Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
European River Cruise
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
Oct 26, 2016 21:58:01   #
desperante
 
Planning on using Canon Sl1 with 18-55 mm lens and 75-300 mm lens. Also bringing a tripod. Budapest to Amsterdam route. If anyone has been on a tour such as this, I could use some pointers and tips. Thank you.

| Reply
Oct 26, 2016 22:30:19   #
Tom2272
 
Lots to see and photograph. I used a Sigma 18 - 250 on my Canon 70D when we went from Amsterdam to Budapest on Uniworld a couple of years ago. The two lens you are taking will serve you well. The 18 - 55 in town on tours and the 75-300 from the ship. Lots of castles along the way. I didn't take a tripod. It should work for you as the water is smooth and little to no vibration from the boat. Take something to protect your gear from the rain. Oh, and watch your head when going under the bridges. Enjoy.

| Reply
Oct 26, 2016 23:05:00   #
desperante
 
Tom2272 wrote:
Lots to see and photograph. I used a Sigma 18 - 250 on my Canon 70D when we went from Amsterdam to Budapest on Uniworld a couple of years ago. The two lens you are taking will serve you well. The 18 - 55 in town on tours and the 75-300 from the ship. Lots of castles along the way. I didn't take a tripod. It should work for you as the water is smooth and little to no vibration from the boat. Take something to protect your gear from the rain. Oh, and watch your head when going under the bridges. Enjoy.
Lots to see and photograph. I used a Sigma 18 - 2... (show quote)


Thank you Tom. I suppose it'll be raining around this time and the river will be higher causing the boat to be closer to the bridges. Have to think about gear protection, thank you for bringing that up.

| Reply
Oct 26, 2016 23:10:14   #
neco
 
We went from Vienna to Amsterdam. I took the Canon SX50...light, pretty good zoom, and darn good quality. After about five days, the stops began to run into each other, but I took many, many pictures and still enjoy looking at them. The castles, rural scenes along the rivers, the colorful buildings, the WW II sites in Germany, and just sitting on the top of the boat and watching the world go by. I wish good weather for you. Post some of the shots when you get back.

| Reply
Oct 26, 2016 23:56:34   #
desperante
 
neco wrote:
We went from Vienna to Amsterdam. I took the Canon SX50...light, pretty good zoom, and darn good quality. After about five days, the stops began to run into each other, but I took many, many pictures and still enjoy looking at them. The castles, rural scenes along the rivers, the colorful buildings, the WW II sites in Germany, and just sitting on the top of the boat and watching the world go by. I wish good weather for you. Post some of the shots when you get back.


I will take lots of photos and post some here. Thank you so much.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 01:05:28   #
rgrenaderphoto (a regular here)
 
Consider a monopod, which is easier to carry. Also, in certain museums and cultural sites in Europe, if they see you with a Tripod or monopod, they assume you are a Professional and you need to buy a permit.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 01:06:11   #
Keldon
 
I've driven a great deal of that route several times. The stretch of the Rhine in Germany between Cologne and Frankfurt has the majority of castles you will see, quite often with two or more in sight at the same time on opposite sides of the river. Be sure to wander the park at the junction of the Rhine and the Mosel rivers at Koblenz if you have the opportunity. There's an amazing monument there.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 02:42:36   #
desperante
 
I'm planning to use the tripod on the boat. I'm not sure about safety using tripod in town. Thank you about bringing up a possible permit.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 02:44:17   #
desperante
 
Can't wait to see that monument. Thanks.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 05:37:15   #
Leicaflex
 
If you have one, take a circular polarising filter with you.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 06:41:52   #
johneccles (a regular here)
 
I have been on few river cruises and the advice I would give you is to take all that camera and kit but leave the tripod at home it will just get in the way.
Most tripods occupy enough floor space for two or three people and could easily get knocked by other people looking at the same thing that you are.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 06:42:31   #
Jrhoffman75
 
I have traveled on both the Viking Danube trip and Rhine trip. No one used a tripod on either trip.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 07:36:09   #
dsnoke
 
desperante wrote:
Planning on using Canon Sl1 with 18-55 mm lens and 75-300 mm lens. Also bringing a tripod. Budapest to Amsterdam route. If anyone has been on a tour such as this, I could use some pointers and tips. Thank you.


I did that same itinerary in 2015. My camera was a Nikon D7100. I took my 18-105mm and 55-300mm lenses, but used only the first of them. Things are so close to you that you won't need more than 85-100mm of zoom. With your lenses, you'll need both, but only the first 25-30mm of the long lens. Even out on the river, you're not a long way from the banks, perhaps a couple hundred feet at most.

One interesting photographic event: As we departed Budapest in the evening after sunset, the buildings were all very nicely lit. However, shooting in low light, on an unstable platform while moving was, to say the least, a bit tricky. In particular, there was not enough contrast for auto-focus. I used ISO 3200, 1/50 sec at f/5 while manually focusing. I did get a few nice shots, but wanted a lot more.

Enjoy the trip. It is great fun.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 08:00:26   #
Mdh
 
Went from Prague to Budapest. Caught ship at Linz, Austria. Did not take a tripod...would have just gotten in the way. The ship on the Danube cruised smoothly enough not to need one. Most of the museums we went to allowed no photography at all.

| Reply
Oct 27, 2016 08:39:49   #
Buildrt
 
We took the viking cruise and there was no room for a tripid most of the time, even at 5:00 in the morning. I took my little Nikon P510 and it served me very well. I did use the long lens extensively as we moved along the river taking shots of people working the vineyards and of castles etc. on the hills.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.