Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
Nikon girl
Page <<first <prev 4 of 4
May 31, 2024 10:35:59   #
User ID
 
ckescher wrote:
Hi. I have only used Nikon cameras . I had been planning to purchase a Nikon z8. I read an interesting article on the new Olympus camera. I think it does everything I would want it to. I do some bird photography and other animals when available but I have been doing more landscape photos. I believe this camera is also capable of low light photography. Maybe the Aurora or Milkyway. I know there would be a learning curve involved.
Any opinions offered are appreciated.

I use Nikons but also OM. I expect some of the OM features that attract you are perfect for subjects youve mentioned. You can have high MP for landscape, with or without a tripod, and live composite is designed for subjects like the Milky Way, altho the duration of the latter would be constrained by the rotation of the Earth unless you have a sky tracking scope.

Reply
May 31, 2024 11:50:51   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
User ID wrote:
I use Nikons but also OM. I expect some of the OM features that attract you are perfect for subjects youve mentioned. You can have high MP for landscape, with or without a tripod, and live composite is designed for subjects like the Milky Way, altho the duration of the latter would be constrained by the rotation of the Earth unless you have a sky tracking scope.


Usually I’ll just use my Z9 for straight Milky Way shots and Live Composite for star trails. I love Live Composite for these kinds of shots.


(Download)


(Download)


(Download)

Reply
Jun 1, 2024 14:11:55   #
ricardo00
 
ckescher wrote:
Hi. I have only used Nikon cameras . I had been planning to purchase a Nikon z8. I read an interesting article on the new Olympus camera. I think it does everything I would want it to. I do some bird photography and other animals when available but I have been doing more landscape photos. I believe this camera is also capable of low light photography. Maybe the Aurora or Milkyway. I know there would be a learning curve involved.
Any opinions offered are appreciated.


Always curious to hear what people decide and how they feel afterward? Maybe too soon for you to have decided?

Reply
 
 
Jun 1, 2024 15:41:22   #
jcboy3
 
SuperflyTNT wrote:
Usually I’ll just use my Z9 for straight Milky Way shots and Live Composite for star trails. I love Live Composite for these kinds of shots.


When did Nikon add live composite to the Z9? At least most (all?) Olympus cameras have it.

Reply
Jun 3, 2024 09:48:14   #
NCMtnMan Loc: N. Fork New River, Ashe Co., NC
 
Perhaps before you go off on a brand change you should learn how people have been doing this kind of photography for decades already with many different cameras and brands. It obviously isn't as much about the equipment as it is about knowledge of using the equipment. Knowledge is often the remedy for GAS.

Reply
Jun 4, 2024 00:31:22   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
jcboy3 wrote:
When did Nikon add live composite to the Z9? At least most (all?) Olympus cameras have it.


They didn’t. I also have an OM-1.

Reply
Jun 4, 2024 00:35:28   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
NCMtnMan wrote:
Perhaps before you go off on a brand change you should learn how people have been doing this kind of photography for decades already with many different cameras and brands. It obviously isn't as much about the equipment as it is about knowledge of using the equipment. Knowledge is often the remedy for GAS.


I think you missed the entire point of this thread. She didn’t say she was looking to get new equipment to do something she wasn’t already capable of, just mentioning the kind of photography she does. She has other reasons for wanting a new camera.

Reply
 
 
Jun 4, 2024 06:04:20   #
DavidPine Loc: Fredericksburg, TX
 
Z8 is a beast.

Reply
Jun 4, 2024 19:07:18   #
woodyH
 
WoodyH here. Been an Olympus m4/3rds user since 2012. Started with a pocketable P5_still use it and find 16mp no handicap; an M5— a weakness in the mode button & it (and my son's M5) caused them to be set aside; my son has my M1mk3 because it came to be a bit heavy (90 yrs. old); now a M10mk4. He shoots birds with their 150-600 & posts regularly on nature sites. I shoot street, events, nature— and edit to caricatures, photo-sketches.
Have Canon & Nikon sitting on the shelf— it's the M10 that travels with me. With the kit lens, 14-42 Power Zoom (28-84 full frame equivalent ). Combo weighs hardly a pound; because the lens collapses, easily pocketable.
BUT, there are strengths in other brands: the big Sonys are faster and more precise in focus for wildlife and particularly Birds-in-Flight. I liked my Canon mirrored and pre-R series mirrorless cameras (particularly the apsc 24mp T6 and M bodies w/10-18, 18-55, 55-250 & 28mm Macro lenses)— consider them heavy now. The R bodies consistently go only 2/3rds the way toward finishing how a feature should work, and there are too many complaints about reliability— even with the pro R5 &R3 bodies.
When Nikon brings out a replacement for their Z50 apsc I think, with their similar lenses, it would make a versatile kit— with Nikon's good color presentation. (Canon's strength is warm tone skin coloration, Olympus/OM and Nikon overall vibrant color rendition).

Reply
Jun 5, 2024 00:41:29   #
SuperflyTNT Loc: Manassas VA
 
woodyH wrote:
WoodyH here. Been an Olympus m4/3rds user since 2012. Started with a pocketable P5_still use it and find 16mp no handicap; an M5— a weakness in the mode button & it (and my son's M5) caused them to be set aside; my son has my M1mk3 because it came to be a bit heavy (90 yrs. old); now a M10mk4. He shoots birds with their 150-600 & posts regularly on nature sites. I shoot street, events, nature— and edit to caricatures, photo-sketches.
Have Canon & Nikon sitting on the shelf— it's the M10 that travels with me. With the kit lens, 14-42 Power Zoom (28-84 full frame equivalent ). Combo weighs hardly a pound; because the lens collapses, easily pocketable.
BUT, there are strengths in other brands: the big Sonys are faster and more precise in focus for wildlife and particularly Birds-in-Flight. I liked my Canon mirrored and pre-R series mirrorless cameras (particularly the apsc 24mp T6 and M bodies w/10-18, 18-55, 55-250 & 28mm Macro lenses)— consider them heavy now. The R bodies consistently go only 2/3rds the way toward finishing how a feature should work, and there are too many complaints about reliability— even with the pro R5 &R3 bodies.
When Nikon brings out a replacement for their Z50 apsc I think, with their similar lenses, it would make a versatile kit— with Nikon's good color presentation. (Canon's strength is warm tone skin coloration, Olympus/OM and Nikon overall vibrant color rendition).
WoodyH here. Been an Olympus m4/3rds user since 2... (show quote)


The OM-1's focus is plenty fast and accurate and with their Pro lenses will get you 50fps with full focus tracking.

Reply
Page <<first <prev 4 of 4
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.