Ugly Hedgehog - Photography
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Links and Resources
Is Creativity In Photography Being Destroyed?
Page 1 of 2 next>
Apr 23, 2023 22:31:27   #
Mac Loc: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia now Hernando Co. Fl.
 
https://fstoppers.com/opinion/creativity-photography-being-destroyed-630867

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 07:46:26   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
No, just augmented...

One can choose to be creative on one's own, or not.

Of course, as with most things, it's easier to have someone (or something) else do the work.

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 09:00:41   #
BebuLamar
 
You get more creative when using technology like AI to create your images. It's photography is going because there is less and less of the image capturing to the extend of none. Images are created without capturing them so it becomes more creative just less photographical.

Reply
 
 
Apr 24, 2023 11:20:40   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
Spot on post. In all actuality, I was working on posting something very similar simply as a question. It was inspired by the number of posts extolling some new camera releases as opposed to discussing techniques. There does seem to be an imbalance when comparing new camera releases compared to techniques.

Some of this reflects back on UHH members inquiring as to what camera was used to make a photograph when none is listed. In all reality, it doesn't matter. What matters is technique.
--Bob
Mac wrote:
https://fstoppers.com/opinion/creativity-photography-being-destroyed-630867

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 11:30:42   #
Architect1776 Loc: In my mind
 
rmalarz wrote:
Spot on post. In all actuality, I was working on posting something very similar simply as a question. It was inspired by the number of posts extolling some new camera releases as opposed to discussing techniques. There does seem to be an imbalance when comparing new camera releases compared to techniques.

Some of this reflects back on UHH members inquiring as to what camera was used to make a photograph when none is listed. In all reality, it doesn't matter. What matters is technique.
--Bob
Spot on post. In all actuality, I was working on p... (show quote)


Sometimes lens is useful.

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 11:41:07   #
mindzye Loc: WV
 
Agreed - as well as what one 'sees' when choosing a setting to shoot.

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 13:02:52   #
scallihan Loc: Tigard, OR
 
Does UHH need a separate AI category for those images that are entirely AI creations? But then it would no longer be a photography forum.

Reply
 
 
Apr 24, 2023 13:04:29   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
scallihan wrote:
Does UHH need a separate AI category for those images that are entirely AI creations? But then it would no longer be a photography forum.

How so????
It would still be a photography forum, with a section for AI. It would simply be a sub-set in the forum.
Adding an AI section will not preempt photography.........

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 16:26:05   #
BebuLamar
 
Longshadow wrote:
How so????
It would still be a photography forum, with a section for AI. It would simply be a sub-set in the forum.
Adding an AI section will not preempt photography.........


I don't think you can call it photography if no lens and no camera was used. It's certain creative and I would consider it's more creative than photography.

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 16:41:00   #
scallihan Loc: Tigard, OR
 
Interesting fact check by Snopes about bee image:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/close-up-bees-face/

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 16:50:57   #
mindzye Loc: WV
 
It still looks artificial; over cooked and 'plasticized'. Digital art, not photography, though the image was probably assembled from a plethora of 'photographed' bee images.

Reply
 
 
Apr 24, 2023 17:15:35   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
BebuLamar wrote:
I don't think you can call it photography if no lens and no camera was used. It's certain creative and I would consider it's more creative than photography.

No, one would call it AI.
The owner of UHH would have to decide if an AI section would be okay.

But think about it, AI would be creating an image.
Does everything here have to be an image out of the camera???
What about composites, they are created in the mind of the photographer, not artificially,
NOR in a camera..... Composites technically are not photography.... But pieces of them are.
SO, photography if it is created in the mind of a human? With a camera?

It depends on how technical and persnickety people want to get.....

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 17:48:37   #
rmalarz Loc: Tempe, Arizona
 
Check out Man Ray and his Rayographs.
--Bob
BebuLamar wrote:
I don't think you can call it photography if no lens and no camera was used. It's certain creative and I would consider it's more creative than photography.

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 17:50:02   #
scallihan Loc: Tigard, OR
 
Longshadow wrote:
No, one would call it AI.
The owner of UHH would have to decide if an AI section would be okay.

But think about it, AI would be creating an image.
Does everything here have to be an image out of the camera???
What about composites, they are created in the mind of the photographer, not artificially,
NOR in a camera..... Composites technically are not photography.... But pieces of them are.
SO, photography if it is created in the mind of a human? With a camera?

It depends on how technical and persnickety people want to get.....
No, one would call it AI. br The owner of UHH woul... (show quote)


Composites, as you pointed out, are pieces of photography, imagined and manipulated by the photographer (or editor) into a discrete image. Playing devil's advocate here, even an AI-created image draws on photographs to make a composite. The AI program doesn't have an imagination to "think up" something entirely new. (Not yet, anyway.)

Reply
Apr 24, 2023 17:55:43   #
Longshadow Loc: Audubon, PA, United States
 
scallihan wrote:
Composites, as you pointed out, are pieces of photography, imagined and manipulated by the photographer (or editor) into a discrete image. Playing devil's advocate here, even an AI-created image draws on photographs to make a composite. The AI program doesn't have an imagination to "think up" something entirely new. (Not yet, anyway.)


A person tells the AI what he wants.

I can tell a friend what I want, he may or may not be able to accommodate the request, depending on where he lives, what is at his disposal, and what I want.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Links and Resources
UglyHedgehog.com
Copyright 2011-2024 Ugly Hedgehog, Inc.