Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Need Real Leather Camera Case and strap for Panasonic LX10 camera
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Aug 1, 2017 00:55:14   #
jackcorbett
 
I've searched Ebay, Amazon, etc and cannot find what I need. I have purchased not 1 but 2 PU (faux) Leather cases for 2 Panasonic LX7 cameras from Megagear at Amazon, but both fell apart within a year. I then bought 2 genuine leather cases for the 2 LX7 cameras from Ebay. They were around $100 each, but they are beautiful and have been holding up well.

Best solution I can come up with so far are the genuine leather half cases made by Garitz. These are around $100.00. One of these would dress up the camera nicely while improving the grip on the LX10 (which is not as bad as some reviews make the LX10 out when they compare it to a wet bar of soap). Other genuine leather half cases look cheap. Typical Chinese style as they don't cover nearly as much of the front of the camera as the Garitz (from the pictures).

In my opinion one defect in the Lx10's design is the mounting system for a shoulder strap or wrist strap. The eye holes are so minuscule that one can get not much more than a paper clip into them. The LX7 does not have this problem. So even if I were to buy the Garitz half case, finding a quality neck strap has also been a real challenge for me.

The LX10 comes with a wrist strap (that probably won't last long.) It also comes with a small case that can be hung from the neck. But the stitching that secures the neck straps to this bag has already started to fail on one side, which my girlfriend has been able to temporarily repair for me.

I don't get Panasonic's pushing these wrist straps for the LX10. I want the camera to be hanging from my neck, well protected, and ready to use. I live in Thailand and I'm on a motorcycle every day. These wrist straps simply do not get it.

This design is what I really need. https://www.amazon.com/MegaGear-Ready-Panasonic-Leather-Camera/dp/B06WGLMLT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501562718&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Panasonic+Lx10+leather+case&psc=1

I can hang the camera from my neck and quickly access it. It offers a lot of protection. But it's made from PU leather which from my experience will absolutely not hold up.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 01:07:32   #
BHC
 
If you want a lifetime case and money is no issue, buy one of the cheap cases, then take it and your camera to a real shoemaker/bootmaker (not a repair shop) and ask him to duplicate it with quality materials. You'll have a case that fits better, last longer and probably costs more than your camera. BTW, good luck finding a REAL shoemaker/bootmaker; they still exist, but are rare. Note that a GOOD saddle maker or holster maker may be able to do the job.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 01:43:42   #
jackcorbett
 
Many thanks. One problem for me is I live in Thailand. I can buy nearly everything here, but finding reputable people for something like this is going to be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Also I expect that I will be replacing the LX10 in 2-3 years. I originally bought a Panasonic LX5. Which was a great camera then. But the LX7 was significantly better. The LX7 is still a great camera but it will come nowhere close to my Nikon D750, especially with some of the terrific lenses I have for it. The LX10 offers significantly more resolution and other abilities to what I get from the LX7. It narrows the gap between the Lx7 and the Nikon. It does an especially fine job for video, especially in low light. But I still feel naked without my Nikon D750.

| Reply
Aug 1, 2017 03:09:32   #
| Reply
Aug 2, 2017 07:31:32   #
Kmgw9v (a regular here)
 
I have had a Garitz half-case on my Nikon Df for three years. Still looks good and provides some degree of protection.

| Reply
Aug 2, 2017 07:45:15   #
Elsiss
 
$19.99 from you know who-B and H. Not Panny brand. Check it out.

| Reply
Aug 2, 2017 07:54:16   #
hj
 
If this design is what you need why not just use the cheaper design? At $30 you can buy three or more for the cost of an expensive case. And, you mentioned in a subsequent post that you will probably only keep the LX10 for about 3 years. Why get an expensive case for a short term AND why would you want your system to look expensive when you are tooling around Thailand???

jackcorbett wrote:
I've searched Ebay, Amazon, etc and cannot find what I need. I have purchased not 1 but 2 PU (faux) Leather cases for 2 Panasonic LX7 cameras from Megagear at Amazon, but both fell apart within a year. I then bought 2 genuine leather cases for the 2 LX7 cameras from Ebay. They were around $100 each, but they are beautiful and have been holding up well.

I don't get Panasonic's pushing these wrist straps for the LX10. I want the camera to be hanging from my neck, well protected, and ready to use. I live in Thailand and I'm on a motorcycle every day. These wrist straps simply do not get it.

This design is what I really need. https://www.amazon.com/MegaGear-Ready-Panasonic-Leather-Camera/dp/B06WGLMLT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501562718&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Panasonic+Lx10+leather+case&psc=1

I can hang the camera from my neck and quickly access it. It offers a lot of protection. But it's made from PU leather which from my experience will absolutely not hold up.
I've searched Ebay, Amazon, etc and cannot find wh... (show quote)

| Reply
Aug 2, 2017 09:34:57   #
markie1425
 
jackcorbett wrote:
...finding a quality neck strap has also been a real challenge for me.

The LX10 comes with a wrist strap (that probably won't last long.) It also comes with a small case that can be hung from the neck. But the stitching that secures the neck straps to this bag has already started to fail on one side, which my girlfriend has been able to temporarily repair for me.

I don't get Panasonic's pushing these wrist straps for the LX10. I want the camera to be hanging from my neck, well protected, and ready to use. I live in Thailand and I'm on a motorcycle every day. These wrist straps simply do not get it.
...finding a quality neck strap has also been a re... (show quote)


I am quite pleased with the Polish made Sailor Strap for my Lumix LX100. I have the Lieutenant model. Just make sure to get the proper length because they are non-adjustable.

That's me, dressed for the brutal Phuket winter.
--



| Reply
Aug 2, 2017 11:14:37   #
BebuLamar (a regular here)
 
jackcorbett wrote:
Many thanks. One problem for me is I live in Thailand. I can buy nearly everything here, but finding reputable people for something like this is going to be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Also I expect that I will be replacing the LX10 in 2-3 years. I originally bought a Panasonic LX5. Which was a great camera then. But the LX7 was significantly better. The LX7 is still a great camera but it will come nowhere close to my Nikon D750, especially with some of the terrific lenses I have for it. The LX10 offers significantly more resolution and other abilities to what I get from the LX7. It narrows the gap between the Lx7 and the Nikon. It does an especially fine job for video, especially in low light. But I still feel naked without my Nikon D750.
Many thanks. One problem for me is I live in Thai... (show quote)


I am surprised that you can't find reputable person in Thailand to make you a case and strap. In the US if you want someone to make you such a thing it would cost you big time. People don't repair cheap shoes in the US and the shoe repairer in the US would charge a lot.

| Reply
Aug 2, 2017 15:49:18   #
Wanderer2
 
My son has a small business doing handcrafted, custom leather items. I don't know if he's ever done camera cases but I'm sure if you sent a non-leather one he could copy it in leather. It wouldn't be cheap compared to mass produced items but he might be able to supply what you want.

His website: mattesonleatherworks.etsy.com

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.