Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Neewer Battery Grip
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Sep 1, 2017 09:13:06   #
brent46
 
I am considering purchasing a Neewer Battery Grip for doing video with my D7100. My concern is whether the tripod socket is sturdy enough to support the camera and lens. Does anyone have any experience with these Battery Grips? Any additional pros or cons?

| Reply
Sep 1, 2017 09:16:45   #
orrie smith
 
brent46 wrote:
I am considering purchasing a Neewer Battery Grip for doing video with my D7100. My concern is whether the tripod socket is sturdy enough to support the camera and lens. Does anyone have any experience with these Battery Grips? Any additional pros or cons?


I owned one and after about 6 month, the tripod socket came loose and I could not find a way to reset it. One possible solution would be to put a plate on it that may last longer.

| Reply
Sep 1, 2017 10:09:20   #
Dngallagher (a regular here)
 
brent46 wrote:
I am considering purchasing a Neewer Battery Grip for doing video with my D7100. My concern is whether the tripod socket is sturdy enough to support the camera and lens. Does anyone have any experience with these Battery Grips? Any additional pros or cons?


I have used Neewer grips on my D7100, and I have switched to a genuine NIKON grip - yes, a Nikon grip is not cheap, but it looks and works perfectly, and like the D7100 has a magnesium skeleton under the plastic....

WHAT does the Neewer have under the plastic I wonder? :)

Looking at it another way, doesn't your 1,000.00 D7100 deserve at least a $200.00 battery grip that also keeps you fully under warranty?

I have zero complaints using my D7100 with my Nikon Battery Grip over many years.

Honestly, I would worry every time a cheap knock off grip was used to mount camera and lens on a tripod - enough so that I would attach a safety cable just in case. After switching to the OEM grip, no worries.

And as soon as I moved to my current Canon EOS 80D, I ordered a genuine Canon grip for it, never even considered looking at a 3rd party brand.

| Reply
Sep 2, 2017 10:47:56   #
WorldTraveler
 
I have a Targus grip for my Nikon D60 (5years) and one labled Vertical Grip for my D5500 (1 year). No issues with either.

Clint

| Reply
Sep 2, 2017 11:11:12   #
Draw865
 
I had the Neewer battery grip for a D7000 briefly. Mine tended to loosen no matter how tight I tried to make it. It worked otherwise, but I let it go when I sold the camera.

| Reply
Sep 2, 2017 13:03:05   #
aellman (a regular here)
 
brent46 wrote:
I am considering purchasing a Neewer Battery Grip for doing video with my D7100. My concern is whether the tripod socket is sturdy enough to support the camera and lens. Does anyone have any experience with these Battery Grips? Any additional pros or cons?


Neewer is a low priced, low quality brand. You get what you pay for. >Alan

| Reply
Sep 2, 2017 13:04:49   #
Dngallagher (a regular here)
 
aellman wrote:
Neewer is a low priced, low quality brand. You get what you pay for. >Alan



| Reply
Sep 2, 2017 13:24:48   #
photoman022
 
My problem with Neewer battery grips was that the batteries drained when the camera was not in use. I am not writing about long periods of time when the camera was not in use; I would put a freshly recharged battery in the grip and the next day it would be down by 1/4; it quickly drained when I took photos.

| Reply
Sep 2, 2017 13:50:25   #
Dngallagher (a regular here)
 
photoman022 wrote:
My problem with Neewer battery grips was that the batteries drained when the camera was not in use. I am not writing about long periods of time when the camera was not in use; I would put a freshly recharged battery in the grip and the next day it would be down by 1/4; it quickly drained when I took photos.


Yes indeed...

FWIW - Saw that when I had a Neewer grip on my D7100, also noted that the green activity light would lightup when the camera was just sitting on the shelf, when turned off - like a battery was connected/disconnected - which I suspected is what was happening - switched to a NIkon grip, no more random light when turned off, not once, and batteries lasted longer it seemed.

Don't see any indication of an issue with my Canon grip on my 80d either.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.