Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Sigma 1.4X Tele Converter TC-1401
Aug 18, 2015 00:10:32   #
hpucker99 Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
 
Has anyone tried Sigma's teleconverter for their new 150-600 lenses? I came across the Sigma Sigma 1.4X Tele Converter TC-1401 for Nikon and Canon that is designed for the following lenses:

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens

Here is the link to B&H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082354-REG/sigma_tc_1401_1_4x_teleconverter_for.html

Aug 18, 2015 07:27:18   #
Capture48 Loc: Arizona
 
hpucker99 wrote:
Has anyone tried Sigma's teleconverter for their new 150-600 lenses? I came across the Sigma Sigma 1.4X Tele Converter TC-1401 for Nikon and Canon that is designed for the following lenses:

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens

Here is the link to B&H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082354-REG/sigma_tc_1401_1_4x_teleconverter_for.html


Anytime you put a TC in front of your camera you will take a dive in photo quality. AS long as you understand that you will wind up with soft photos your OK. Others will tell you that you won't notice the difference, this normally means they don't know how to tell the difference, but there is always a difference in photo quality.

A 1.4 TC will cost you at least 1 stop of light. The bottom 2 lenses you mention require at least 5.6 to autofocus, so you will lose auto-focus, or if they do work, they will not work reliably. You don't say what kind of camera you have, but manual focusing those lenses on a APS-C camera at those ranges will be practically impossible for most amateur photographers. The TC will probably work best on the first lens in your list, at 2.8 there is room.

TC's were really meant for Prime lenses. There are ways to fool your camera so it does not know there is a TC attached, and results may vary. You will probably get better results with Sigma TC on Sigma lenses combinations you mention however.

Aug 18, 2015 08:53:50   #
MT Shooter Loc: Montana
 
hpucker99 wrote:
Has anyone tried Sigma's teleconverter for their new 150-600 lenses? I came across the Sigma Sigma 1.4X Tele Converter TC-1401 for Nikon and Canon that is designed for the following lenses:

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens

Here is the link to B&H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082354-REG/sigma_tc_1401_1_4x_teleconverter_for.html


It does work well with them and WILL maintain AF with the 150-600 lenses when used on one of the many bodies that will AF to F8, of which there are many.

 
 
Aug 18, 2015 09:24:38   #
Capture48 Loc: Arizona
 
MT Shooter wrote:
It does work well with them and WILL maintain AF with the 150-600 lenses when used on one of the many bodies that will AF to F8, of which there are many.


If MT is correct (and I have no reason to think he isn't) you may get better results than me. I have the Sigma 1.4 that I use on Primes, and I did throw it on my 50-500 4.5-6.3 Sigma, and got very inconsistent results with slow focus. Although not a large investment, I might try to rent before buying. Too bad you are not in my area, I'd even let you use to see how you liked it, and test your results. After reading MT's info, I may try cleaning the contacts and give the 50-500 a try again, but I'm not very optimistic.

Still the OP does not say what body he is using, I'm still curious.

Aug 18, 2015 09:29:23   #
MT Shooter Loc: Montana
 
Capture48 wrote:
If MT is correct (and I have no reason to think he isn't) you may get better results than me. I have the Sigma 1.4 that I use on Primes, and I did throw it on my 50-500 4.5-6.3 Sigma, and got very inconsistent results with slow focus. Although not a large investment, I might try to rent before buying. Too bad you are not in my area, I'd even let you use to see how you liked it, and test your results. After reading MT's info, I may try cleaning the contacts and give the 50-500 a try again, but I'm not very optimistic.

Still the OP does not say what body he is using, I'm still curious.
If MT is correct (and I have no reason to think he... (show quote)


You are discussing totally different lenses AND different TC's than the OP is referencing. Your combo will not AF as it is much older technology.

Aug 18, 2015 12:34:00   #
hpucker99 Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
 
Thank you for the comments.

I found out that Lensrental rents this teleconverter, so I am having it sent to me to try for a week.

Aug 18, 2015 12:34:38   #
hpucker99 Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
 
hpucker99 wrote:
Thank you for the comments.

I found out that Lensrental rents this teleconverter, so I am having it sent to me to try for a week.


The camera body is the D750.

 
 
Aug 19, 2015 11:27:42   #
MtnMan Loc: ID
 
Capture48 wrote:
The bottom 2 lenses you mention require at least 5.6 to autofocus, so you will lose auto-focus, or if they do work, they will not work reliably.


Depends on the camera. Nikon D8xx and other recent ones work down to f8.

Aug 19, 2015 11:28:06   #
MtnMan Loc: ID
 
hpucker99 wrote:
The camera body is the D750.


Should work fine with all the lenses.

Apr 25, 2020 20:19:20   #
Drbobcameraguy Loc: Eaton Ohio
 
I have a d500 and it has 13 f8 focus points. My 150-500mm sigma will not autofocus with their matching teleconverter. It has the same 6.3 f stop at the 150 600mm

Apr 26, 2020 04:07:03   #
Pablo8 Loc: Nottingham UK.
 
I have only done initial tests with the newly acquired Sigma 1401, on my Sigma 150~600 C. Sharpness seems to be held OK. Using on the Nikon D610 body. Time , and the lifting of the Lock-down will tell the full effect in proper use.

If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2021 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.