Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
GPS Speed Limit
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
May 25, 2023 11:43:25   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
I bet you didn't know that commercial GPS units have a speed and altitude limit. If you drive your car faster than 1,200 MPH, the GPS will stop working. If you fly your plane over 60,000 feet, the GPS will stop working. Fortunately, I haven't run into either problem - yet.

GPS was developed for the military, and it was kept secret. When a Korean airliner strayed into Russian airspace and was shot down, the US decided to make GPS available to the public, but with restrictions on accuracy. So why the speed and altitude limits? Security. With GPS units available all around the world, there was a fear that someone could integrate one into a missile. The speed and altitude limits would provide a safety margin. A few years later, the accuracy limitation was removed. From what I understand, the speed and altitude limits are still in place.

Reply
May 25, 2023 11:58:33   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
On my GPS, the speed I'm going turns red if I exceed the posted speed for that section of road.
Pretty accurate with the changes in speed limits on a road, within less than 100 feet.

Reply
May 25, 2023 12:05:21   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
Longshadow wrote:
On my GPS, the speed I'm going turns red if I exceed the posted speed for that section of road.
Pretty accurate with the changes in speed limits on a road, within less than 100 feet.


Oh that's what the red means I thought mine was turning black because I was going to slow, I mean when its red I am keeping up with some of the traffic­čĄ¬

Reply
 
 
May 25, 2023 12:10:57   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
Manglesphoto wrote:
Oh that's what the red means I thought mine was turning black because I was going to slow, I mean when its red I am keeping up with some of the traffic­čĄ¬

Amazing how that works, eh?
Sometimes I'm 10 over and still get passed like I'm sitting still.

Reply
May 25, 2023 12:13:45   #
dave.speeking Loc: Brooklyn OH
 
My GPS lets me know to take the highway exit about 2-3 seconds late.

Reply
May 25, 2023 12:17:55   #
Manglesphoto Loc: 70 miles south of St.Louis
 
dave.speeking wrote:
My GPS lets me know to take the highway exit about 2-3 seconds late.


You need a new GPS, mine even shows, which lane I need to be in to exit!!

Reply
May 25, 2023 12:21:39   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
dave.speeking wrote:
My GPS lets me know to take the highway exit about 2-3 seconds late.

Our Tom-Tom is great.

...Stay in the right lane.

...Exit right ahead.

...Take the exit right...

All with a visual on the map.

Plenty of time. And John Cleese's voice makes it fun.

Reply
 
 
May 25, 2023 13:37:40   #
RightOnPhotography Loc: Quebec,QC
 
While on subject, I wonder if somebody knows the answer to this question. When GPS in my car shows the time of arrival at the destination, what speed is used for this calculation - the posted speed limit on the road or the actual speed I am driving at?

Reply
May 25, 2023 13:38:12   #
pmorin Loc: Huntington Beach, Palm Springs
 
jerryc41 wrote:
I bet you didn't know that commercial GPS units have a speed and altitude limit. If you drive your car faster than 1,200 MPH, the GPS will stop working. If you fly your plane over 60,000 feet, the GPS will stop working. Fortunately, I haven't run into either problem - yet.

GPS was developed for the military, and it was kept secret. When a Korean airliner strayed into Russian airspace and was shot down, the US decided to make GPS available to the public, but with restrictions on accuracy. So why the speed and altitude limits? Security. With GPS units available all around the world, there was a fear that someone could integrate one into a missile. The speed and altitude limits would provide a safety margin. A few years later, the accuracy limitation was removed. From what I understand, the speed and altitude limits are still in place.
I bet you didn't know that commercial GPS units ha... (show quote)


In the mid seventies I was stationed at Beale AFB in Northern California. Our aircraft, the U2, was used for high altitude triangulation and testing of the GPS System electronics. We would launch 3 airplanes with specialized equipment and they would fly a proscribed flight pattern to test and tweak the new hardware and software. I was always happy to know that even though mine was a small role, I was still a part of that process.

Reply
May 25, 2023 13:44:09   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
RightOnPhotography wrote:
While on subject, I wonder if somebody knows the answer to this question. When GPS in my car shows the time of arrival at the destination, what speed is used for this calculation - the posted speed limit on the road or the actual speed I am driving at?

Speed limits on/along the suggested route.
At least mine does.

Considering it provides an estimated arrival time even when I have not started moving the car, or when I enter a destination while in the living room (portable unit), it goes by speed limits along the suggested trip route.
It will make adjustments to the arrival time as you drive based on getting there from your current location, based on remaining route speed limits.

Reply
May 25, 2023 13:51:41   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Longshadow wrote:
On my GPS, the speed I'm going turns red if I exceed the posted speed for that section of road.
Pretty accurate with the changes in speed limits on a road, within less than 100 feet.


Right, but it doesn't yell at me about it. It also tells me when I get too close to the lines or to the car in front of me. If I don't start up fast enough after the traffic starts moving when the light turns green, it makes a noise and tells me to get moving.

Reply
 
 
May 25, 2023 14:02:37   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
jerryc41 wrote:
Right, but it doesn't yell at me about it. It also tells me when I get too close to the lines or to the car in front of me. If I don't start up fast enough after the traffic starts moving when the light turns green, it makes a noise and tells me to get moving.

Mine only verbally tells me once, when I enter the destination and it gets done calculating the route.
After that, arrival time and miles remaining are alternately displayed on the top right.

The only time mine "yells" at me is when I don't make a turn in a quasi-remote area.
John Cleese says "Turn around when possible, so you are facing in the opposite direction that you are currently facing. Turn around when possible." If there are local alternate routes, like side streets in town, it will just recalculate using those.

Reply
May 25, 2023 14:04:48   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
One thing I like about the GPS is finding an alternate route around here. Today, I had to pick up the mail for a friend who's away. After that, I wanted to go a store. What was the best route to take? The GPs told me. I would have taken a longer route.

Reply
May 25, 2023 14:21:20   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
jerryc41 wrote:
One thing I like about the GPS is finding an alternate route around here. Today, I had to pick up the mail for a friend who's away. After that, I wanted to go a store. What was the best route to take? The GPs told me. I would have taken a longer route.

I like the "Home" button. No matter where I wind up, it will get me home.

Sometimes it takes us the "back way" to some places.
Like, where the heck are we and where are we going...

Reply
May 26, 2023 06:14:13   #
jerryc41 Loc: Catskill Mts of NY
 
Longshadow wrote:
I like the "Home" button. No matter where I wind up, it will get me home.

Sometimes it takes us the "back way" to some places.
Like, where the heck are we and where are we going...


Yes! That's great. I would like to see programmable buttons for places I go regularly but not frequently.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-photography talk)
UglyHedgehog.com - Forum
Copyright 2011-2023 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.