Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Nikon 200-500 f/5.6EED VR Lens
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: <<prev 1 2
Feb 3, 2019 17:19:39   #
dmdpeterdmd
 
I have taken several lenses to Brazil - the Amazon - and when I returned, my Nikon 500mmf/4 lens had fungus as a result of the high humidity there. Learned my lesson - the lens was cleaned - not cheap - however, when traveling in high humidity geographic areas, safety precautions should be taken, such as plastic bag sealing them when not in use, and using desiccants in the storage bags.

| Reply
Feb 3, 2019 18:35:19   #
moonhawk
 
Jamers wrote:
I have been looking at this lens and have seen 200-500E PF and 200-500 ED VR. I shoot with a Nikon D800E, will either of these lens work? Also considering the prime 500 5.6.


They are both the same lens. People tend to abbreviate Nikon's rather cumbersome designations. Nikon only makes one 200-500 lens.

| Reply
Feb 4, 2019 00:30:54   #
racerrich3
 
rdusso wrote:
I am looking at purchasing the Nikon 200-500 lens. My concern is that it is not weather sealed and I shot a lot at the dirt race track during the summer; which obviously is dusty.

Who out here has this lens and is the non-weather seal an issue?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby


i have it and shoot at my local speedway in the grandstands. the only problem is the lens doesn't like the burnt rubber smell. :-)

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 01:19:05   #
Dossile
 
My 200-500 has been on two very dusty safaris, one to Kenya with me, another to Tanzania with my son, plus shorter trips throughout the west. I covered it with a neoprene sleeve to protect it from dings, brushed it off routinely and protected the glass with a clear filter. After 1 1/2 yrs, it works like new. I just did the post processing for my son and he had some phenomenal shots of Tanzania using my old but still very good Nikon D300S. When I checked to make sure it focused and zoomed smoothly after his trip, I had no sense of internal grit or catching and there was no internal dirt when I pixel peeped on a white background. I really like the lens. It isn’t on my camera a ton, but when it is, I enjoy the handling and the results.

| Reply
Feb 5, 2019 06:18:20   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
Dossile wrote:
My 200-500 has been on two very dusty safaris, one to Kenya with me, another to Tanzania with my son, plus shorter trips throughout the west. I covered it with a neoprene sleeve to protect it from dings, brushed it off routinely and protected the glass with a clear filter. After 1 1/2 yrs, it works like new. I just did the post processing for my son and he had some phenomenal shots of Tanzania using my old but still very good Nikon D300S. When I checked to make sure it focused and zoomed smoothly after his trip, I had no sense of internal grit or catching and there was no internal dirt when I pixel peeped on a white background. I really like the lens. It isn’t on my camera a ton, but when it is, I enjoy the handling and the results.
My 200-500 has been on two very dusty safaris, one... (show quote)



| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 14:46:11   #
cambriaman (a regular here)
 
I own one and am very pleased with the IQ, build quality and operation. The VR supports hand-holding very well.
I can't comment on the weather sealing.

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 17:35:04   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
cambriaman wrote:
I own one and am very pleased with the IQ, build quality and operation. The VR supports hand-holding very well.
I can't comment on the weather sealing.


The lens is not weather sealed like the gold circled Nikon lenses. But, I do not take images in the rain, mist, or on the beach. I have used my 200-500 over three years and see not dust inside the lens body.
Takes great images. The following was a grab shot with this lens on the Nikon D500.



| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 19:05:42   #
SusanFromVermont
 
billnikon wrote:
The lens is not weather sealed like the gold circled Nikon lenses. But, I do not take images in the rain, mist, or on the beach. I have used my 200-500 over three years and see not dust inside the lens body.
Takes great images. The following was a grab shot with this lens on the Nikon D500.

Beautiful capture! Was it on a tripod or hand-held? I'm hoping I will eventually be able to take photos with mine hand-held, at least during bright daylight conditions where I can get a fast shutter speed. Of course the VR will help, too.

| Reply
Feb 7, 2019 22:46:56   #
chipdog902
 
Amazing! I am in such awe of all the bird (for lack of better vocab.) photos on this site. The crisp and saturated.

| Reply
Feb 8, 2019 06:25:43   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
SusanFromVermont wrote:
Beautiful capture! Was it on a tripod or hand-held? I'm hoping I will eventually be able to take photos with mine hand-held, at least during bright daylight conditions where I can get a fast shutter speed. Of course the VR will help, too.


I hand hold all my shoots of birds in flight. The key is to practice panning, keep your camera down when not shooting, using GROUP AUTO FOCUS, continuous auto focus, center weighted metering, at least 1/1500 sec. or higher, I use f 6.3 as a go to f stop.

| Reply
Feb 8, 2019 06:26:44   #
billnikon (a regular here)
 
chipdog902 wrote:
Amazing! I am in such awe of all the bird (for lack of better vocab.) photos on this site. The crisp and saturated.


This was not my first attempt. Practice, practice, read, practice.

| Reply
Page: <<prev 1 2
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.