Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main Photography Discussion
OP/TECH USA Straps
Page 1 of 2 next>
May 7, 2024 12:46:03   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
OP/TECH straps are great, and I've been using them on cameras for years. I have one serious complaint, though. The short straps that attach to the camera are too short. If they used maybe 3/4" more of the strap material, it would be so much easier to put them on and off. I just spent at least half an hour trying to remove a strap connector from a camera. I was able to remove the female end (finally), but there wasn't enough strap material to fit the male connector back through the loop.

I spent quite a while removing that little triangular piece of metal from the camera and then I had to remove the strap from that. I still have to remove the strap from the little plastic piece that was on the triangular piece. That still requires feeding the connector back through the loop, though. I'd rather not cut the strap and have to buy a new one. Of course, when I'm done, I'll have to reinstall the tiny plastic and the triangular piece.

In the picture below, each small strap goes through the carry point on the camera. Then, that large connector has to go back through the loop - which is too small. If I have to cut this one, it will cost me $8.00 for a new one.



Reply
May 7, 2024 14:04:28   #
DWU2 Loc: Phoenix Arizona area
 
I have been using OP/Tech straps for years. When I got my Canon R7, I also got a new OP/Tech strap, but couldn't get it to attach - the loops were short AND the space Canon provided was too tight. So, I put a small split ring on each side of the camera and attached the OP/Tech to the rings. Works great!

Reply
May 7, 2024 15:23:06   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
DWU2 wrote:
I have been using OP/Tech straps for years. When I got my Canon R7, I also got a new OP/Tech strap, but couldn't get it to attach - the loops were short AND the space Canon provided was too tight. So, I put a small split ring on each side of the camera and attached the OP/Tech to the rings. Works great!




I sent an email to OP/TECH

I'd like to see them change their name to something more reasonable.

Reply
 
 
May 7, 2024 15:26:36   #
MtManMD Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
 
Search Amazon for "op/tech connector straps". They have a thinner type if you have the wider version. Foto&Tech also have some that look longer and look compatible with op/tech straps.

I went through this pain recently.

Reply
May 7, 2024 15:28:17   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
MtManMD wrote:
Search Amazon for "op/tech connector straps". They have a thinner type if you have the wider version. Foto&Tech also have some that look longer and look compatible with op/tech straps.

I went through this pain recently.


Thanks.

Reply
May 7, 2024 17:40:09   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
I received a reply -

"These connectors are actually short by design. When we were developing them, it was discovered that a minimal presence was overwhelmingly preferred when the strap was removed from the camera. For the relatively few people who prefer a longer loop, they are available as a separate accessory, the System Connectors–Uni-Loop XL (https://www.optechusa.com/products/uni-loop?variant=44409846235431). These connectors are identical in operation, the only difference being that the loop portion is approximately 2” longer.


I know all too well from personal experience exactly what you are experiencing. Uni-Loops can certainly be challenging to put on and take off. There are times where it will take me several minutes to successfully get one off a camera. For me I have found that the best practice is to begin by folding the plastic connector backward at the leather “hinge” as far as possible. Then as I loosen the slipknot in the loop I am better positioned to begin feeding the plastic connector through it.


I hope this sheds some light on the Uni-Loop connection system. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns."


I'm going to order some of those longer loops.

Reply
May 7, 2024 20:03:05   #
Hip Coyote
 
jerryc41 wrote:


I sent an email to OP/TECH

I'd like to see them change their name to something more reasonable.

I doubt they're going to undo years of marketing, branding, website development and design, re-do artwork, packaging, contracts and other things I can't think of based on an email.

Reply
 
 
May 8, 2024 06:48:01   #
billnikon Loc: Pennsylvania/Ohio/Florida/Maui/Oregon/Vermont
 
jerryc41 wrote:
OP/TECH straps are great, and I've been using them on cameras for years. I have one serious complaint, though. The short straps that attach to the camera are too short. If they used maybe 3/4" more of the strap material, it would be so much easier to put them on and off. I just spent at least half an hour trying to remove a strap connector from a camera. I was able to remove the female end (finally), but there wasn't enough strap material to fit the male connector back through the loop.

I spent quite a while removing that little triangular piece of metal from the camera and then I had to remove the strap from that. I still have to remove the strap from the little plastic piece that was on the triangular piece. That still requires feeding the connector back through the loop, though. I'd rather not cut the strap and have to buy a new one. Of course, when I'm done, I'll have to reinstall the tiny plastic and the triangular piece.

In the picture below, each small strap goes through the carry point on the camera. Then, that large connector has to go back through the loop - which is too small. If I have to cut this one, it will cost me $8.00 for a new one.
OP/TECH straps are great, and I've been using them... (show quote)


Spiders are better. You should really go over to the dark side.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=spider%20camera%20holster%20spiderpro&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

Reply
May 8, 2024 08:24:41   #
photon-collector Loc: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
 
jerryc41 wrote:
OP/TECH straps are great, and I've been using them on cameras for years. I have one serious complaint, though. The short straps that attach to the camera are too short. If they used maybe 3/4" more of the strap material, it would be so much easier to put them on and off. I just spent at least half an hour trying to remove a strap connector from a camera. I was able to remove the female end (finally), but there wasn't enough strap material to fit the male connector back through the loop.

I spent quite a while removing that little triangular piece of metal from the camera and then I had to remove the strap from that. I still have to remove the strap from the little plastic piece that was on the triangular piece. That still requires feeding the connector back through the loop, though. I'd rather not cut the strap and have to buy a new one. Of course, when I'm done, I'll have to reinstall the tiny plastic and the triangular piece.

In the picture below, each small strap goes through the carry point on the camera. Then, that large connector has to go back through the loop - which is too small. If I have to cut this one, it will cost me $8.00 for a new one.
OP/TECH straps are great, and I've been using them... (show quote)


I have used the OP/TECH harness for several years. I have found that the PEAK DESIGN Anchor links work much better, and use them exclusively on my OP/TECH harness.


(Download)

Reply
May 8, 2024 08:26:44   #
Red6
 
DWU2 wrote:
I have been using OP/Tech straps for years. When I got my Canon R7, I also got a new OP/Tech strap, but couldn't get it to attach - the loops were short AND the space Canon provided was too tight. So, I put a small split ring on each side of the camera and attached the OP/Tech to the rings. Works great!


I had the same issue initially and came up with the split-ring solution just as you did. However, I did not like the way that the slip-ring slid back and forth in the Canon attachment point. Split-ring connectors are actually made for camera eyelet or hole type connections not the Canon slot type connection where they slide back and forth when connected.

However, I watched a couple of videos on Youtube showing how to get the Op-Tech straps through those Canon attachments and after just a few minutes I got them attached. The direct attachment feels much more secure and does not slide around. It really is not that difficult, you can use a wire to pull the Op-Tech strap material through the camera attach slot or even a spudger or small plastic tool to push it through. Takes a little patience but it is worth it. The plastic buckle then just folds back and through the loop and you are done. I was able to attach both of my Op Tech straps in less than 10 minutes.

Reply
May 8, 2024 08:37:19   #
Red6
 
photon-collector wrote:
I have used the OP/TECH harness for several years. I have found that the PEAK DESIGN Anchor links work much better, and use them exclusively on my OP/TECH harness.


I used the Peak Design attachments for a few years but never felt comfortable depending on those tiny connectors and cords supporting my camera and lens. I am sure they are strong but I just never trusted them. Besides that they are quite expensive.

Reply
 
 
May 8, 2024 08:45:12   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Hip Coyote wrote:
I doubt they're going to undo years of marketing, branding, website development and design, re-do artwork, packaging, contracts and other things I can't think of based on an email.


They don't have to. They already make those Uni-Loops with longer straps.

Reply
May 8, 2024 10:18:10   #
photoman43
 
jerryc41 wrote:
OP/TECH straps are great, and I've been using them on cameras for years. I have one serious complaint, though. The short straps that attach to the camera are too short. If they used maybe 3/4" more of the strap material, it would be so much easier to put them on and off. I just spent at least half an hour trying to remove a strap connector from a camera. I was able to remove the female end (finally), but there wasn't enough strap material to fit the male connector back through the loop.

I spent quite a while removing that little triangular piece of metal from the camera and then I had to remove the strap from that. I still have to remove the strap from the little plastic piece that was on the triangular piece. That still requires feeding the connector back through the loop, though. I'd rather not cut the strap and have to buy a new one. Of course, when I'm done, I'll have to reinstall the tiny plastic and the triangular piece.

In the picture below, each small strap goes through the carry point on the camera. Then, that large connector has to go back through the loop - which is too small. If I have to cut this one, it will cost me $8.00 for a new one.
OP/TECH straps are great, and I've been using them... (show quote)


Jerry, you can buy different versions (and their length varies) of that attachment strap from OpTech. My "complaint" is that most are too long. Some are adjustable. See here for more info:

https://www.optechusa.com/collections/connectors

The one you showed comes in two different lengths based on the info at their website.

Reply
May 8, 2024 10:38:33   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
photoman43 wrote:
Jerry, you can buy different versions (and their length varies) of that attachment strap from OpTech. My "complaint" is that most are too long. Some are adjustable. See here for more info:

https://www.optechusa.com/collections/connectors

The one you showed comes in two different lengths based on the info at their website.


Thanks.

Reply
May 8, 2024 10:59:41   #
photon-collector Loc: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
 
Red6 wrote:
I used the Peak Design attachments for a few years but never felt comfortable depending on those tiny connectors and cords supporting my camera and lens. I am sure they are strong but I just never trusted them. Besides that they are quite expensive.


Those "tiny connectors" are rated at 200 lbs each. Assuming two per camera, they together would hold 400 lbs. I know they look undersized, they are incredibly strong.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main Photography Discussion
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.