Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Where's the grain
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Dec 8, 2018 12:20:06   #
jonjacobik
 
I was going through some photos I took in July when I stumbled across this one. This direct from the raw file without an post.
When I noticed the EXIF data: ISO 8000, 1/1000, Tamron 150-600@600. My camera is a D7500.

I must have been playing with auto-iso because I'd never go above 1000 before sunset.

I was in forested area with a open field behind the birds.

Why is this nearly perfect - I'll frame in post and why is there almost no grain at all?


(Download)

| Reply
Dec 8, 2018 12:32:31   #
SonyA580
 
If you do the double download, you'll see plenty of grain. It's still a nice shot considering it was shot a ISO 8000.

| Reply
Dec 8, 2018 12:40:17   #
Linda From Maine (a regular here)
 
SonyA580 wrote:
If you do the double download, you'll see plenty of grain...
Yep, I agree. And that observation speaks to the question, "What is important in a photograph?" (each photographer must answer that question for themselves.) Without pixel peeping, I find this to be a very engaging image!

| Reply
Dec 8, 2018 17:50:40   #
speters (a regular here)
 
jonjacobik wrote:
I was going through some photos I took in July when I stumbled across this one. This direct from the raw file without an post.
When I noticed the EXIF data: ISO 8000, 1/1000, Tamron 150-600@600. My camera is a D7500.

I must have been playing with auto-iso because I'd never go above 1000 before sunset.

I was in forested area with a open field behind the birds.

Why is this nearly perfect - I'll frame in post and why is there almost no grain at all?

Where is the grain? Well this is one of the noisiest/graniest images I have ever seen!

| Reply
Dec 8, 2018 19:47:07   #
kpmac (a regular here)
 
A very nice image.

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 06:21:36   #
Jimmy T
 
Linda From Maine wrote:
Yep, I agree. And that observation speaks to the question, "What is important in a photograph?" (each photographer must answer that question for themselves.) Without pixel peeping, I find this to be a very engaging image!



| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 07:12:57   #
foathog
 
speters wrote:
Where is the grain? Well this is one of the noisiest/graniest images I have ever seen!


I agree. magnify it. there's plenty of it.

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 08:19:51   #
Delderby (a regular here)
 
jonjacobik wrote:
I was going through some photos I took in July when I stumbled across this one. This direct from the raw file without an post.
When I noticed the EXIF data: ISO 8000, 1/1000, Tamron 150-600@600. My camera is a D7500.

I must have been playing with auto-iso because I'd never go above 1000 before sunset.

I was in forested area with a open field behind the birds.

Why is this nearly perfect - I'll frame in post and why is there almost no grain at all?


Plenty of grain at 100%. Shallow DOF doesn't really make it perfect. Must have some auto PP to convert pic for posting. If it were me I could not have resisted doing a full PP job on it.

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 08:33:53   #
OnDSnap (a regular here)
 
I see plenty of noise...

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 08:44:50   #
CPR
 
Nice photo. It's digital so there is no grain. There is quite a bit of noise if you zoom in close enough.

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 09:18:30   #
jonjacobik
 
I have done a full pp. it wasn’t appropriate for this discussion. I know there is grain at full size, but not much on screen size.

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 09:48:16   #
OnDSnap (a regular here)
 
jonjacobik wrote:
I have done a full pp. it wasn’t appropriate for this discussion. I know there is grain at full size, but not much on screen size.


If you plan on printing it bigger than say 8x10, I'd be concerned. For the internet /social medias like FB, Instagram etc., I wouldn't be that concerned.

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 09:54:00   #
AzPicLady (a regular here)
 
It's a beautiful image when seen at this size. Granted there's noise when enlarged. I'm not sure I'd like the noise in a print, but on the screen it's OK.

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 09:55:31   #
StanMac (a regular here)
 
Linda From Maine wrote:
Yep, I agree. And that observation speaks to the question, "What is important in a photograph?" (each photographer must answer that question for themselves.) Without pixel peeping, I find this to be a very engaging image!


👍👍👍!

Stan

| Reply
Dec 9, 2018 10:21:11   #
jonjacobik
 
A little bit of post, a crop to center it, a little noise removal, and ISO 8000 makes a pretty good photo. If you asked me last week, I would have said impossible. It's good to be wrong sometimes and this old dog has learned a new trick. Thanks everyone.


(Download)

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.