Ugly Hedgehog® - Photography Forum
Home | Photography Digest | Active Topics | Search | Login | Register | Help
Canon vs Nikon: Which is better?
Here is the truth one of them doesn't want you to know
(and more, keep reading):
 

If you are a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or a professional photographer, then the benefits of signing up for our free daily photography forum digest are:

• We cover both film and digital photography.

• We talk about professional (D)SLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, mid-range/prosumer models, point-and-shoot, and camera phones.

• We cover all types of photography from portraits to landscapes to action shots to macro photography. (Which one interests you the most? Stop and ask yourself right now. You'll need to be able to answer that in just a minute. No matter what you shoot, you'll get better at just that. Read below to find out why.)

• We cover all aspects of photography from picking gear to composition to working with models, and everything in between.

• Each week you'll be receiving new tips and techniques on how to take the kind of pictures that will make your friends, relatives and peers just stare in amazement, speechless, when they see your work. Yep! That's how good your photography will become.

• Daily, you'll be receiving a photography forum digest with the latest photography tips, tricks, reviews and discussions.

• If you ever have a question or need help, you can always ask, and we'll cover your question in the following newsletter issue.

• And of course, it's all completely FREE!

• Let me repeat that. Since for some reason a lot of people contact us asking if the membership is really free: we are a social website for photographers, so we don't sell anything, and we don't charge any fees. It's as simple as that.

Enter your name and e-mail address below, and you'll be instantly added to our photography mailing list distribution. Right away, you'll get access to more photography-related material (pictures, tips, tricks, reviews) than contained in all photography books and magazines you could ever buy. And you'll get all that for free.

Don't delay! Join the best photography community on the Internet.

First name:

E-mail address:

It's FREE, and you'll receive my first e-mail right away. Also, you'll get instant access to the most recent topics on our photography forum: hundreds of great tips from other photographers.

(A new newsletter issue is released each week. So if you don't sign up now, you'll miss this week's digest.)

 
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
We MUST Get Rid Of These Offensive Sports Team Names
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
Jan 16, 2014 07:40:07   #
Gitzo
 
A liberal wrote in our daily newspaper the following;

I agree with our Native American population---I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington "Redskins". One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as warriors, but nay nay....

We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch The Kansas City "Chiefs", The Atlanta "Braves" and the Cleveland "Indians". If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name "Redskins" makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland "Browns".

The Carolina "Panthers" obviously were named to keep the memory of the militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. Offensive to all white folk.

The New York "Yankees" offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war between the states that cost this country so many young men's
lives.

(Besides, the South shall rise again!! )

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our football team names.
Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans "Saints", Los Angeles "Angels" or the San Diego "Padres".

The fact that there are birds on their shirts does not protect either the Arizona or the St. Louis "Cardinals"---gone!

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged as their way of life. We are talking the horrible Oakland "Raiders", the Minnesota "Vikings", the Tampa Bay "Buccaneers" and the Pittsburgh "Pirates"! Gone!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children---and it is all about the children.

The Green Bay "Packers" and the St. Louis "Rams"--promote gay men. Wrong message to our children.

The San Diego "Chargers" promote irresponsible spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York "Giants" and the San Francisco "Giants" promote obesity--a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati "Reds" promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee "Brewers"---well, that goes without saying.... Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should.
A high priority directly behind efficiently managing our country's health care. Amen.
 
Jan 16, 2014 07:46:47   #
catfish252
 
That just about sums it up doesn't it?
Jan 16, 2014 07:47:55   #
Bill MN
 
Gitzo wrote:
I agree with our Native American population---I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington "Redskins". One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as warriors, but nay nay....

We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch The Kansas City "Chiefs", The Atlanta "Braves" and the Cleveland "Indians". If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name "Redskins" makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland "Browns".

The Carolina "Panthers" obviously were named to keep the memory of the militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. Offensive to all white folk.

The New York "Yankees" offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war between the states that cost this country so many young men's
lives.

(Besides, the South shall rise again!! )

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our football team names.
Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans "Saints", Los Angeles "Angels" or the San Diego "Padres".

The fact that there are birds on their shirts does not protect either the Arizona or the St. Louis "Cardinals"---gone!

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged as their way of life. We are talking the horrible Oakland "Raiders", the Minnesota "Vikings", the Tampa Bay "Buccaneers" and the Pittsburgh "Pirates"! Gone!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children---and it is all about the children.

The Green Bay "Packers" and the St. Louis "Rams"--promote gay men. Wrong message to our children.

The San Diego "Chargers" promote irresponsible spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York "Giants" and the San Francisco "Giants" promote obesity--a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati "Reds" promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee "Brewers"---well, that goes without saying.... Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should.
A high priority directly behind efficiently managing our country's health care. Amen.
I agree with our Native American population---I am... (show quote)


We should get rid of Gitso's idea and leave everything else the way it is. Enough of telling people what to do. Nothing offends me.
Jan 16, 2014 07:51:58   #
deauxrite
 
Highly insulted..really. I strive to not be offended. If I find something or someone offensive, I remove myself from it (them) or ignore it. Gitzo included.
Jan 16, 2014 07:54:03   #
Gitzo
 
Bill MN wrote:
We should get rid of Gitso's idea and leave everything else the way it is. Enough of telling people what to do. Nothing offends me.


Bill....man, you're QUICK! You replied to that post before I finished posting it! Read it again! I had forgot to add the most important part! (The FIRST line ) (It's a little different now )
Jan 16, 2014 08:02:06   #
georgevedwards
 
Then I propose just renaming all professional sports teams with politically correct names. Actually as long as we are cleaning house lets eliminate football altogether, much worse than inappropriate names is the violent nature of the game which by its very nature gives concussive brain damage to all who play it. Bashing heads together constantly, one human violently hitting another, what kind of message is this? I submit that future generations will look back at us like we look at the "games" at the Coliseum in Roman times. (efforts to make safer rules bring cries of "Its Football" the same way concern over mutilated contestests in the coliseum were met by "They are Gladiators"} (just look at the similarities in in the armor of football players and of gladiators). And science has proven that much worse than single concussions which knock a player unconscious are the cumulative effects of the lesser hits which cause brain degeneration even later in life. There is of course, one big difference, the Gladiators had no choice, the football player does it of his own free will. I admit I enjoy watching the NFL and am looking forward to the Superbowl like any other red blooded american. Yet as I shop for groceries in the evening during the winter months, I see across the street a large football field at a public school, hundreds of parents and what look like toddlers show up. Very small children in full tackle uniforms with shoulder pads and helmets, engaging in the rites of tackle football as played by the professionals. And somehow a part of me is appalled, I know chidren at young ages do not have fully formed skulls, the sutures that divide the skull do not solidify until teenage years, and I just wonder if they should be allowed to do that. Yes, I know, it seems unthinkable to deny youth the pleasures of football, when I was kid I wanted nothing more than to have been able to do that. It is something to think about.
Gitzo wrote:
A liberal wrote in our daily newspaper the following;

I agree with our Native American population---I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington "Redskins". One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as warriors, but nay nay....

We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch The Kansas City "Chiefs", The Atlanta "Braves" and the Cleveland "Indians". If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name "Redskins" makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland "Browns".

The Carolina "Panthers" obviously were named to keep the memory of the militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. Offensive to all white folk.

The New York "Yankees" offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war between the states that cost this country so many young men's
lives.

(Besides, the South shall rise again!! )

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our football team names.
Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans "Saints", Los Angeles "Angels" or the San Diego "Padres".

The fact that there are birds on their shirts does not protect either the Arizona or the St. Louis "Cardinals"---gone!

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged as their way of life. We are talking the horrible Oakland "Raiders", the Minnesota "Vikings", the Tampa Bay "Buccaneers" and the Pittsburgh "Pirates"! Gone!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children---and it is all about the children.

The Green Bay "Packers" and the St. Louis "Rams"--promote gay men. Wrong message to our children.

The San Diego "Chargers" promote irresponsible spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York "Giants" and the San Francisco "Giants" promote obesity--a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati "Reds" promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee "Brewers"---well, that goes without saying.... Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should.
A high priority directly behind efficiently managing our country's health care. Amen.
A liberal wrote in our daily newspaper the followi... (show quote)
 
Jan 16, 2014 08:04:52   #
joehel2 (a regular here)
 
There is nothing that isn't offensive to someone. I vote for Washington Redskin (potatoes).
Jan 16, 2014 08:06:20   #
Gitzo
 
deauxrite wrote:
Highly insulted..really. I strive to not be offended. If I find something or someone offensive, I remove myself from it (them) or ignore it. Gitzo included.


Deauxrite.......please read my reply to Bill (I think? ) BTW....what the hell is everyone doing up so early? I got up because my wife was up, but now she went back to bed, so I think I'm gonna run down the road to the General Store and "hang out" with the "early birds" for a while.
Jan 16, 2014 08:08:38   #
catfish252
 
I understood you fine -- when did America get so touchy?, we used to be so much more relaxed about things, now everyone has to carry a banner, have a cause, cry when someone looks at them wrong. "Mommy, Johnny stuck his tongue out at me."We have become a country of cry babies. Time for Americans to toughen up.
Jan 16, 2014 08:09:54   #
Iwantitall
 
Sorry Gitzo can't work. Liberals seem to be offended by EVERYTHING.
Since illegal aliens are now called undocumented workers.
Food stamps sounded offensive so now it is called link and snap.
How many times are the descriptions of perps explained by what color clothes they wore and maybe height and weight but not the color of the actual criminal? Hmmm I would think that would be important to even think of catching them. The list goes on and on. The wordpolice are out in numbers with nothing better to do.
Mike
Jan 16, 2014 08:16:52   #
Gitzo
 
Bill MN wrote:
We should get rid of Gitso's idea and leave everything else the way it is. Enough of telling people what to do. Nothing offends me.


Bill.......Read it AGAIN! It wasn't MY idea! I was some idiot lib's "idea"! I wouldn't care if Green Bay wanted to call themselves the "Fudge Packers"! (Although it would probably be more appropriate to leave that name for San Francisco? )
 
Jan 16, 2014 08:31:56   #
Tom G (a regular here)
 
You are a genuine "Piece of Work".

FYI (not that you care): The Cleveland Browns were named after their first Head Coach, Paul Brown.
Jan 16, 2014 08:35:59   #
jerryc41 (a regular here)
 
Gitzo wrote:
A liberal wrote in our daily newspaper the following;

I agree with our Native American population---I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington "Redskins".

Our local school district is called Onteora, an Indian (Native American) word meaning something about sky and mountains. The logo is the profile of an Indian head. Years ago, some outside agitators decided that the Indian head was an insult to the American Indian - or maybe they just wanted to cause trouble - and they petitioned the school board to change the logo and eliminate the name "Indians" from school teams.

This went on for months, with articles in the newspaper, crowded board meetings, demonstrations, etc. Both liberals and conservatives in our district banded together to maintain the school name and logo. Even Indians said they saw nothing offensive about the name or the logo. Eventually, the dust settled, and things stayed the way they always were.

Sometimes, people do things just to get attention and stir things up.
Jan 16, 2014 08:51:08   #
Sirsnapalot (a regular here)
 
What ever happened to good old capitalism? If you don't like something you don't support it, let your money do the talking. If you want to live in a socialist country where the government tells you what to do than just move!
Jan 17, 2014 05:50:15   #
Opus
 
My wife thought "the fighting Irish" of Notre Dame was a slander, then she met my family and it all made sense.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
          
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2016 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.