Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Nikon Z sensor cleaning with Arctic Butterfly and related questions
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Feb 11, 2019 14:03:20   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
Anyone tried it?

I read that the sensor doesn’t really lock when camera is turned off: you have to remove battery. Can anyone confirm?

Is there a preferred camera orientation when running the “clean now” function?

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 14:22:08   #
MT Shooter
 
IDguy wrote:
Anyone tried it?

I read that the sensor doesn’t really lock when camera is turned off: you have to remove battery. Can anyone confirm?

Is there a preferred camera orientation when running the “clean now” function?


Personally I do not recommend using ANY of the sticky gel stick type cleaning pens on any IBIS camera.
I clean 3 to 10 camera sensors a week in my store and IBIS products always make me nervous as they can move no matter what you do or how careful you are. I use the Delkin swabs on everything and have done so for 8 years now with no issues.

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 14:26:23   #
mrjcall
 
MT Shooter wrote:
Personally I do not recommend using ANY of the sticky gel stick type cleaning pens on any IBIS camera.
I clean 3 to 10 camera sensors a week in my store and IBIS products always make me nervous as they can move no matter what you do or how careful you are. I use the Delkin swabs on everything and have done so for 8 years now with no issues.


Very simple to lock the Sony a7rII and a7rIII IBIS sensors for cleaning if you care to read up on it. LensPens for sensors works like a charm as well. Used on both my Sonys with no issues.

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 14:53:21   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
MT Shooter wrote:
Personally I do not recommend using ANY of the sticky gel stick type cleaning pens on any IBIS camera.
I clean 3 to 10 camera sensors a week in my store and IBIS products always make me nervous as they can move no matter what you do or how careful you are. I use the Delkin swabs on everything and have done so for 8 years now with no issues.


The Arctic Butterfly isn’t sticky gel. It gives the dry fibers an elctrostatic charge by spinning the brush. It worked well on my D800.

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 14:54:08   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
MT Shooter wrote:
Personally I do not recommend using ANY of the sticky gel stick type cleaning pens on any IBIS camera.
I clean 3 to 10 camera sensors a week in my store and IBIS products always make me nervous as they can move no matter what you do or how careful you are. I use the Delkin swabs on everything and have done so for 8 years now with no issues.


Used them on Nikon Z cameras yet?

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 14:55:30   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
mrjcall wrote:
Very simple to lock the Sony a7rII and a7rIII IBIS sensors for cleaning if you care to read up on it. LensPens for sensors works like a charm as well. Used on both my Sonys with no issues.


Not relevant. Nikon simply says not to try and clean the Z sensors. Their system may differ from Sony.

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 14:57:00   #
MT Shooter
 
IDguy wrote:
Used them on Nikon Z cameras yet?


Several times

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 15:59:46   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
MT Shooter wrote:
Several times


Good to know. Thanks.

Gives me some confidence that Arctic Butterfly won’t be a problem.

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 16:11:26   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
Anyone have a view on how to best orient the camera to use the internal sensor cleaning? I’m thinking of taking the lens off and facing it down so any dust can fall out. I understand the shutter is open when the lens is off. I know it is when the camera is turned off.

BTW, the dust doesn’t show at modest fstops, e.g. f8. Shows at f16 and more at f18.

| Reply
Feb 11, 2019 16:51:52   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
Found this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8IPFRMX9EQ

So I’m not the only one with the issue. Think I’ll forgo the spit method and try more blowing.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2019 10:39:41   #
Tinker
 
I tried sensor cleaning on my new Z6 while watching this and found it required only about 6 seconds. No problems with dirt before or after, however.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2019 10:45:22   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
Tinker wrote:
I tried sensor cleaning on my new Z6 while watching this and found it required only about 6 seconds. No problems with dirt before or after, however.


Did you test w image of sky @f18 and zoomed image? I was surprised at how much there was on my sensor after less than three months of modest use. It isn’t easy to see looking at sensor.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2019 11:01:43   #
Tinker
 
Not so far, but I will if and when I note that a problem exists. No point in asking for trouble - I screw things up enough without doing it on purpose!! Answer to your question, however: I shot at f22 at the computer screen turned up bright.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2019 16:15:03   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
Tinker wrote:
Not so far, but I will if and when I note that a problem exists. No point in asking for trouble - I screw things up enough without doing it on purpose!! Answer to your question, however: I shot at f22 at the computer screen turned up bright.


That should show the dust on the image. But you have to zoom way in on the camera LCD to see the spots. I first noticed them in the sky on an image I shot at f22...but not till progected on my 21 inch monitor.

| Reply
Feb 12, 2019 18:15:03   #
IDguy (a regular here)
 
The Arctic Butterfly did the job and got rid of 90% of the remainder. There is one spot it hasn’t picked up but I’ll wait on that for another day.

I am not convinced that the camera follows the b2 instruction to clean on shutdown. When manually cleaning the screen shows a message and makes a click while it is going on. Neither happen when you turn the camera off with the (totally misleading) setting that is supposed to enable cleaning on shutdown.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.