Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Canon300D
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 next>>
May 11, 2013 22:40:45   #
paul_fry55
 
HI Everyone
I just found this web site. I'm hoping to get some great info from everyone. I've had my Canon 300D sense it came out on the market. But I've only used it in auto. I've been reading my manuel & getting on the web to learn how to take better pictures.
So my first question is what lenses should I be looking to buy as I get better at taking pictures. I have the EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 lense. I'm looking for two more lenses. I'll be take sports picture of my grandkids mostly. I love fishing so there will be alot of picture on the boat.

| Reply
May 11, 2013 22:42:06   #
St3v3M
 
Welcome to UHH

| Reply
May 11, 2013 22:59:22   #
Ched49 (a regular here)
 
Welcome Paul, Before you by lens, you should learn how use the manual settings of your camera. Get a few books on basic exposure, most of all, see if you can buy a book about the 300D. A book about your specific camera will tell you a lot more than your user manual and easier to understand. Hope this helps...good luck.

| Reply
May 11, 2013 23:17:27   #
paul_fry55
 
Thanks, I've been looking for a book about the 300D. But as right now I haven't found one.

| Reply
May 12, 2013 03:27:07   #
Leicaflex
 
Welcome to the HOG Paul - Enjoy

| Reply
May 12, 2013 04:02:38   #
stryvya
 
why not do a search on Google, this "300D+book" (without the quote marks) brings up lots of links.

Go for it

| Reply
May 12, 2013 04:44:01   #
JR1 (banned)
 
The 300D is an old (but good) camera, but slow for sports as it only has a 2.5 fps frame rate, and a small buffer of just 4 frames, so timing and learning that will be crucial as you only have 2 seconds to get the shot before the camera slows right down.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

If you want a very good lens then the Canon 70-300 non IS is a very good choice.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Should get a good one cheap, it IS a very good lens but remember the limitations of the camera.

| Reply
May 12, 2013 05:59:15   #
creativ simon (a regular here)
 
paul_fry55 wrote:
HI Everyone
I just found this web site. I'm hoping to get some great info from everyone. I've had my Canon 300D sense it came out on the market. But I've only used it in auto. I've been reading my manuel & getting on the web to learn how to take better pictures.
So my first question is what lenses should I be looking to buy as I get better at taking pictures. I have the EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 lense. I'm looking for two more lenses. I'll be take sports picture of my grandkids mostly. I love fishing so there will be alot of picture on the boat.
HI Everyone br I just found this web site. I'm ho... (show quote)

Welcome and enjoy

| Reply
May 12, 2013 06:02:06   #
creativ simon (a regular here)
 
JR1 wrote:
The 300D is an old (but good) camera, but slow for sports as it only has a 2.5 fps frame rate, and a small buffer of just 4 frames, so timing and learning that will be crucial as you only have 2 seconds to get the shot before the camera slows right down.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

If you want a very good lens then the Canon 70-300 non IS is a very good choice.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Should get a good one cheap, it IS a very good lens but remember the limitations of the camera.
The 300D is an old (but good) camera, but slow for... (show quote)


JR Hi, how do you rate the 70-300 non IS compared to the 70-200 F4 non IS. Just interested on your view. Thanks

| Reply
May 12, 2013 06:36:01   #
JR1 (banned)
 
Personally two completely different lenses, not just because of the lengths.

For sports I would chose the 300mm length i.e motor sports motor bike racing etc, you get extra pull, but of course the other is much much better build

However, DO you need a 500mm for sports,, yes and no.

IF you are close enough then the 200mm is superb as "KR" says.......

"This is an ideal lens for daytime sports because you don't need IS (Image Stabilization) or the f/2.8 speed of Canon's other 70-200mm lenses, and this one retains the super-fast focusing and excellent image quality you do need.

"This is a high quality, fast focusing tele zoom. Get it if you want a budget price for a super quality optic and can survive without IS or f/2.8."

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-200mm-f4.htm

in fact the IS one will be my next lens for weddings

Of the two, which would I personally buy, well both are well established, I shoot sports at 1/160th to 1/250th of a second for blur as a crisp sharp image does not convey speed.

God, which one, ok, 70-200.

| Reply
May 12, 2013 06:42:36   #
JR1 (banned)
 
These were shot at about 75mm so DO you need a 300mm

| Reply
May 12, 2013 06:46:00   #
JR1 (banned)
 
JR1 wrote:
These were shot at about 75mm so DO you need a 300mm











| Reply
May 12, 2013 08:11:26   #
creativ simon (a regular here)
 
Thank you JR for your reply, I bought the 70-200 F4 about 3 years ago, so sounds like I made the right choice

Was just interested in your opinion because things change as the years pass by

Thanks again

| Reply
May 12, 2013 08:13:46   #
JR1 (banned)
 
creativ simon wrote:
Thank you JR for your reply, I bought the 70-200 F4 about 3 years ago, so sounds like I made the right choice

Was just interested in your opinion because things change as the years pass by

Thanks again


As I said I am looking for one as my next lens.

| Reply
May 12, 2013 10:14:48   #
Mesei
 
Welcome! I have the same camera and love it. It is a good learning camera. If you will be shooting from a boat, I would highly recommend a circular polarizing filter to help reduce glare.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2019 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.