Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Are we suppose to quote reply on top or on the bottom
Page 1 of 2 next>
Oct 10, 2011 16:59:00   #
Country's Mama Loc: Michigan
 
When there is a conversation going are we suppose to quote from the top or the bottom of the quote. When you go to the bottom it is hard to figure out who is saying what, but when you put your post in at the top you have to read from bottom up, but can easily figure out who is saying what. What is the proper way to do this.
I have been doing it both and think I like posting on top of the quote.

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 17:12:44   #
notnoBuddha
 
Geez - is there a rule for this too? I don't know, but I think I'm confused. See below.



Country's Mama wrote:
When there is a conversation going are we suppose to quote from the top or the bottom of the quote. When you go to the bottom it is hard to figure out who is saying what, but when you put your post in at the top you have to read from bottom up, but can easily figure out who is saying what. What is the proper way to do this.
I have been doing it both and think I like posting on top of the quote.



Geez - is there a rule for this too? I don't know, but I think I'm confused. See above.

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 17:36:21   #
Country's Mama Loc: Michigan
 
I think we are all confused as I see it done both ways.

Reply
 
 
Oct 10, 2011 17:46:54   #
bobmielke Loc: Portland, OR
 
Country's Mama wrote:
When there is a conversation going are we suppose to quote from the top or the bottom of the quote. When you go to the bottom it is hard to figure out who is saying what, but when you put your post in at the top you have to read from bottom up, but can easily figure out who is saying what. What is the proper way to do this.
I have been doing it both and think I like posting on top of the quote.


This is the only forum I've ever seen that uses this type of quote system. It's horribly confusing. I have resorted to starting fresh with a copy/paste version that addresses the quoted person directly. It's a bit more work but a whole lot less confusing.

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 17:56:24   #
JimH Loc: Western South Jersey, USA
 
Internet forum tradition dictates the quoted post goes at the top, and your reply below it. I don't find it all that confusing, but I've been doing this junk since about 1985.. Also, it's probably only necessary to quote the most recent post, not the entire thread.

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 18:13:46   #
notnoBuddha
 
JimH wrote:
Internet forum tradition dictates the quoted post goes at the top, and your reply below it. I don't find it all that confusing, but I've been doing this junk since about 1985.. Also, it's probably only necessary to quote the most recent post, not the entire thread.


I believe what some may find confusing is that often people assume the last reply is in regard to the previous post. If that part that one is remarking on is not quoted many assume it is in regard to the previous post, and if it was not it leaves some wondering what "was that supposed to mean?" If what is being replied to is quoted at the top or bottom it seems to make it easy to follow. I think maybe, but I am often wrong.

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 19:48:32   #
JimH Loc: Western South Jersey, USA
 
Exactly.

Reply
 
 
Oct 10, 2011 19:49:16   #
FredD Loc: Eastern Shore/Chesapeake Bay area
 
notnoBuddha wrote:
JimH wrote:
Internet forum tradition dictates the quoted post goes at the top, and your reply below it. I don't find it all that confusing, but I've been doing this junk since about 1985.. Also, it's probably only necessary to quote the most recent post, not the entire thread.


I believe what some may find confusing is that often people assume the last reply is in regard to the previous post. If that part that one is remarking on is not quoted many assume it is in regard to the previous post, and if it was not it leaves some wondering what "was that supposed to mean?" If what is being replied to is quoted at the top or bottom it seems to make it easy to follow. I think maybe, but I am often wrong.
quote=JimH Internet forum tradition dictates the ... (show quote)


I clicked "quote reply" to your notnobuddha post. Does this clear things up or would "reply" be more appropriate?

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 19:52:18   #
JimH Loc: Western South Jersey, USA
 
Yes, and no.

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 19:55:50   #
SQUIRL033 Loc: Chehalis, WA
 
JimH wrote:
Internet forum tradition dictates the quoted post goes at the top, and your reply below it. I don't find it all that confusing, but I've been doing this junk since about 1985.. Also, it's probably only necessary to quote the most recent post, not the entire thread.


i've been using similar quoting systems for some time as well, and i also always add my comments at the bottom, so it's like reading down a page. it's not really confusing, just takes a bit of thought and maybe some getting used to...

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 19:59:29   #
LongHair Loc: Where the sea meets the shore.
 
the definitive answer is yes....enjoy

Reply
 
 
Oct 10, 2011 21:22:17   #
Country's Mama Loc: Michigan
 
I believe what some may find confusing is that often people assume the last reply is in regard to the previous post. If that part that one is remarking on is not quoted many assume it is in regard to the previous post, and if it was not it leaves some wondering what "was that supposed to mean?" If what is being replied to is quoted at the top or bottom it seems to make it easy to follow. I think maybe, but I am often wrong.[/quote]
I think I have it. I find it confusing because the box is around a different name then the person doing the talking.

Reply
Oct 10, 2011 21:23:40   #
Country's Mama Loc: Michigan
 
Country's Mama wrote:
I believe what some may find confusing is that often people assume the last reply is in regard to the previous post. If that part that one is remarking on is not quoted many assume it is in regard to the previous post, and if it was not it leaves some wondering what "was that supposed to mean?" If what is being replied to is quoted at the top or bottom it seems to make it easy to follow. I think maybe, but I am often wrong.

I think I have it. I find it confusing because the box is around a different name then the person doing the talking.[/quote]

Obviously I don't have it I just messed that one up.

Reply
Oct 28, 2011 13:47:24   #
lesws Loc: Colorado
 
This is the reply

Reply
Oct 28, 2011 13:48:07   #
lesws Loc: Colorado
 
This is the quote reply

Obviously I don't have it I just messed that one up.[/quote]

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2022 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.