Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Smartphone Photography
Help in Processing this mobile photo further
Feb 29, 2024 07:52:59   #
Heather Iles Loc: UK, Somerset
 
This photo was taken with an i-phone 12 PRO MAX and was processed by my friend using the latest Lightroom Classic on his computer. I only have Lightroom 5.

(1) I would like the highlights of the post on the left to darkened.

(2) The post on the right is very dark and I would like the shadows to be lightened.

(3) I would like the patterned of the floor of the walkway be cloned onto the post.

Unfortunately, my skills are not sufficient to perform those tasks to a high standard and would like some help. Please free to use the photo and show me your results and let me know which programs were used and how they were done.

I look forward to seeing the different versions.

The photo was printed in an A3 print and it is as good as any print using a camera.

I have now this week purchased a Samsung S24 Ultra as I have seen the photos taken with that camera. I am not saying that the camera is perfect, but with the best processing possible, it is surprising what can be achieved with the mobile phone which I am finding that I use a lot more for photography as it is always with me and there is no weight and can be carried around more easily. At the age of 76 soon, I am loving the new technology and don'gt intend to be left behind.

Much obliged.

Heather



Reply
Feb 29, 2024 08:23:52   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
What you do need here is a level horizon; straightening would do wonders for the photo.

Other than that, you have a pretty nice shot there, and I really don't see the need for the changes you suggest.

Reply
Feb 29, 2024 08:57:51   #
Heather Iles Loc: UK, Somerset
 
jaymatt wrote:
What you do need here is a level horizon; straightening would do wonders for the photo.

Other than that, you have a pretty nice shot there, and I really don't see the need for the changes you suggest.


Hi Jay

Ah yes, I wouldn't argue with you, but I forgot to say that I intend to enter it into my club's competition next year and as you know, Judges are very critical and the suggestions I have made are what the Judge will pick up on.

The present version as it is will be going into a B&W Group Exhibition in April.

Heather

Reply
 
 
Feb 29, 2024 12:41:15   #
Billy Boy Loc: MO
 
no muss no fuss just used Radiant!



Reply
Feb 29, 2024 13:07:17   #
Heather Iles Loc: UK, Somerset
 
Thank you, Billy, but a Judge would still say that the highlights on the left rail under the rope need darkening slightly.

There is still no detail on the top of the black post.

I know that I am asking a lot but my post-processing skills are not advanced.

This is a photo taken on my holiday to Barbados at Christmas. The place of my birth and at 75 I knew that it would be the last time and it was. Unfortunately, the old buildings and the roads are in disrepair and it is a bit "tatty" and global warming has taken its toll on the shoreline. Where I played as a child it is hardly a beach now.

On my return to the club which I only joined in September and hadn't shown any photos and with the Chairman hinting that the new members should show their photos (you get the message) so on the "show and tell" night I showed about 8 photos demonstrating the effects of global warming. I did not crop or do anything to them and I told them that it was best to leave them as they were instead of doing them badly. I did not show this photo as it does not depict global warming.

On a group workshop recently with a Guide, the topic was ICM and Rose the Guide that she wasn't going to show us how to use our cameras. Pauline said "Heather is the least experienced here". I could have died. She went on to say that she is very experienced, I didn't let it worry me but as a grownup I knew that it was what my husband would have said "tactless". I went on to tell her that I did not process the photos, but she wasn't interested in what I had to say so I shut up.

Pauline has not seen any of my photos before so made her opinion on the holiday snaps I showed that evening. Of course, I am not experienced, but at the same time I would not tell her that she should let another member operate the Zoom equipment at the club meetings as she spends too much time fiddling about while we sat there thinking how useless she is. Now that is not a kind thought on my part and neither was it a kind thing for her to have said.

It is for that reason that I want to process this photo to the best of my ability, as I am going to enter it in one of the club's competitions next year.

Perhaps now that everyone knows my story it may encourage others to have pity on me and show what they can do to enhance the photo further.

I just let it wash over my head and ignore such comments.

Heather

Reply
Feb 29, 2024 13:57:19   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
Heather Iles wrote:
Hi Jay

Ah yes, I wouldn't argue with you, but I forgot to say that I intend to enter it into my club's competition next year and as you know, Judges are very critical and the suggestions I have made are what the Judge will pick up on.

The present version as it is will be going into a B&W Group Exhibition in April.

Heather


Could be, but if you don’t straighten it, it will be tossed in the first round of judging.

Reply
Feb 29, 2024 14:03:16   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
Just a thought—you need to learn to edit your own photos if you are going to enter competitions. Judges also frown on all the work not being done by the photographer. Lightroom is pretty easy to learn, just beginning with the basic adjustments and learning more and more nuances a ps you go.

Reply
 
 
Feb 29, 2024 14:06:55   #
Heather Iles Loc: UK, Somerset
 
jaymatt wrote:
Just a thought—you need to learn to edit your own photos if you are going to enter competitions. Judges also frown on all the work not being done by the photographer. Lightroom is pretty easy to learn, just beginning with the basic adjustments and learning more and more nuances a ps you go.


Hi Jay

I know my way around Lightroom.

I will not use the version from here. I just wanted to see what could be done which would be the same as watching a Youtube video.

On the other hand what about A1 doing it for us? Now that is a different story altogether.

Reply
Feb 29, 2024 14:10:26   #
jaymatt Loc: Alexandria, Indiana
 
My thought about AI is that photos which are AI'd should be in their own category or disqualified.

Reply
Feb 29, 2024 14:57:31   #
johnny1950 Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
 
Heather
Good luck in the contest I agree straightening the horizon was the most critical. First thing Judges will throw a photo out for. The rest is different for every Judges pet peave. This is a great shot.
Johnny

Reply
Feb 29, 2024 15:11:34   #
Heather Iles Loc: UK, Somerset
 
jaymatt wrote:
My thought about AI is that photos which are AI'd should be in their own category or disqualified.


That is the thought so far in the UK. I wonder what the younger generation will think of that. On the other hand they don't join camera clubs as they don't want to mix with us old foggies.

Reply
 
 
Feb 29, 2024 15:13:11   #
Heather Iles Loc: UK, Somerset
 
johnny1950 wrote:
Heather
Good luck in the contest I agree straightening the horizon was the most critical. First thing Judges will throw a photo out for. The rest is different for every Judges pet peave. This is a great shot.
Johnny


Thank you, but there is room for improvement.

You are quite right about some Judges.

Reply
Mar 1, 2024 13:52:34   #
ssscomp
 
Not everyone’s cup of tea and your photo was great. I just can’t stop messing around with pictures in the backseat of the eye my car using Snapseed. Stay safe.


(Download)

Reply
Mar 1, 2024 17:18:01   #
Heather Iles Loc: UK, Somerset
 
ssscomp wrote:
Not everyone’s cup of tea and your photo was great. I just can’t stop messing around with pictures in the backseat of the eye my car using Snapseed. Stay safe.


Thank you sscomp. I haven't yet tried Snapseed.

It would be interesting to see what those with mobile phone apps do with this photo which was taken with i-phone 12 PRO MAX. It appears that they are rather shy.

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Smartphone Photography
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.