting very slow shutter speeds at f4, though I had no trouble because I was handholding the camera.

I agree with the recommendation on the hill towns. I also went to a gypsy den in Granada for flamengo, which was fabulous. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was featured in the New York Times a few years after I was there. They had a van that picked us up at the hotel. It provided beautiful views of the Alhambra and surrounding territory.
I used a Canon 6d with a 16-35 f4 when I did the A... (show quote)


Thanks for the exposure info Selene. I think you have persuaded me to bring the the A7Rii and all that entails. I read about the Gypsey / Flamenco dancing in Rick Steves. Its called Zambra. I'll try to take it in. We were in Savilla a couple of years ago and stumbled on a back alley speak-easy that was a hang out for students and local flamenco fans. I got this shot with a small compact I had in my pocket. It is technically awful but I think it really captures the the 'gravitas' of the art.


(Download)

| Reply
Mar 14, 2019 22:50:29   #
repleo (a regular here)
 
LoStrunzo wrote:
If you can get to the Western side if the Alhambra, for reference there's a restaurant there. The Alhambra is bathed in lights and the vista is stunning from that side of the valley. Ate in the restaurant in 2003, but unfortunately, was on a business trip and didn't have a camera with me. Oh, if a couple of guys come to you and claim to be undercover police looking for counterfeit money and ask you to see your money tell'm to piss off. Its a scam. If they insist tell'm to call unformed police in a marked car. Tried it on me in Madrid during the same trip. They gave up quickly cause they didn't want attention a conflict would bring. Enjoy Spain, its a real treat.
If you can get to the Western side if the Alhambra... (show quote)


Thanks for the suggestion. I think you are refering to the view from San Nicholas in the old Arab Albyzin neighborhood. I have that in my itinerary for the golden/blue hour. Thanks for the tip about the 'Ali Baba' cops.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.